• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is this pain hunger, crohns, gurggles, gas, warnings?

I'm getting confused on if I'm really hungry and noticed some other posts amongst other questions relaying the same feelings. You have what may be hunger pains but are afraid to eat but if you eat it might get better but you've found only a 50/50 chance of that happening. So you eat and the pain gets worse or the gurgling gas intensifies and then you realize those must have been warning pains.

Is there a "tell" as to eat or not eat? I hope my question isn't too confusing. I'm not saying eating a lot, or harmful foods but what is generally safe for me (right now nothing is safe it seems though). Do I drink 10-12 ounces of water first if I can handle it and then see? Does anyone have any tricks for this.

I usually drink water and have some crackers when I am not sure what to do. Everyone is different, maybe you can find a safe food to test yourself with. Good luck.

I do the same thing, I drink water, the induced peristaltic movement of the intestines will in my case either cause the pain or not.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
It would be lovely if there were something as simple as a "tell" to figure it out.

Unfortunately, as we all know, everyone experiences symptoms differently. So you need to figure out what your tell is. When you get those discomforts, try eating a tiny portion first and very slowly instead of a regular sized portion. Wait a little bit and see how it makes you feel. Maybe even choose safer, softer, blander foods if you can in those moments. You could also start journaling what you eat and how you feel after each meal or even right before you eat and see if you can pinpoint a "tell" that way?

To show how different it is, water doesn't make me feel any better. it will sometimes exaggerate the pain. If I am hungry, it feels like crohn's pains and I am afraid to eat. But once I finally do get something in my system I usually start to feel a little bit better.

I've never quite been able to figure out which is causing the pain... my guess is it's often a combination! But I have found that drinking something hot helps a lot... herbal tea is my "go-to." There are a number of herbs that are good for stomach pain -- peppermint, licorice, sassafras, ginger... I happen to love licorice tea -- but I know that many people can't stand the flavor of licorice. :)

remove lactose and sucrose, this is similar to the specific carbohydrate diet. it will reduce pain and diarhea in addition to your drugs. you will find your diarhea will lessen. i go 1x a day from following this diet, and rarely do i have any mucus. never had any complications either for 4 years since being diagnosed/ on this diet plan. i started this plan like 3 weeks after being diagnosed and 6 weeks from noticable symptom onset. i have onlyused some lialda to treat also, and my disease is very severe.