• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is this my second flare or IBS as the Doctor suspects?

Hi All,

Totally new to this forum and generally new to Crohns/IBD. Was diagnosed late last year after a Colonoscopy. Straight after the test I was put on a 2 months course of prednisolone from 40mg down to 5mg then I had a week gap felt much much better - no symptoms. I then started a course of Mesalazine, I'm pretty sure this is similar to Asacol. 1 week, again feeling good. Then randomly last week I began to feel some cramping (low abdomen), and then diarrhea. No Blood/Mucus. Then the cramping became really really sore, you know the pain. Toilet stops approx 4-5 times max so nothing drastic. Went to see doctor he took blood test and low inflammation results so he think it could be my bowels getting used to being off the prednisolone, or could be a bit of IBS. It feels very similar though to how I felt before the Colonoscopy and Im not sure what to do. Ive upped the dose of mesalazine so Im now on 2400mg.

Anybody experienced something similar about 2 weeks after pred? :shifty-t:

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Just to confirm did you start the Mesalazine after you had finished the Pred? Even whilst low the fact your bloods do show there is inflammation going on does indicate perhaps the Mesalazine may not have fully kicked in yet. I would keep an eye on things and if you do not feel any improvement on the increased dose then go back to your doc about this. It may be that you need to go back on the Pred a while whilst it has a bit more time to work or that it isn't the right med for your tum. Out of interest have any dietary changes been mentioned to you or have you already noticed any problem foods that aggrivate the tum?

AB
xx

Welcome to the forums.

I agree with Angrybird. It could be dietary changes, or you might need to build up more Mesalazine. Sometimes, though, you can become "steroid-dependent" but it doesn't sound like that, as often for me, I start getting worse as I taper, not once I'm off.

I hope you can find the answer soon.

Hi and thank you both for your replies :)

I finished the Pred, had a week with no meds and then started mesalazine. After 8 days on mesalazine the cramps started.

I have made dietary changes I'm hugely interested in nutrition and would love to think I could help manage my crohns with diet. I must admit however the pains began after having quite a spicy/tomato based vegetarian chili (obviously not the best meal to eat with crohns.) I've basically gone quite low Carb and introduced omega 3 fish oils into my diet as I wasn't really balancing my fats and eating for too much Omega 6. I tend to eat a very healthy diet with low refined carbs if any and little sugar, even fruit I rarely eat. Lots of veg, Brown Basmati Rice, White Meats, Fish, Eggs, Pesto, try to avoid raw salad as know that can aggravate. I eat loads of hommous, Cheese, Kidney beans. Its hard to scope what I eat as it is quite varied. Just generally low carb high protein and lots of veg. I workout so rely on the calories which I do slightly struggle to maintain with low carb. I hear many stories of people who have really helped themselves with diet alterations and some that believe changing their diet didn't do anything. I don't know whether either of yourselves are on specific diets?

In terms of the inflammation it got worse last 2 days and I did start passing blood in stools with lots of pain. I took further blood tests and it seems that the results did show an increase in inflammation so my doctor is under the impression it is a flare. He has put me back on pred (only been off it 3 weeks) for another 8 week course which deep down im not happy about but I figure at this stage I have no choice. He's then on about introducing a slightly stronger drug beginning with 'a' into the pred course so that when I come off the pred it will be in my system and should help keep things at bay. I'm really hoping this is my last course or pred for a while because although I didn't get too many physical side effects it did mentally affect me. Made me go a bit weird...

Thanks again for your replies, nice to know I can share these things with experienced people.

Angrybird

It sounds like you may be being started on Azathioprine? I have been on this previously and it did a great job with the tum. Diet wise I don't follow anything specific as I even flare when on the liquid shakes. I do still avoid high fat/high fibre foods and anything with skins, pips and seeds, orange juice is also a big no no for me. If you would like more info in this area then do check out our diet and sups forum: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17.