• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

IVF and vaginal fistulas

My husband and I have been undergoing (unsuccessfully) fertility treatment and we are at the point where our next step would be IVF. My doctor is a bit concerned because i have had two surgeries for rectovaginal fistulas and he said that the process of getting the eggs could disturb that area and cause another fistula. Does anyone know anything about this? Anyone done IVF after having a vaginal fistula or surgery for one?

Hi Cookie
I'm almost in the same position. We have been doing, unsuccessfully, for 2 years, IVF.
I have been basically in remission with my Crohn's but my eggs ran out of time. I started flaring about a month ago and at first my GI said "no way" to having a baby. But, after discussing my situation (using donor eggs) she says as long as my RE says my uterus is ok, then we can go ahead once the flare is under control. The only thing is, because of the recto-vag fistula, I would have to deliver by C-section. She even said I would stay on the Humira for part of the pregnancy.
I hope that helps a bit. And, hopefully, others will be able to add their experiences.

Take care and good luck!!!!

Thanks for the input Tammigurl. So, am I to understand that you have had your eggs extracted for IVF? Did this cause any problems with your fistula? Do you currently have a fistula? Sorry for so many questions. I am just feeling a bit overwhelmed because I honestly never thought it would get to this. At first my doctor said no way to the IVF, but now that that may be our only option, he's making it sound like a possibility. I just want to have a good handle on the risks. He mentioned using donor eggs as well, but I would like to use my own if that is a possibility.

BTW, my doc said the same thing about the C-section.

Good luck with your IVF. Please keep me posted on how things are going!

Sorry, am of no help with the fistula part, but I can send you somewhere with lots of good IVF/infertility info. www.inciid.org
This is where I hung out when I was going through my own infertility battle and our IVF. I didn't have crohn's at the time, so I wasn't dealing with that on top of everything else, I feel for you! Best of luck to you!!!

Thank you so much for that link, Heather. It looks like a fabulous forum. I like that they have doctors on hand to answer your questions. I'm sure I will be hanging out there quite a bit.