• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I've had Crohn's over 40 years now

I was diagnosed with Crohn's when I was 10 years old, and now I am 51. If anything I would like to offer hope and encouragement.:).

Over the years, I have had a total of 4 bowel resections and other Crohn's related surgeries. I also almost lost my colon to a cancer diagnosis in my 20's, but it turned out to be displactic cells, which are common during a flare up and was able to avoid getting a bag.

I have been on many drugs over the years including 5 years on prednisone, but none of them ever worked.

Eventually, in my early 30's, with 2 small children, everything failed and I was in a very bad spot. The doctor's left me with no viable option, so i had to deal with it myself.

I began with food, eating only organic veggies and juicing. Over 3 weeks I gained 30 pounds from that, bringing me to a healthy weight from 85 lbs. I addressed my food through trial and error and an elimination diet. The outcome was very similar to what is now the SCD. Then I moved on to examine the other areas of my life.

I looked at the spiritual roots that may have caused this. I addressed exercise, sleep, vitamins and eliminating worry. I found my limits and went to them and not beyond. Over the years, my boundaries stretched and I discovered a very full life.

I have been through a divorce, raised 4 healthy (thank G-d) children and worked through a second challenging marriage, until it became a good one. I have maintained exciting jobs and created organizations that did things that mattered to me. I was active and able to be outside a lot. (In fact, right now, I am taking an outward bound like course focused on wilderness healing.)

After about 18 years in a drug free remission, I once again became very sick with a fissure that went from my intestines out through my belly button amoung other things. After the surgery for that, I didn't get better. In fact I got much worse. It wasn't until my organs started shutting down that we discovered I was Celiac.

That was about 6 years ago now. I took about a year to regain my energy, but I did. Except for the occasional Venifer treatment for my iron level, everything has been maintained through diet and lifestyle.

Over the years, I discovered many great things to help maintain a healthy vibrant life and I have learned a great deal with my body as my teacher.

I wish you success on your journeys and hope they are part of the path to a wonderful life.