• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is this a possible flare?

Hi everyone,

Well I'm not sure if I do have CD as I have been diagnosed with "most likely" CD. Currently untreated.

Since Saturday I have had painful sore joints (knees, hips) so much that I can't walk up the stairs without difficulty. This is not something I normally have.

Since Monday I have been going to bathroom 4 to 8 times a day - not watery but loose. This, again, is abnormal for me.

I am really fatigued. I have nausea and I don't want to eat as everything makes my tummy rumble something fierce.

I called my GI on Monday but he is on holidays. So I got my family doc to order bloodwork - CRP, ESR, CBC. She also ordered RA, ANA, and urine sample.

So do you think this could be a "flare"?

Hi Denise:

It sure sounds like you've got all the elements of a flare. I'm glad that you're getting all the bloodwork done...the CRP and ESR results will give you an idea whether you have inflammation, and your other blood results will help figure out whether there's an infection present, and if you have anemia. Do you know if your doc is checking your B12 levels...the fatigue could be related to so many things: anemia, infection, Crohn's flare, low B12, etc.

Blood results don't take long to come in; I would follow up with your doctor in the next couple of days.

I hope you get some news soon!

Kismet

Thanks Kismet. No she didn't check B12 levels and I always seem to forgot to ask about that one. *sigh*

I am planning to call either today or tomorrow.

Thanks for responding.

So called my doc and all the bloodwork was normal. How can that be?? My joints are killing me, can't eat, and going to bathroom like 8 times a day. Plus have lost 5 lbs since Sunday. I don't understand. I am frustrated. You would think the inflammatory markers would be up at least. I know they don't go up in everyone, so maybe I'm one of those??

I once had a flare and my bloods were normal. It sounds like a flare, but If I was you, I'd go to your hospital and get it sorted, x

Have you eaten anything questionable over the past few days? I have confused a flare up with some iffy chicken casserole once (Thanks FATHER!)

The fact your bloods came back fine seem weird, as it does sound like a flare up as Kismet says. Better keep a close on eye on it!

No, nothing questionable. I have some tea - then sharp pain and then to the bathroom. If I eat solid food (like rice or something I have made at home) then about one hour later or so I get sharp pain around my bellybutton.

I've read that CRP isn't always elevated in a CD flare. Something like 5% don't.

Thanks Sarahjh and AdamJC for your input. I will keep an eye on it and defintely will be calling my GI when he gets back from holidays (esp if things don't settle)

That's kind of how I was the day after I was discharged. Eating food itself was okay but around 45 mins later the abdo pain would kick in.

Over the next few days this eased off and the pain is now 'gurgling' and mild discomfort. Mine was due to a stricture. Dont want to cause concern but once again, I hope this can help you some how! :)

suschex

Suzanne
So called my doc and all the bloodwork was normal. How can that be?? My joints are killing me, can't eat, and going to bathroom like 8 times a day. Plus have lost 5 lbs since Sunday. I don't understand. I am frustrated. You would think the inflammatory markers would be up at least. I know they don't go up in everyone, so maybe I'm one of those??
My bloodwork has never shown anything at all. The only way to track/manage my CD is with a nice old colonoscopy...not fun but better than not knowing! Have you had a colonoscopy? Don't give up, trust what your body is telling you and be your best advocate until you find a doctor that will work with you until it is sorted out!!!

Good luck
Suzanne

My bloodwork has never shown anything at all. The only way to track/manage my CD is with a nice old colonoscopy...not fun but better than not knowing! Have you had a colonoscopy? Don't give up, trust what your body is telling you and be your best advocate until you find a doctor that will work with you until it is sorted out!!!

Good luck
Suzanne
Suzanne,

Yes I have had a colonscopy. It showed inflammation in my terminal ileum. Bx was done and found a granuloma which can indicate CD. I guess all my other tests have been okay so he is hesitant to actually dx me. Thank you for the advice and I am trying to be very proactive and I am thinking about getting a 2nd opinion. I see my family doc in Dec and will ask her what I should do then. It's my GI that is being hesitant diagnosing me.

Thanks for letting me know that you have had normal bloodwork. I feel like crap right now and was like What!! normal?? *sigh* :frown: I know it can't be IBS as I have lost 25 lbs since May/June.

Adam - I had a small bowel follow through last week and won't be able to see him until he gets back from holidays. I talked to the girls at the desk and they said that there was some areas that moved too fast and some too slow and then they didn't read anymore because "too much medical jargon." Haha that's what they said. I would hope they would tell me if there was narrowing but they didn't say anything.

Yes, I've found blood tests to not always be very reliable. My bloodwork came back and shows my CRP rate at 470 yet I've never felt better. Other times, I've felt completely wiped out with all sorts of fistulas, yet my white and red blood counts are relatively normal.

I hope your GIs vacation ends soon and you get some answers soon. Your weight loss must be quite worrying.

Kismet