• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is there any link between IBD and Hernias?

Crohn's Mom

Hi all :)

My brother also has CD so I am asking this for him.

He has, through the last 10+ years, had surgeries to deal with 4 different hernias. Now he is going for a surgical consult this week because they believe he has two more.

So, I am wondering, is there any link between IBD and developing hernias?
Is there any research on this that anyone may know of ?

I appreciate any responses and opinions !

He takes 6mp and prednisone (as needed).

I don't have research on this, but I don't think there is a connection. I've typed up a bunch of hernia operations and I think only about 2 of those patients also had IBD. Also, considering hernias are caused by a weakness in the muscle, I don't believe there would be a connection.

Good question!

Has he had abdominal surgery for his Crohn's? If so, that could play a role in development of hernias. Poor guy!!!

annawato

Staff member
Hernias can be caused by straining to go but thats the only link between crohn's and hernias I can think of. I guess abdominal pain could make us not have as strong abdominal muscles as we should and so predispose us to hernias - is he overweight or got a big tummy?
Are the hernias all abdominal?

Crohn's Mom

Thanks Anna :)

No he is not overweight , or big tummy - matter of fact he's a bit underweight and malnourished IMO.

He's a carpenter and contractor by trade - maybe that contributes ?
Just seems odd that he has had so many.
And I know of a few other IBD'ers that have had hernia troubles, so I just wonder if there is a connection - or just coincidence.

annawato

Staff member
You never know with crohn's - it seems able to cause so many extra-intestinal problems. Its always interesting to find out how many people get a certain problem - I'm sure we will unearth new links.
I think being a carpenter would definitely contribute, but maybe crohn's does predispose cos like you said there seems to be a lot of people here who have them although I think a fair few of them would be from abdominal surgery or stomas.
Maybe being underweight and malnourished ( IYO :) ) means he doesn't have his normal strength for lifting. It is a puzzle.

I got what I think was a hernia many years ago. I was told that I was OK, so I didn't think too much about it. After that I started having what I now know are Crohn's symptoms. I have been told that there "shouldn't" be a connection between the 2, but I still have my doubts.

I got what I think was a hernia many years ago. I was told that I was OK, so I didn't think too much about it. After that I started having what I now know are Crohn's symptoms. I have been told that there "shouldn't" be a connection between the 2, but I still have my doubts.
Hey mark in trying find a relation. Did you have a mesh patch put in?

crohnsinct

So weird this should suddenly surface. My 16 year old daughter with Crohn's was just told they suspect she has a hernia and if so she will need surgery. A lot of people have them so I really do wonder if a disproportionate amount of IBDers get them.

I started having all my bowel problems after my hernia. But I never had traditional crohns symptoms just inflammation in my ileum right above my hernia. Lost weight slow over 5 years bowel movements close to normal. Crohnsinct if you get the hernia repair find a doctor that doesn't use mesh! It's not worth putting foreign material in your gut