• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is there such thing as too much antacids?

In the rum of a day I take zantac, rabeprazole twice a day, tums when needed and I get 3mg of zantac in my tpn each night... can a person take to much?

My doc is supposed to call in a presc for nexium instead of rabeprazole bbut hasnt yet. Will I really notice a difference?

Yes,you can take to many ant-acids I wouldn't,t be taking tums on top of prescription ones.i,m on lanzoprazole and it says do not take over the counter ant acids they can stop acid production and food digestion

There's a lot of your digestion that works only at correct acidity levels. If you exceed the recommendations, you could really start to face additional difficulties. If you need that much acid control, you need to check with your GI for other causes.

The different proton pump inhibitors (like lansoprazole, Nexium (esomeprazole), rabeprazole, etc.) do work differently from each other. If the ones you've tried haven't worked, it's worth trying others. I've personally found that pantoprazole worked somewhat but lansoprazole works very well. Exactly which ones work for you may be different, but the important thing is to keep trying to find ones that do work for you.

DON'T keep taking over-the-counter antacids. If your stomach is not acidic enough, your digestion will be affected and you also can run the risk of getting sicker more frequently -- the acid doesn't just break food down, it also breaks down harmful bacteria.

If you're getting heartburn or acid reflux or ulcers in your esophagus, you need to talk to your doctor about your symptoms to make sure he or she can treat you appropriately.