• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I've had crohns, but nothing like this

Of course it happens on a holiday. This past weekend was Victoria Day long weekend here in Canada. Two nights ago I ate two big burgers and had a couple margaritas. I splurged. Mind you, lately I've been a little lax in what I eat.

I should have started by saying my crohns is mainly in my colon. I have about 7 very watery movements a day and very little pain. Mostly always blood. But as I said not much pain to speak of.

So at about 10pm I start getting incredible heartburn. I've never really had heartburn but it was in the area of my chest right where the ribs start to open up. It was freaking Painful! I couldn't do anything but just sit and wince in pain. I stayed up all night in pain taking pepto and tuna and Tylenol but nothing helped. Around 5am I realized I hadn't gone to the washroom all night which just doesn't happen. So I started thinking blockage- which I too have never had. So I went to emerg where they took blood and X-rays of my abdomen and told me there was absolutely nothing wrong with me - he saw a couple air pockets and not much "poop" inside me.

So by noon I still hadn't had one of my watery movements the pain had moved down towards my belly button on right side. I left the hospital in pain and came home to lie down and suffer. My gi was enjoying her holiday , as she should, and so I had to wait. I started getting a fever and chills once I got home and the pain moved down below my belly button across my body. I finally had a movement and I spent the rest of last night going to the bathroom every two hours for a weird watery movement.

Now I have an extreme tenderness to touch across that area under my belly button, my fever is gone.. and I don't know what to do.

Hopefully my dr calls me as I put in many calls... but.. is this crohns?

When people speak of pain, is this the type of pain they get? That was freaking unbearable.

I'd love to know other people's experiences with pain.

Oh and ironically I have an MRI this am for my small bowel. It was scheduled months ago and has never been done.

I had to prep fir this too so I haven't been able to drink anything for the last little while and I'm dehydrated as F right now.

Anyway.. that was a long rant but I've been hoping someone will say.. that happens to me all the time...

Or whatever

You described crohns pain. It moves,and will leave you sore for a couple of days. Sounds to me like a mild flare. Your GI can give you meds that will help. It sounds like the worst of it is over but I'd still suggest going to your GI and get meds,that way you'll have them when/if you have another flare. They can last for a week or more.

Bufford

Sounds to me that you had a blockage, and as it moved along you felt its movement. Once cleared from your pipes it has left them tender. Perhaps it was that second burger that overwhelmed your system.

As it turns out I did have a partial intestinal blockage as per MRI. I think it's 5-10cm in and I'm distended right before that.

My GI told me to only drink clear fluids for 3days. So I went home, went shopping and went home to bed and tried to drink clear fluids.

Problem was, I was running to the toilet every hour on the hour. My stomach was distended and I couldn't get fluids in as fast as they were coming out. Last night was insane.. I started getting severe leg cramps which eventually started happening in my arms, my back and even my forehead a bit as weird as that sounds.
I emailed my gi (many times that night) and went to emerg in the morning. My gi called me on route and said they would be expecting me and that I should plan to stay a few days.

I'm here now in a room with ice chips and an IV. Still no freaking food since Sunday night.
My bloodwork showed very low sodium and stressed kidneys.
I've had a bag and a half of saline and am just sorta feeling not completely unhealthy. If that makes sense.

They want to test me for cdiff but I haven't eaten in days so I don't know what they are going to get.

Anyway. What a freaking roller coaster.

When I heard I had a partial obstruction I was kinda relieved because "all I had to do was drink clear fluids for three days" then the tenderness and pain in my gut disappeared and I thought I was laughing. Then these freaking legs cramps started! Who knew THATS what would send me to emerg.

Crohns is such a bastard.

I hope you feel better soon. I have had horrible heartburn from hamburger meat. I think it's the high fat content. Your cramps could have been caused by the low sodium. When you have diarrhea it helps to drink sports drinks to replace it. I went off my diet this weekend too, and I look like I'm 9 months pregnant, I'm so bloated. :(

So I'm still in hospital. My bloodwork showed perfectly normal on Monday. Like 0 inflammatory markers but Wednesday they were 228, which is apparently high. So they're confused. I honestly don't know when I'm going to get out of here and am a bit frustrated. Yesterday I had clear fluids but I haven't eaten any food since Sunday night.

As soon as I sip about 12 sips of broth from s spoon I start to feel the distension and bloating coming on. Does that even sound possible?

This is driving me nuts.

I have s ct scan today to see sm bowel again.

The x-rays themselves may have caused a bit of pain, it should go away at least in a few days. It could be due to somethings called oxidative stress and ibd patients suffer from it. try some vitamin e or c they are antioxidants. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14670003

red meat typically can make symptoms worse also a few studies show people with ibd the removed it fare better in their symptoms, its also linked to increased risk in colon cancer, if you eat make it a once every 2-3 weeks type of thing and try to eat more fish , it can protect from colon cancer. Also going out to a restaurant can be a dirty experience which could make symptoms worse as you battle new bacteria in the environment.

Just checking in to see how you are doing. Did you ever get discharged from the hospital? Did they ever figure out what was causing all your pain? Was it c-diff?

I found out I had crohns about 5 months ago and my dr said no red meat. Perhaps the burgers triggered this?

I'm jealous you had two burgers but I'm not jealous of the pain and discomfort you are experiencing.

I hope you are feeling better.

Would you believe me if I said I'm Still in hopsital?

What a roller coaster. I have to admit I'm not entirely upset where I am right now, but what an emotional and physical INSANE journey this has been. Mostly unexpected as well.

Today is my discharge date. I've had ivs on both arms- so mostly bed ridden, a blood clod in my PICC line, now I'm on thinners, I had my colon and some of my small intestine removed and I have an ostomy now. I have a wound infection that's just now looking a bit better and they are sending my home with community care. I guess I'm getting something called a VAC machine for the next little while.

What a Fing roller coaster.

Sorry to hear that you have been through so much but you should find that, once you have got it sorted, the ostomy will give you more certainty and security in your life. It certainly has in mine.

There is a Stoma Subforum (in the Surgery Forum) which might be a help to you and there are lots of us happy to answer any questions that you have.

Oh you poor thing. Can't believe they put you through all that initially to result in surgery.. Hope you feel slightly better now & get to go home soon xx

Bufford

Oh my you went through a lot. I have a stoma and your experience at the hospital was similar to mine. I went into the ER never expecting to need a stoma, but two months later I was discharged with one. Since then the quality of life has greatly improved. There is a learning curve to living with one, but its not bad once one gets used to it. Actually there are some advantages, one of them is not needing to sit on toilets.