• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I've failed

Today I was reminded how very different I am compared to young adults my age. While people my age are just finishing university I've held a job for nearly 3 years in fear of my unpredictable health. After graduating highschool I went straight to UNI to get education fast so that I have a cushion to land on. I needed health insurance and I needed a union job quickly. Now I'm beginning to think this job I have wasn't the smartest decision. I love it but it's hard on my body. Now re-thinking my entire life.

My dad has Crohn's as well and hasn't been able to work since the onset of his disease. this was crucial in my thinking I just had to sort my life out fast. I needed to start accumulating hours.. settle in a position so if need to I could get a decent amount on long term disability.

I've always had to think ahead.

my body's age is deceiving.

What do you guys do for a living?

I am a student right now, getting through school is a hell of a struggle and it scares me that "real life" is going to be even harder.

However, I think that your plan on getting an education was one of the most important things you can do for yourself because it opens up so many job opportunities for yourself. Education is something that can never be taken away from you, and with it you can find a job or a career where your needs are supported.

I am a student right now, getting through school is a hell of a struggle and it scares me that "real life" is going to be even harder.

However, I think that your plan on getting an education was one of the most important things you can do for yourself because it opens up so many job opportunities for yourself. Education is something that can never be taken away from you, and with it you can find a job or a career where your needs are supported.
Agree

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
MizzSarah, you haven't failed. You have an education, and as you said, you have a job you love. That sounds pretty good to me! And just because your father isn't able to work, that doesn't mean that will be true for you as well. We're all different, the illness affects us all differently. I have one family member who had IBD - my great-grandfather had UC, and he also had tuberculosis and cancer. I certainly don't expect that I'll end up with his various ailments just because of the family link. You are your own person, your father's story is not your own.

As for work, I also work an administrative office job. It's stressful sometimes but overall it's fairly easy on me. If I were healthier, I'd ideally love to get certified as a personal trainer and work with people with chronic illness to improve their fitness. I love fitness but I've been flaring since July and my body just can't handle workouts right now. That doesn't mean I'm giving up on that dream, it's just on the backburner for now. I'm going to get back into remission and work on getting my fitness level back up to where I'd like it to be. You've got to have goals, even with chronic illness. Maybe it'll never happen for me, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to try. Stay positive!