• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

IV Pain?

I had an IV for about an hour a week ago. They missed and had to dig around a bit. However, I never got a bruise or anything. But the IV spot became very sore. As the days went on, it seemed to spread. It was right on my wrist. Now the pain goes from my knuckles to halfway to my elbow, in a line. There are no marks/bruises. But it hurts to bend my wrist (forward or backward) and the slightest touch hurts bad. Is this normal? I've never had this problem with my remicade IVs. This was for pain meds.:sign0085:

I've had lingering IV pain before - from anesthesia when the guy pushed the propofol too quickly. Similar type of pain that you are experiencing. I don't recall how long exactly the pain lasted, but it was at least several days.

You might want to just call your doctor about it though. Is it warm to the touch? If so, might be infected.

Couple possibilities - if they burst a vein really deep and there wasn't sufficient pressure, it could have bled into the surrounding tissue and created the pain/discomfort you are feeling. Secondly, the vein could also become irritated and cause the pain. I used to have some great veins when I was a kid, and a couple bad IV's at the hospital basically did them in. They went hard, very painful for several weeks, and never returned to their former glory. If you still have good circulation in your hands, it probably isn't much to worry about. Still, if you are concerned, get a professional to look at it.