• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is this supposed to happen?

So I started taking LDN on march 25 and my symptoms started to subside a little, and then yesterday out of no where my symptoms get worse. I was wondering if this happened to you while on LDN because I am a bit worried. They might of also gotten worse because I am tapering myself of Prednisone, but I am not sure. Any information that might put my mind at ease would be appreciated, thank you.

Eric

I haven't taken LDN yet. But i've taken Pred, and when I would taper off Pred, symptoms would always come back. There was definitely a fine point where (for example) 5 mg less of pred would bring back Crohns as i was tapering.

I have not had any recurrence due to taken LDN, I have definitely had recurrences of symptoms when tapering especially 5 mg or less. It took me several years (before LDN) to be able to taper from 10mg to 5mg. I am still on 5mg prednisolone, even though I am in remission. I want to feel good for at least a year before I starting the tapering off from 5mg.
Lea

I was prednisone dependent for a long time. Alwaysgetting bad symptoms when getting to about 15mg and i would have to boost up to a higher dose again. My bones have been effected by prednisone and it's just a drug you DO NOT want to stay on for long-term treatment.

For people taking LDN, does naltrexone come in 1mg or low dose tablets? Do you have to use a compounding pharmacy?

I was/am prednisolone dependent too, everytime I tried to go under 10mg, symptoms returned. I managed to get down to 5mg using the 1mg tablets, I have been on 5mg for a long time now. However I am giving myself 1 year of feeling good, which is about November 2011 and will start to reduce from 5mg very slowly.

I get the 50mg Naltrexone tablets and dissolve in 50ml of water.

Aussie Lea.. you sound too much like me :)

I have been on 5mg forever too. Just because it's not a harmful dose and my disease is so unpredictable and I DO NOT want another flare.
I also have 50mg tablets. You dissolve the 50mg tab in 50ml of distilled water ? Let me ask you, what do you store the liquid in so that it stays fresh and doesn't lose it's potency? I just want to do it correctly...

My goodness i'm letting the clueless and knowledgeable people get to me (the family). I know they dont know anything like what I do so I need to not stress. I'm better off not mentioning anything to them because they just add stress & fear to my mind. They need to just disappear and spare the ignorant suggestions! Sorry I just vented on you... SORRY.

I am on 5mg for exactly the same reason, plus my personal life has had some tough times (family - not me) over the last couple of years, there has not been a "good" time either.

I bought a "baby feeding bottle" from the pharmacy, sterilized with boiling hot water and use this to store the 50ml in the fridge. I am pretty sure you can get 1mg compounded tablets. I will find a link for a compounding pharmacist in the US. I can't go to a compounding pharmacist, as I buy my online.

My experience with family is that are just a bit too concerned, just remind yourself, if you take that low dose with or with out crohns it will not hurt you. I believe taking panadol or aspirin daily is much worse. :)

take care and best of health