• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

IV iron

Hello all,

First post here. Quick background. Diagnosed w/ Crohn's 15 years ago. Had a resection in 2007. Have had many blood transfusions.

Now, I am starting IV iron soon. Once a week for the first 4-6 weeks, then once a month thereafter until iron levels become normal.

I wanted to know of any side effects i should know of, or any other info that anyone has about IV iron injections.

Thanks
Stuart

I just started Iron IV as well. I havent noticed any side effects really. Prior to my first infusion my Iron was a 6, and after only one infusion its 59. The only thing I can tell you is the actual process of getting the infusion takes quite awhile.

Yeah it's a long infusion- although mine have always been on a one-off basis when I need it, so I don't know if a program like yours would need smaller doses. I haven't experienced any side effects, just a general boost in energy levels.

Thanks for the responses! I am going in on Wednesday. It';s going to feel strange to have so much energy, lol!

I had iron infusions last year - 10 infusions in two weeks. I was worried about it because it was my first time, but it was a piece of cake. The only issue was getting poked 10 different times and the bruises that left, but other than that I felt 100% better almost immediately. I never really had any side effects and I had a ton of Iron all at once, so you should be fine. I hope this helps!