• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

It Seems I Have Crohn's

This is a long, unnecessarily detailed story but it's fun so I'm telling it.

Flashback to the summer, I began eating new things, those things were fruits and vegetables. My goal was to increase my the weight and the size of my body. Unfortunately it wasn't long before I was eating an apple one day, chewing, chewing, and chewing... and still chewing. I'm like "wait... I'm still chewing wat". I'm also having a slight 'off' feeling in my stomach, which was something I hadn't felt for ages. I hadn't thrown up for over 5 years at least. In fact, throwing up was a fear I hadn't had to worry about for a very long time, though suddenly as I tried to swallow all of these bits of apple skin in my mouth, it seems one tiny piece got stuck in the back of my throat, stuck in just the right spot that it set me off. I had this dreadful feeling and I recognized immediately that I may be throwing up. I was so scared. I'm terrified of puking, and so I stood over the bathroom sink, gulping for air like you're not supposed to do, my stomach as tight and hard as a rock. I remember a really sad song playing over in my mind as I tried to focus intensely on the lyrics before it suddenly came, I just threw ma cookies all over the sink. It was terrible, yet I felt amazing afterwards. And so this first time puking marked the beginning (ish) of my Crohn's. Mind you I had been having the on-off Crohn's discomfort a while before, eating a banana alongside a large mug of milk in the morning, I'd sit out on the back porch and be in pure agony, as if I had bad gas or my pants were too tight. Which was odd because I had always been very gassy, though I enjoyed the bubbling sensations that would eventually erupt in a natural fart. Odd fact: I used to wear really tight underwear in highs chool, and I would layer about 3 pairs together just for security. Suddenly that was all turned on it's head.

I had taken a few visits to the doctor's, poked by a few needles, pooped in a lil cup. Eventually they sent me to have a cat scan (those are awful, the pee came out more places than one) after having some x-rays. It all seemed to lead to the conclusion that part of my colon/ intestines was inflamed and thus, ya gorl has Crohn's. I preceded to have a colonoscopy which was so scary. I was extremely scared. Which is odd. Part of me was lying in bed the night before, telling myself "it's no big deal, things have gone up there before" but then the other part was saying "they never turned the corner"! Luckily I was asleep for the entire thing. It's odd when you experience an entire night, and morning of anxiety and fear, as if you're going to be executed the next day, yet to not remember a second of the procedure to the extent that you forget it even happened. I remember lying in the bed asking the gastrologist some questions, my final question being about the anesthesia, when suddenly the anesthesiologist popped over my shoulder, plopped the mask on me and began reassuring me what would happen and within a moment she was uttering visualizations for me latch onto. I specifically remember her mentioning a warm sun, and so I imagined the sensation of the warm sun on my body, and just as I felt it I felt the sudden cool air on my balls as my butt was revealed and BAM I was out. I woke up one second later in a haze, wondering if the procedure had even happened yet. It's funny and odd. Luckily there is nothing cancerous going on down there.

Anyways. So now that I know I have Crohn's, the attention becomes "what to eat?"

As a child, I swear, all I ate was candy. It was candy or nothing for me. I particularly remember the first time I had KFC, and it was considered a surprise that I had eaten "real" food. I was a very picky eater and remain a picky eater, obviously this doesn't bode well with Crohn's. I'm also skinny. I'm a skinny picky eater who is just so skinny. As I began stating in the opening of this story, I was in the midst of adding some nutritional items to my food vocabulary before Crohn's struck, though now most of what I usually eat has been removed from my diet. The only foods I am confident in eating now are:

- Eggs
- Lactose-free Milk (yay)
- Water

That's it.

So I guess. If you made it this far down or have skipped to hear, the main reason I'm looking up Crohn's online is to find ways to fatten myself up. I need calories and protein in foods that I can consume without feeling bad afterwards or having puke-related memories as I'm eating. ._.

Not that that needs to be answered in this thread. But Hi.

Also. K. Yes I do have something for this thread. I would split the feelings relating to Crohn's into three categories/ items:

Bowel Discomfort: So the tightness, the ... just plain weird uncomfortable feeling you get below the waistline (or elsewhere for some people).

Uneasy Stomach/ Weak: My stomach seems so much more weak now, after the first time throwing up, and 2 more times, my gag-reflex seems too awake, especially with certain foods.

Short Sharp Anal Pains: Every once and a while for me, infrequently, I get this intense, and very short, longest it lasted was about 2.5 seconds, pain in my butt, like... inside, and it's a sharp pain that makes you stand up if you're sitting. It's quite an embarrassing pain to have, it just makes you jump.

Do you guys recognize any of these? Are they all related to Crohn's?

Generally safe foods are chicken,rice,fish,potatoes,bread avoid greasy oily food(except oily fish damn good for you)veggies are fine as long as there well cooked soup is the best way for a veggie fix use stock cubes there low calorie.salad stuff generally bad,you,ll be glad that KFC twister meals seem safe.i,m a fan.smoking is a no no with crohns alcohol be cautious.i,m fine with everything except lager only problem I find is can,t walk straight afterwards can recommend glayva or glen morangie the glen of tranquility.good luck

I tried alcohol once and that is a big nono for me, and I don't smoke so this should be easily avoided. :D

Though I think I... hate vegetable soup. ._. Though maybe I can make it work. We'll see. I now have some good yogurt I can eat, which doesn't seem to be bothersome.