• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is This a Crohns Flare?

Hi. I am new here but not new to Crohns. I was diagnosed 41 yrs ago (Wow..I can’t believe it’s been that long!) at 16yrs old. I had been on everything but biológics which was what my Dr. Was moving in to until I stumbled upon LDN. I have been in it for 10-12 years and have been pretty much in remission since. A few weeks ago I started having a lot of gas…which produced either yellowish/tanish floating blobs or clear liquid sometimes tinged pink or red,.. being worse in the morning upon waking And eventually a normal bowel movement. This has been going on everyday now with occasional soft stool. It’s been so long since I have Usually in the past I would have multiple trips to the bathroom with diarrhea. Does any of this sound like something any of you have experienced?
A couple of things that I have thought may be contributing are: At the moment I have an infected impacted wisdom tooth which I will be having surgery for (no antibiotics taken) I also had pork which I had to handle raw and also made a kale salad which I massaged and I was concerned at the time if I had washed my hands well enough. I also have internal hemorrhoids. Thanks for any reply’s and/or input.

Hi. I am new here but not new to Crohns. I was diagnosed 41 yrs ago (Wow..I can’t believe it’s been that long!) at 16yrs old. I had been on everything but biológics which was what my Dr. Was moving in to until I stumbled upon LDN. I have been in it for 10-12 years and have been pretty much in remission since. A few weeks ago I started having a lot of gas…which produced either yellowish/tanish floating blobs or clear liquid sometimes tinged pink or red,.. being worse in the morning upon waking And eventually a normal bowel movement. This has been going on everyday now with occasional soft stool. It’s been so long since I have Usually in the past I would have multiple trips to the bathroom with diarrhea. Does any of this sound like something any of you have experienced?
A couple of things that I have thought may be contributing are: At the moment I have an infected impacted wisdom tooth which I will be having surgery for (no antibiotics taken) I also had pork which I had to handle raw and also made a kale salad which I massaged and I was concerned at the time if I had washed my hands well enough. I also have internal hemorrhoids. Thanks for any reply’s and/or input.
Yikes! Sorry for the multiple errors and jumping around. Just trying to get it out quickly before work!

my little penguin

Staff member
Have you talked to your Gi about the blood ?
When was your last bloodwork/scopes /scans ?
Fecal caloprotectin study ?

Normal Gi stuff can happen to crohns patients
But always good to check in with the Gi when things seem off or different especially when blood is new

Yes… I had blood work and a fecal test last week and a colonoscopy is scheduled for the end of the week. Are all these normal procedures for suspected Crohns flares? Like I said it’s been a long time since I was under a Drs care for a flare. It has me concerned that the PA wanted to get me in for a scope ASAP.

Scipio

Yes… I had blood work and a fecal test last week and a colonoscopy is scheduled for the end of the week. Are all these normal procedures for suspected Crohns flares? Like I said it’s been a long time since I was under a Drs care for a flare. It has me concerned that the PA wanted to get me in for a scope ASAP.
Yes, all those are routine assessments of the state of a suspected Crohn's flare, and the colonoscopy is the most informative. Getting a first hand look at what is going on in the bowel will tell the doc a lot.

Well…my fecal calprotectin test came back high at 340.
The nurse called and told me that I have slightly elevated liver enzymes which I have had for the last few years on and off but a normal liver ultrasound, and need to retest in 4-6 weeks. She didn’t say anything in regards to the other test.
I am a nervous person and always thinks the worst…googling for hours the meaning of high calprotectin! It’s the first time I have ever taken that test. I read that IBD is usually in the much higher range…and lower 200/300 more serious.
Anyone have similar results or any insight?

Well…my fecal calprotectin test came back high at 340.
The nurse called and told me that I have slightly elevated liver enzymes which I have had for the last few years on and off but a normal liver ultrasound, and need to retest in 4-6 weeks. She didn’t say anything in regards to the other test.
I am a nervous person and always thinks the worst…googling for hours the meaning of high calprotectin! It’s the first time I have ever taken that test. I read that IBD is usually in the much higher range…and lower 200/300 more serious.
Anyone have similar results or any insight?
Just a follow-up incase it might help others with similar symptoms. My colonoscopy was this morning. There was spotty areas of inflammation and an active Crohns flare in the rectum area explaining the symptoms I had. I was prescribed a suppository and the Dr. Said it should clear up
pretty quickly. We will schedule an office visit soon to discuss diet, non prescription and prescription treatments to add to the LDN. Thank you for your responses and help.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello, sorry I'm late to the party but wanted to add just incase it is helpful for the future or for anyone else. Inflammatory bowel disease is such a patient specific condition that it can be difficult to assess things like calprotectin levels against other patients. My doctor always says that it is more about trends - is the level rising, falling or staying the same and how you are feeling. If your calprotectin starts to lower as you change your treatment then that's a
positive sign. Its a good way of tracking without causing pain and distress. The numbers
Themselves can look scary but I have known people have calprotectin in the 1000s and be ok while mine usually sits around 200 while my Crohn's is flaring badly. I hope you are starting to feel better and have your treatment figured out soon.