• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is your Crohn's usually worse in the morning?

Since being diagnosed 3 years ago, I have noticed a pattern in which sometimes I will be woken by mild-medium Crohn's stomach cramps in the morning, for a few days or a week, usually when I am not managing my stress correctly.

Thought I would ask other Crohnies and UCers, are your symptoms worse in the morning, and why do you think this is?

Lady Organic

Staff member
I have always had a tendency for more bowel movements in the morning. I believe, as I wake up, my stress level increases (ex: alarm clock, thought of life stressors, etc.) and body movements increase which all stimulate my bowel movements. Whether I am healthy in remission, mildly sick or very sick, the tendency always remain. When i am very sick, I can get numerous repetitive (6-7) BM within an hour or so when I wake up and these will ease during the day, but will still continue.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
My work schedule has been all over the place the last few weeks, so my bowel movements have too. Normally for some reason though I can't finish my breakfast without having to make a run. When I do day shift at work, I can't finish my lunch either without a run.