• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

It could be worse...much worse

Hi everyone. I'm writing this from the safety and comfort of my toilet, and everyone here can appreciate the humor in that.

I ave Crohns and ulcerative colitis, which is IBD but those initials often are confused with IBS, a much milder and controllable illness. I was diagnosed only four years ago but I know I've had this since my teen years.

I won't get into all the boring stuff. I entitled this It could be much worse for a reason. Here's why.

1. Crohns has allowed me to meet lots of nice people (as I fly past them to the bathroom, then apologize for being rude upon my return).
2. I now look forward to the colonoscopies because I get a day or two of relief.
3. I work in outside sales, so at least I can say I'm "working my way in to the office" when I'm late, which is almost every day. And not get fired for it.
4. I save lots of money because I can't really go out to eat. Or go to a concert. Or an amusement park, fair, carnival...
5. My husband is an absolute saint and supports me 110%.
6. It gives me a convenient excuse not to attend something I really don't want to attend, i.e., "sorry I couldn't make your Mary Kay party, my Crohns was acting up."
7. It gives me a great excuse to spend all the money I save in necessities like new underwear, a bigger purse to hold my meds and toiletries, etc.
8. My lovely rite aid pharmacist knows me by first name.
9. I do a lot less house cleaning, and it's taught my family to do more.
10. Finally, as I said, it could be worse. It's not cancer.

Shellie

Amen that's my thought process to a tee!! There is always a silver lining to any situation your in. Crohns has brought me closer to GOD and my family the struggles I face make me appreciate each day a lil more. The apostle Paul was stricken with a thorn In his side (some kind of disease?) he asked JESUS to take it from him JESUS replied my grace is enough for you. There's a reason for everything and a listen to be learned if we just accept it and turn to GOD everything will work out in the end

David

Co-Founder
Hi Shellie and welcome to the community :) I'm glad you found your way here and hope you become a regular. I'm glad you're able to look on the positive side of things at times and find humor as well.

How are you feeling these days? What is your treatment regimen?