• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is this a logical routine?

hello,
so i am still pretty fresh out of surgery and trying to build solid routines for everything i see i been doing wrong my whole life....
lucky at least, i have studied some things like these alt medicines while helping other people before...to another level now of course tho....

i really didnt imagine i could even do it, but finally got a point ive cut out all my old crutches like mac n cheese or these chai latte.. i was perhaps just needing one pleasant thing in my day for a time, but i got to a point and finally realized its no more playing around.....i am still building but for my bare bones diet im now growing from looks about like...

--low sodium corned beef hash/sharp cheddar/smoothed wheat bread......thats my worst one i guess, nitrates hmm...but trying to not loose weight still as well so keeping it!
--otherwise, its millet porridge.....
--white potatoes and rice, with converted starches (heat/cool/heat)
--the best lean meats i can get, cooked as tender as possible
--pancakes and muffins....which im happy to see have endless varietys in these alt lectin free flours/grains today...which dont need sugar.
--half green banana and applesauce mainly to sweeten/moisten things......a drop of maple in my porridge or tea i still enjoy but more pure version of the tea.
--really not sure about trusting fruits and vegetables still....trying to work in things like carrots and spaghetti squash but i also must be practical as i only get to a grocery once a month or so....its a start anyway.....
--A2 dairy/grass fed butter......the best i can....i see this now online places like millers like 100$ a gallon, ok im buying a cow, but not today.
--otherwise, the harder cheeses i can get, when im wanting that dairy bad...

i was worried a bit about carb loading too much pushing my glucose lvls....at first coming out of hospital it was as much pudding and whatever crap i could find, every 2 hrs lol.....plus boost drinks between and everything.....but like i said i always knew i would have to change things in stages. heh...hopefully not too slowly...

ive only been converting the starches for, not even a week now....and i can already notice a difference....so getting to worry less about that....next appt with primary isnt till sept so bit of guess work here...

ok so then supplements....ive made these categories and came up with this pretty well just me and google....i was taking a paraprobiotic i cut out....then some immune boosters like andrographis i felt were counter productive after i ...."started to flare slightly"? ....honestly i still cant even tell what is normal or not....what will heal or not...surgery was september...anyway...

i think its incorporating a few ideas even down to brain and cellular communication i am trying to consider....

***Vitamins/Minerals***
-irwin living green liquid gel multi (12 spectrum multi including omegas---1 taken 3x per day)
-Vitamin D3(125 microgram) + K2(100microgram) With Vitamin C(225mg) Tablets | Cholecalciferol + Menaquinone-7 (MK-7) (1 per day with food)
-MethlyFolate (quatrefolic,400mcg---1 per day)
-Methlycobalamin sublingual (couple drops only vs 80k% rda label rec)
-Fulvic minerals (drops in water once per day, occasionally)
-Benfotiamine (150mg, occasionally)
-Bcomplex i make at approx 300-400% rda(Thiamine HCL, Riboflavin 5 Phosphate, Inositol Hexanicotinate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate, Biotin, and a pinch of benfotiamine) ...occasionally.
-Choline (alpha GPC, CPD choline, or bitartrate if i have nothing else)..occasionally
-Sulbutiamine (240mg, taken occasionally)

***Herbal/Extracts***
-Cermeonial Matcha (about 2 gram---1-2x per day)
-Cannabis(ingested thru the day, sometimes eaten usually smoked)....cpnsidering THCA and CBD additions.
-Long Vida (optimized curcumin 200m---2x per day, can cross blood/brain barrier)
-Curcumin 95%(500mg per day)
-Bosmed 500(boswelia standardized @ >70% boswellic acids with >10%AKBA and <5% beta-boswellic acids---once per day)
-AC-11 (patented cats claw extract 350mg 1x per day with food)
-Marshmallow Root 1:1 extract (600-650mg taken with slippery elm)
-Slippery Elm (350mg onceor 2x per day before bed or 2hrs before/after other sups)
-DGL Licorice Root (290mg 1x per day)
-Fenugreek 50% saponins (250mg 1x per day)
-Aged Garlic Extract (400mg + 50mg enzyme stack---one taken 2-3x per day)
-Ashwagandha KSM-66 and Shoden (300mg/120mg alternated as desired, once per day)
-Rhodiola (250mg 1x per day occasionally)
-Bacognize Bacopa Monnieri (260mg 1x per day)
-Monolaurin (90% @ 1200mg 2x per day with food)
-Sesame Extract Powder (70% Sesamins @ 200mg 1x per day)
-Bilberry extract (25% anthocyanins @ 120mg 2x per day)

***Flavonoid/Terpene***
-Rephyll (6% Beta Caryophyllene---500mg once per day)
-Quercetin (250mg once per day)
-Hesperidin (500mg once per day)
-Sabroxy (standardized oroxylin A >10%---100mg once per day)

***Fungi***
-Chaga (1:1 extract powder 500mg, alternated weekly with 4:1 tincture)
-Lions Mane 8:1 extract (500mg once per day)
-Black Hoof 1:1 extract (500mg once per day)

***Aminos etc***
-Nalt (400mg, taken occasionaly in morning empty stomach)
-Alcar (600 mg, once per day)
-R-ALA-cyclodextrin (500mg once per day)
-Agmatine sulfate (500mg, taken occasionally)
-N-acetyl-D-glucosamine (600mg 2x per day)
-L Glutamine (700mg 2x per day)
-Taurine (700mg, taken occasionally)
-Phenylalanine (400mg, taken occasionally)
-NAC (600mg rarely)

***Pre, Pro, Post, and Paraprobiotics***
-Source Naturals Enzyme complex (500mg about 2x per day, before larger meals)
-Epicor (pre and postbiotic 500mg, once per day)
-Immuse (paraprobiotic 1x per day 50billion lactococcus lactis plasma or LC-Plasma)
-Larch Arabinogalactan (prebiotic working out dosing now)------discontinued

-Tributyrin (postbiotic 550mg delayed release softgel 1x per day with food)
-Saccharomyces Boulardii (probiotic 500mg halved as 2x per day before eating, antibiotic resistant)
-Bifidobacterium longum (probiotic 4mg 1-2x per day before larger meals)
-Benefiber (prebiotic 1 tsp 1-2x per day)
-soil and lacto cultures by product "advanced probiotic" by inner health. (1x per day)

**--Choline/Acetylcholine related--**
-Smart PS (Phosphatidylserine,100mg per day)
-DMAE(200mg per day, rarely)
-Alpha GPC (360mg rarely)
-CPD choline (250mg per day occasionally)
-Bacopa(listed above)
-ALCAR(listed above)

***OTC***
-simethicone
-calcium carbonate
-benefiber

pretty much my doctors wont even glance at this list......wondering things....lol....

I can't comment on most of these, but the list is simply too long. I don't think it's healthy to have large numbers of supplements even if each individually seems ok. I can tell you that s. Boulardii seemed to worsen Crohn's symptoms for my son.

i have streamlined this down a fair ammt since i started.......some of those werent for everyday, or specifically for chrons....

some i am still confused of tho, like the s. Boulardii....which is a bit different of a probiotic, but i thought may be one of the most helpful, as it is said to sort of "flush out" bad bacterias and survive things like antibiotics, but perhaps that is part of the problem?...i have also seen the levels tested in ibd trials so idk what that means....i dont tend to take probiotics daily anyway....when i was coming out of surgery i sort of did a few but it seems best in spurts with diff strains or idk....rarely take any of those now, but i would reach for s. Boulardii first i think so im interested to hear that comment....

how ive cut things back its a little more priority focus and looks something like:

***Vitamins/Minerals***
-irwin living green liquid gel multi (12 spectrum multi including omegas---1 per day of 3 recommended)
-Vitamin D3(125 microgram) + K2(100microgram) With Vitamin C(225mg) Tablets | Cholecalciferol + Menaquinone-7 (MK-7) (1 per day with food)
-MethlyFolate (quatrefolic,400mcg---1 per day)
-Methlycobalamin sublingual (couple drops only vs 80k% rda label rec)
-Fulvic minerals (drops in water once per day, occasionally)
-Benfotiamine (150mg, occasionally)
-Bcomplex i make at approx 300-400% rda(Thiamine HCL, Riboflavin 5 Phosphate, Inositol Hexanicotinate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate, Biotin, and a pinch of benfotiamine) ...occasionally.
-Choline (alpha GPC, CPD choline, or bitartrate if i have nothing else)..occasionally
-Sulbutiamine (240mg, taken occasionally)

***SUPERFOODS/DIETARY***
Baobab 2 tbsp per day
Maqui 2tsp per day
Maca Gelatinaized 1 tsp per day
Heavy metal free chocolate 2-4 tsp per day
Amla/Camu Camu-- low dose in roatation for vit c
Moringa 1 serving per day
Bone broth daily
Coconut MCT oil
MILLETS!

***Herbal/Extracts***
-Cermeonial Matcha (about 2 gram---1-2x per day)
-Long Vida (optimized curcumin 200m---2x per day, can cross blood/brain barrier)
-Curcumin 95%(500mg per day)
-Bosmed 500(boswelia standardized @ >70% boswellic acids with >10%AKBA and <5% beta-boswellic acids---once per day)
-AC-11 (patented cats claw extract 350mg 1x per day with food)
-Marshmallow Root 1:1 extract (600-650mg taken with slippery elm)
-Slippery Elm (350mg onceor 2x per day before bed or 2hrs before/after other sups)
-DGL Licorice Root (290mg 1x per day)
-Fenugreek 50% saponins (250mg 1x per day)
-Aged Garlic Extract (400mg + 50mg enzyme stack---taken occasionally thinking bacteria balance etc)
-Ashwagandha KSM-66 and Shoden (300mg/120mg alternated as desired, once per day)
-Rhodiola (250mg 1x per day occasionally)
-Bacognize Bacopa Monnieri (260mg 1x per day)

-Monolaurin (90% @ 1200mg 2x per day with food)
-Sesame Extract Powder (70% Sesamins @ 200mg 1x per day)
-Bilberry extract (25% anthocyanins @ 120mg 2x per day) switched to maqui in my millet porridge

***Flavonoid/Terpene***
-Rephyll (6% Beta Caryophyllene---500mg once per day)
-Quercetin (250mg once per day)
-Hesperidin (500mg once per day)
-Sabroxy (standardized oroxylin A >10%---100mg once per day)

***Fungi***
-Chaga (1:1 extract powder 500mg, alternated weekly with 4:1 tincture)
-Lions Mane 8:1 extract (500mg once per day)
-Black Hoof 1:1 extract (500mg once per day)

***Aminos etc***
-Nalt (400mg, taken occasionaly in morning empty stomach)
-Alcar (600 mg, once per day)

-R-ALA-cyclodextrin (500mg once per day)
-Agmatine sulfate (500mg, taken occasionally)
-N-acetyl-D-glucosamine (600mg 2x per day)
-L Glutamine (700mg 2x per day)
-Taurine (700mg, taken occasionally)
-Phenylalanine (400mg, taken occasionally)
-NAC (600mg rarely)

***Pre, Pro, Post, and Paraprobiotics***
-Source Naturals Enzyme complex (500mg about 2x per day, before larger meals)
-Epicor (pre and postbiotic 500mg, once per day)
-Immuse (paraprobiotic 1x per day 50billion lactococcus lactis plasma or LC-Plasma)
-Larch Arabinogalactan (prebiotic working out dosing now)------discontinued

-Tributyrin (postbiotic 550mg delayed release softgel 1x per day with food)
-Saccharomyces Boulardii (probiotic 500mg taken rarely)
-Bifidobacterium longum (probiotic taken rarely)
-Benefiber (prebiotic 1-2 tsp 1-2x per day)
-soil and lacto cultures by product "advanced probiotic" by inner health. (1x per day)

**--Choline/Acetylcholine related--**
-Smart PS (Phosphatidylserine,100mg per day)

***PEPTIDES***
BPC-157(500mcg daily)

***OTC***
-simethicone(rarely)
-calcium carbonate(rarely)
-benefiber

Last edited:
I've heard from a few credible sources that daily vitamin D is beneficial so I give that to my son every other day. I also give him the l-glutamine powder every other day. Can't tell you if they, in combo, helped his remission but I don't want to rock the boat at the moment.

@Ignotius I don't know how you would know if something is giving you problems unless you introduce one supplement at a time. Also, supplements are not regulated and I do believe most of the supplements we have in the US are either sourced elsewhere or manufactured entirely in a foreign land. I don't need to remind you how sus things get elsewhere and if quality/safety is even a thing in other places -> main reason I would go easy on the supplements. I just don't trust long term use. Oh, one other thing... most supplements are processed by the liver and/or kidneys, so I think while you are trying to save your GI, probably need to preserve other organs too.

In conclusion, the list is too long. :)

you think it still is? i am not sure exactly what i would cut out of the current list tbh.....or why....

i do feel i was able to kind of eliminate a few that were doing more harm than good.....by tracing some obvious logics....like some "immunity boosters" or even certain antioxidants that just push the immune system by bad methods for chrons ppl....once i cut something out, i could sort of tell a difference, esp if it was a problem thing, like the immuse duh, idk what i was thinking....when i started tho, i was so messed up it was just easier to work it backwards...could hardly even tell what was going on with me anyway as things were certainly not any type of "normal"...

in general tho, the condition of the supplement market is pretty well known and many companies offer assurances i came to rely on....like third party testing of each batch code........or how many of these are standardized/patented versions, like the boswelia or ac-11, which have had toxic elements reduced to the lowest possible levels.....or plainly simple type of compounds, like naturally extracted flavones like the hesperidin...which is kind of basically food based, but not something, like i am going to sit around eating orange peels or something right...

this whole thing is also meant sort of temporary, until i can get some more direct advice, which, probably should have happened already but i didnt find the way so still working on that....i still plan to take some certain things, like the leaky gut type stuff and most of it really.....

i can tell a big difference finally from my last surgery, which will be a year ago end of this month....but i know its better to not push things when you cant go backwards so trying to do all i can is alot of the idea.......i found 2 ND's that specialize with chrons/IBD, so hoping to get more/better info from them, as well as a more forward thinking GI team......hopefully soon....

idk....it did take me a grip of research to get this far, but i still wonder like some things might be better to add or swap out or idk....

its kind of categories tho you know.....the leaky gut stuff, anti-inflammatories, bacteria regulation etc....makes sense to me idk..

Scipio

Doctors have the term "polypharmacy" for a condition where the patient is being given multiple drugs at the same time - usually too many. It is often taken as a sign of poor or out of control medical care. There is no firm universal definition of how many drugs it takes to constitute polypharmacy but it is usually in the range of 5 to 10. In your cut-down list I count 48.

if i want to consider everything i put in my mouth as a "drug", then it will be more than 48......i didnt even mention things like ginger extract....
so, it comes back a little like......do i want to be more afraid of natural compounds/medicines and basic foods/spices? or chrons.....i sort of DO consider everything i put in my mouth as medicine, but not as DRUGS exactly....

if you look up about interactions etc.....the comparison does not hold as most of these things have none....specific considerations on the other hand, could actually be helpful....i.e. after taking the boswelia for a few months give it a rest for a couple weeks etc....sort of more what i am interested in......like actual detriments because i am not operating from fear here....

regards

Scipio

.....do i want to be more afraid of natural compounds/medicines and basic foods/spices? or chrons.....i sort of DO consider everything i put in my mouth as medicine, but not as DRUGS exactly....
There is nothing about being a "natural compound" that ensures a substance will be safe and effective, or even just safe. In fact sometimes the opposite is true. Some of the most toxic substances in the world are perfectly natural compounds found in certain plants.

And distinguishing "drugs" from "medications" is a distinction without a difference - based more on semantics than on medical science.

Bufford

I had to back off of ginger when it was suspected for my heart trouble, dizziness and bleeding. I had similar issues with turmeric, and now use it sparingly. Some of these natural supplements are quite powerful. Its a good idea to speak to the doctor before taking supplements.

i know i have been told.....humira and macdonalds for the win......thats 2 things....simple right....what could go wrong?

of course everything can have some risk, there is no escaping that for us....and of course being natural does not mean without toxicity or side effects.....but we can also swing pretty far the other direction and fear every food and medicine, when there are many VERY good ones....

at the least i have sourced the LEAST toxic versions and 3rd party verified tests for non patented items.......which is mainly the boswelia and the cats claw i even wonder about...

honestly to me, taking 1-5 supplements seems like a serious health risk for my situation......like trying to cure cancer with vit C tablets or something....my situation is odd and hopefully temporary, but in the interest of hopefully not making things worse, i will continue to treat this as categories in a whole.

hoping to get to some doctors this month but its complicated.