• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

It's been a while esophagitis and gastric issues

I was posting in the undiagnosed group's forum for a while back in 2014 when my gastro thought I might have Crohn's. I met some wonderful people experiencing unpleasant things with their health. I am grateful to all of those people who supported each other and myself while we were/are trying to figure out what's going on.

I have a complicated question but I need to fill in some blanks first. I'm notorious for long stories, sorry.

I recently got a new primary care provider (doctor or GP for non-US people). My previous one resigns from her practice in about a week. Anyhow, one of the first things he asked me was about my gastrointestinal issues and I told him I'd basically given up on exploration, as it were.

In 2014, I had both endoscopy and colonoscopy. All they found was gastritis (non h. pylori). About two months later I nearly had a stroke or heart attack (not sure which because I got medical attention as BP had sky-rocketed and that's not normal for me - that was low potassium). I then experienced total bowel obstruction, later reduced down to partial obstruction. I couldn't even pass water through my system. Before this happened, I found out I wasn't viable for the pill cam. It turns out I had an adhesion (previous cancer surgery from 2005). Now, I realize this isn't Crohn's, or probably isn't, but my visit with my new PCP was interesting. He prefaced what he had to say with "I don't like to speak ill of other doctors" - he was referring to the gastroenterologist who couldn't find anything wrong with me. But then he printed off the pathology report from 2014 and a doctor had signed off "BX all okay. Keep up fluids." Yet, further up the page the findings were esophagitis in three areas and gastritis non- h. pylori. The razor blades I started experiencing in my gut, I thought was the gastritis. Nope. My new doc says it's the esophagitis and he explained what it was and how it progresses. Further personal research indicates what Barrets esophagus is and I'm wondering if this might be tied into these weird gutsaches I now get which have the feeling of the onset of diarrhea (you know those awful cramps) and yet I don't have a result. it's like I get diarrhea like bouts that don't go anywhere for a couple of days. The other issue is a little embarrassing, but what the hey...I had a child in 2011 and began experiencing mild fecal incontinence, so every time I get the diarrhea like guts ache, I start leaking too. Not like you might think though - more a burning. So, I'm wondering with my insides just opened up on this post - no pun intended - is does anyone else have esophagitis, gastritis and problems with diarrhea-like guts ache (with wind etc) and then they can't actually do anything about it? I've looked up (google is sometimes your friend) the symptoms but as soon as I mention fecal incontinence, all the searches focus on that and that's a symptom relating from child birth, but it's more noticeable during/after the guts ache. Also, sometimes when I do evacuate, I can't fully evacuate and this has become a regular problem (again, no pun intended). I'm wary of seeing a gastro at the moment because my last one was obviously fairly useless and the ER was the place I obtained help. I'm not crippled in pain right now (been going on and off, but still waiting to get the rest out). I don't have celiac sprue and the endoscopy didn't show colitis (I have the results that show they don't). Swallowing some foods is becoming harder too. I never knew the cause of that until my new doctor told me the rest of the dx. He did mention OTCs and I mentioned I take triphala when I get the razor blades, which I haven't had those in a while. I do get chest pain but don't notice reflux and am not formally dx'ed with GERD.

Thanks for being patient with me. I'm simply hoping to find someone with similar issues and if maybe the esophagitis might be tied up to what's going on with the diarrhea like pains, or whether I might be going to develop another adhesion and this is something else altogether. I am aware that Barrett's Esophagus can lead to other things down the road, but I'm not concerning myself with that right now. I'm 38.

I was posting in the undiagnosed group's forum for a while back in 2014 when my gastro thought I might have Crohn's. I met some wonderful people experiencing unpleasant things with their health. I am grateful to all of those people who supported each other and myself while we were/are trying to figure out what's going on.

I have a complicated question but I need to fill in some blanks first. I'm notorious for long stories, sorry.

I recently got a new primary care provider (doctor or GP for non-US people). My previous one resigns from her practice in about a week. Anyhow, one of the first things he asked me was about my gastrointestinal issues and I told him I'd basically given up on exploration, as it were.

In 2014, I had both endoscopy and colonoscopy. All they found was gastritis (non h. pylori). About two months later I nearly had a stroke or heart attack (not sure which because I got medical attention as BP had sky-rocketed and that's not normal for me - that was low potassium). I then experienced total bowel obstruction, later reduced down to partial obstruction. I couldn't even pass water through my system. Before this happened, I found out I wasn't viable for the pill cam. It turns out I had an adhesion (previous cancer surgery from 2005). Now, I realize this isn't Crohn's, or probably isn't, but my visit with my new PCP was interesting. He prefaced what he had to say with "I don't like to speak ill of other doctors" - he was referring to the gastroenterologist who couldn't find anything wrong with me. But then he printed off the pathology report from 2014 and a doctor had signed off "BX all okay. Keep up fluids." Yet, further up the page the findings were esophagitis in three areas and gastritis non- h. pylori. The razor blades I started experiencing in my gut, I thought was the gastritis. Nope. My new doc says it's the esophagitis and he explained what it was and how it progresses. Further personal research indicates what Barrets esophagus is and I'm wondering if this might be tied into these weird gutsaches I now get which have the feeling of the onset of diarrhea (you know those awful cramps) and yet I don't have a result. it's like I get diarrhea like bouts that don't go anywhere for a couple of days. The other issue is a little embarrassing, but what the hey...I had a child in 2011 and began experiencing mild fecal incontinence, so every time I get the diarrhea like guts ache, I start leaking too. Not like you might think though - more a burning. So, I'm wondering with my insides just opened up on this post - no pun intended - is does anyone else have esophagitis, gastritis and problems with diarrhea-like guts ache (with wind etc) and then they can't actually do anything about it? I've looked up (google is sometimes your friend) the symptoms but as soon as I mention fecal incontinence, all the searches focus on that and that's a symptom relating from child birth, but it's more noticeable during/after the guts ache. Also, sometimes when I do evacuate, I can't fully evacuate and this has become a regular problem (again, no pun intended). I'm wary of seeing a gastro at the moment because my last one was obviously fairly useless and the ER was the place I obtained help. I'm not crippled in pain right now (been going on and off, but still waiting to get the rest out). I don't have celiac sprue and the endoscopy didn't show colitis (I have the results that show they don't). Swallowing some foods is becoming harder too. I never knew the cause of that until my new doctor told me the rest of the dx. He did mention OTCs and I mentioned I take triphala when I get the razor blades, which I haven't had those in a while. I do get chest pain but don't notice reflux and am not formally dx'ed with GERD.

Thanks for being patient with me. I'm simply hoping to find someone with similar issues and if maybe the esophagitis might be tied up to what's going on with the diarrhea like pains, or whether I might be going to develop another adhesion and this is something else altogether. I am aware that Barrett's Esophagus can lead to other things down the road, but I'm not concerning myself with that right now. I'm 38.
Can you go to another gi?

Thanks for the reply Ronroush!

I could, but right now I'm still paying for hubby's medical bills and I support a family of 3 on my income so at the earliest, we're talking next year. I probably need another endoscope. That was another positive about my new doctor. He mentioned he knew of another gastroenterologist and that I wouldn't have to go to KC or Wichita to see someone decent.

Still much the same. This morning I gasped - weird thing to say, but it was like I had a very brief issue breathing. I hadn't eaten anything except I took a Triphala hoping that would settle down the pain behind my sternum. Triphala is an Ayurvedic supplement that has helped the razor blades in my gut before - when I thought all I was dealing with was gastritis. It didn't really help and kind of stayed up in my esophagus for a while, but it was probably more helpful further south -as the bloating was a bit more bearable. The bloat one might attribute to IBS - but I know it's not that. Thanks for asking! Hope you are doing okay. You're not on this forum for no reason!

Still much the same. This morning I gasped - weird thing to say, but it was like I had a very brief issue breathing. I hadn't eaten anything except I took a Triphala hoping that would settle down the pain behind my sternum. Triphala is an Ayurvedic supplement that has helped the razor blades in my gut before - when I thought all I was dealing with was gastritis. It didn't really help and kind of stayed up in my esophagus for a while, but it was probably more helpful further south -as the bloating was a bit more bearable. The bloat one might attribute to IBS - but I know it's not that. Thanks for asking! Hope you are doing okay. You're not on this forum for no reason!
I am having labs. I don't know if I need a change in medication or if I am having a flare.

I know it gets incredibly frustrating. Have you actually been diagnosed now? I notice you're in the Crohn's and Gastroparesis support group also.

Thanks. I'm not sure I'm actively seeking one this minute. US healthcare is expensive, even with insurance. I think I have to wait for it to get really bad again and for the ER to have to intervene. I got virtually nowhere with the gastroenterologist in 2014 - well maybe not nowhere. We did rule a few things out. I may seek another endoscope next year. Until then, it's just deal with it - but it's good to know other people have an idea of what you're dealing with.

Thanks. I'm not sure I'm actively seeking one this minute. US healthcare is expensive, even with insurance. I think I have to wait for it to get really bad again and for the ER to have to intervene. I got virtually nowhere with the gastroenterologist in 2014 - well maybe not nowhere. We did rule a few things out. I may seek another endoscope next year. Until then, it's just deal with it - but it's good to know other people have an idea of what you're dealing with.
Best to you.

Trysha

Staff member
Esophagitis is not necessarily Barrett's..
I have had esophagitis for a number of years plus a duodenal ulcer which occurs off
and on.
Proton pump inhibitors have been very helpful in quenching the symptoms.....
omeprazole I find very effective .
My diagnosis is crohns and diverticular disease....and gastroesophageal reflux disease plus recurring duodenal ulcers .I am very well looked after by the Canadian medical system.,so I don't have to worry about funds for procedures and treatments.
It is appalling that your medical system does not cover for important investigations and treatment.
Esophagitis really needs treatment since chronic inflammation may lead to other complications.
Could your doctor give you a prescription for a PPI like one of the omeprazole series?they are not costly here but I don't know in your area.
I am so sorry to hear of your problems and hope you will soon find some relief.
Feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

Hi Trysha,

Yes the medical system here is messed up. I'm originally from New Zealand and we probably have a more similar public health system to you - tax payer funded for emergency and necessary surgical procedures and tests. I had a round of tests in 2006 there and it didn't cost me anything. Here, I lost track of the costs.

The doctor I saw did ask if I wanted to see a different gastroenterologist, but for right now my money is tied up because I'm still paying for hubby's physical therapy he had and he now needs to see the dentist - even with insurance it's going to cost. To top that off, my tendonitis in my ankle is flaring and I need to walk for my job - won't bother filing a work compensation thing because I got such a hard time the last time I did and I figure - it has to be worse for me to mention it now. Everyone's out to make a buck, but me!

Quite a few months ago I had terrible gut pains and attributed it to the gastritis they found, but now I'm guessing it's a combination of things.