• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is this how Crohn's starts?

Hi Everyone,
I'm 31 years old male, and I'm dealing with some "stomach issues" since November 2013. It started with gas, cramping and increased frequency of bathroom trips (3-4/day). At the beginning I thought I got IBS, due to stressful situation at work. But stress passed, and issues persisted. Actually I can't see any connection between symptoms intensity and my emotional state.
In 2014 I've had many tests to check what is wrong with my gut.
Some of them are:
- colonoscopy (from march '14) colon and terminal ileum looked normal. biopsy fragments were taken from rectum, ascending colon and ileum. In ascending colon samples there was inflammatory "pattern consistent with lymphocitic colitis" everything else was labeled "normal".
- MRI small bowel scan (august) - no changes detected in bowel, but there were some slightly enlarged (up to 7mm) lymph nodes in ileo-cecal region.
- from 23andme results: ATG16L1 mutation
- USG - normal
- ASCA - double positve.
- calprotectin - had it tested few times, highest level was 48. last two results were 38 and 21.
- blood tests - everything in normal range
- CRP, ESR - teseted few times, each time both markers were way below upper limit. (CRP ~0.005)
- parasites and bacteria - not detected
- coeliac markers - negative
I've tried few drugs but nothing seems to work really well: mesalazine (asamax), entocort, duspatalin LDN, VSL3, Mutaflor.
Ironically most effective drug was antidepressant - Amitryptyline, which relieved cramps and slowed down the gut.
I've tried SCD diet, by give up after month, without any improvement.
My current symptoms are cramps all over the colon (mostly in the RLQ) and weird gurgling sounds and pulsating sensations. I'm passing 1/2 stools daily so technically this is not diarrhea but they are not very formed. Sorry for being graphic here, but I must mention that occasionally I had some mild bleeding and fissure like pain - this happened when I was constipated.
I went to 3 gastroenterologists and they all told me that this is not Crohn's. Current diagnosis is Microscopic Colitis. But what bothers me is that nothing seems to really help me, and I have some symptoms daily, since it started.
This slowly drives my nuts.
Do you think this might be Crohn's? Should I consider taking immunosupresion at this moment?