• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is very large abdominal swelling a side effect of Humira?

I am a 54-year-old female. I was diagnosed with severe ulcerative colitis when I was 22 years old. I was treated and never had another issue. At age 38 I was diagnosed with breast cancer and had a mastectomy and reconstruction. The reconstruction resulted in a muscle being removed from my abdomen to build a new breast. I ended up with a surgical hernia in that area of my lower abdomen and had to have a mesh screen surgically put in to correct that bulging.

In my early 40s I started to have very severe pain in my right arm. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease and told it was referred pain. (I call it cromes disease because I don't like the name Crohn's.) I was also told I was misdiagnosed in my 20s and that I most likely had cromes disease then and not colitis. I did not like my GI at that time and I did not believe him. I had no issues other than the pain in my arm. He gave me Pentasa, 16 pills a day and I took them for a while and then my arm stopped hurting and I just went on with my life.

When I was 47 years old the hernia repair gave way and I had to have another screen put in. A few weeks after the surgery, I had my first intestinal blockage. I was in the hospital for five days with an NG tube and a surgeon anxious to do exploratory surgery on my intestines. I was told I had adhesions. These doctors all knew my prior history. I had blockage after blockage and many hospitalizations, always told it was adhesions or the screen they had put in for the hernia was caught up in my intestines.

I finally went to a different surgeon to have the adhesions operated on. My life had become unmanageable. He took one look at my CT scans from more than one hospital and told me I had Crohn's disease. It was awkward to tell him, oh, yeah, I was diagnosed with that a few years ago.

I got back on Pentasa, changed my diet and starting in 2009, I had four good years. Then I had another blockage. This was the worst ever. I didn't think I would survive. I now refuse the NG tube. I don't believe it makes any difference at all. And it got where they couldn't even put it in. I think scar tissue developed or something. The last person who tried, I just had blood running down my face as he kept cramming that tube into my sinuses.

I had a colonoscopy done a few months ago and it could not be completed because of a strictured area. It's a terminal illium stricture, I think. I don't get much info from my GI. He rushes me out the door and has a very heavy accent. He did tell me that in 10 years the strictured area, without treatment, will be completely blocked and I will have blockage after blockage and surgery after surgery.

He put my on Humira and I had such high hopes. It's been six weeks, and pretty much from the very beginning, my lower abdomen became distended. I also had increased cromes issues, mostly constipation. (I'm sorry this is so long.)

I finally got to see my GI yesterday and he immediately told me that I have a hernia. The thing is that the swelling is right where the mesh screens are, but the swelling is on both sides. It's just somewhat worse on the hernia side because that area isn't quite as strong as the good side.

I find it hard to believe that six weeks ago my abdomen was flat and now it protrudes like a pot belly and it's just a coincidence that the hernia gave way as soon as I injected that drug around my belly button. He said Humira would NEVER cause what I now have.

He told me to stop the Humira since it's not helping, go see my surgeon who did the hernia repair -- the same doctor who let me be hospitalized five times in two years because he couldn't see I had Crohn's disease -- and he ordered the camera pill test, which he told me a few weeks ago he wouldn't order for me because he was afraid it wouldn't make it through my body and would cause blockage.

I don't know if my hernia is back. I don't know if Humira caused the swelling.
I do know that when I have had blockage and after I would get home from the hospital, my gut would be distended the way it is now. No pressure or pain, just, I think, the intestines got so swollen that it would take a week or more for everything to flatten out again.

I am at a total loss. My Humira nurse says that after six weeks I should notice some improvement. Even if the swelling isn't from the Humira, my cromes issues are worse than before.

Again, forgive the length of this, anyone who is still reading it. My story is just complicated because the hernia repair is in the same place as the blockages and the damaged intestines.
At least I think so. The same area is where I get swollen when I've had blockage.

I guess my question is: Has anyone had this kind of major lower abdomen swelling and/or distension that was caused by Humira?

Thank you.

Last edited:

nogutsnoglory

I agree that it must be checked out. Very large swelling could be a sign of obstruction or it could be a reaction to humira but it should be seen.

Also, in light of your stricture I agree with axel on going to ER.

afidz

Super Moderator
It could be a combination of another hernia and complications of Crohn's. When was the last sugery? Do you know what kind of mesh they used? I have a very severe hernia, I look 13 months pregnant with twins, my entire abdomen is distended plus some. Unfortunately, having Crohn's, you are always going to be susceptible to hernias, especially since you have had multiple surgeries. If you are overweight or recently gained weight, that is a big contributing factor, as well as active disease and inflammation pushing on the incision. At this point, if it is another hernia, you need to seek out a highly trained surgeon that is trained on how to fix complicated hernias. I don't know about in Houston, but if you want the number of the surgeon I am seeing in Dallas, I will be happy to give it to you. Whoever you choose, just make sure that its not an area hospital, they aren't skilled enough to help. Google "hernia clinic in Houston". I would also see if you can have a ct done, CT's can usually point out if its a hernia or your intestines. Hope this helps

The last hernia surgery was May of 2007. I don't know what kind of mesh they used but I do know it's not the one that was recalled or that people have lawsuits about. You are right that it could be a combination of hernia and Crohn's! Yikes! And I would love to have a CT scan. I think that would really help to figure out what's going on. My problem is my insurance. I'm seeing my PCP tomorrow. She has to refer me for anything and everything. I am thinking that if she refers me to a good surgeon -- I have a list from Humana of doctors I am able to use and it's not a long list (thank you for the offer of your doctor's info!) -- but if she does give me the referral, I will try my best to weed through the names and find the best one I can. I've read online that the hernia repairs get very tricky after a while. The last one I had was a very difficult recovery and the surgeon said he didn't think it could be repaired again.
No, I'm not overweight but I have gained five pounds in five weeks on the Humira and I don't think it's healthy weight. I think it's this big stomach!
Thank you for your help! How sweet to have twins. : ) It must take so much of your energy, especially with the Crohn's. Godspeed!

I agree that it must be checked out. Very large swelling could be a sign of obstruction or it could be a reaction to humira but it should be seen.

Also, in light of your stricture I agree with axel on going to ER.

I guess the ER is practically my only option for getting it checked out since my GI just wanted to shove me out the door! I was hoping to get some answers from him. Thank you!!!

afidz

Super Moderator
to clarify...I don't have twins, I look prego with twins.
I was asking about the mesh because sometimes the mesh itself is what causes problems (that attributed to at least 4 of my surgeries)
Yes, the more surgeries you have, the more complicated the hernia surgery is. That is why I suggested a big city hospital, they are generally more experienced. There isn't a single area surgeon that would touch me with a ten foot poll-they know they don't have the knowledge or experience to fix what I have going on (15 surgeries, waiting on the 16th. Also, if it is a hernia, at this point, it would probably require at least 2 surgeons. if it is another hernia that is giving you trouble, let me know and I can try to give you more advice

Oh, I see I did misunderstand. I'm sorry to hear that your hernia is that big. You have been through a lot with all those surgeries. Goodness. Thank you for taking time to help me when you have so much going on yourself.

I will let you know when I find out if it's a hernia or not or what it is!
Thank you!
xoxoxoxox

Thank you! The PCP says it's a hernia and is referring me to a surgeon. Meanwhile, I didn't take the Humira shot today. It's so disappointing but maybe it will work for me later. I hope so!
Thanks again!

No. I am researching now which surgeons are on my list and how qualified they are. She said she would help me with that and I gave her a list of ten names today. They are all out of the Memorial Hermann Hospital System. I wish my insurance gave me more freedom to pick my own doctor, but it doesn't.

Heya, my name is Brittany and i was diagnosed with Crohn's when i was 14. I was recently given weekly injections of humira and although I didn't suffer abdominal swelling I did contract Lupus as a side effect and lost my hair. Definitely not happy with this biologic.

Oh, wow. That's terrible. I'm so sorry to hear that. Almost everything I read about Humira is good. I pray that you will be able to get back to where you were before. Is the Lupus permanent?

I'm just wondering why your doc would take you off of Humira so soon. I hear it could take up to 4 mos. to start seeing results.

I agree. I didn't want to stop taking it this soon. I only stopped because of the need to repair the hernia. Even though he told me to stop -- after barely listening to me -- I wasn't going to. I was going to keep filling the prescriptions and give it time to work. He wouldn't even know. He's not paying any attention to my healthcare.

Hopefully I can get the surgery done -- I have a third opinion on Tuesday with a GOOD doctor -- and get back on the Humira.

Thank you!

I also got the name of a highly recommended GI who I believe is in my network. I'm going to try to find a doctor who will work to help me get better.