• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is this a fissure?

Hello everyone!

I have a tiny recurring sore area and I'm not sure if it's a fissure or not. It's just a small bit of broken skin (no more than about 4mm X 6mm) right at the bottom end of my bum cleft (?proper term!). It doesn't actually meet the anus at all. There's no swelling or inflammation at all, and it only hurts when I touch it (wiping or washing) and occasionally when actually passing poo. I just put Sudacrem on it when it is sore.

Do you get fissures on the outside, or are they always in the rectum/anus?

I will mention it when I see my GI soon, but in the meantime I just wondered if those of you with personal experience could advise me?

Thanks,
Nitty

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Nitty,

My kids don't have perianal disease so I can't be of much help to you as far as personal experience goes, sorry. :(

But as to a fissure...they are something that is located in the anal canal so what you have is not a fissure.

Yes, definitely talk to/show your GI. The thing you would need to rule out is a fistula.

Good luck and let keep us posted with how you get on. :hug:

Dusty. xxx

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Have you been having frequent bowel movements nitty? Its possible that it could be irritation from frequent wiping or could be a small tear due to irritation. Either way its still something to show your GI and let them examine it. When is your GI appointment?

Thanks guys,

I'm not too worried about a fistula (yet - but obviously it did cross my mind) because it does seem to get better if I take care. I'm more inclined towards the likelihood that it is just physical damage from wiping, as Jennifer said, and I will take extra care from now on. I suspect that the disease has just meant that tissue is generally more delicate down there and it gets messed about with more - I don't have diarrhoea but I definitely go more often (and looser) [TMI?!] than I did before my first flare.

I will definitely mention it to the doctor, I'm a firm believer in knocking things on the head before something worse gets a chance to take hold.

Nitty