• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Joining you sooner than anticipated.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
Well I had my pre-surgery appt.

Today went well I guess, they took blood and vital signs. Asked about my medications, I doubt they'll give me any pot while I'm there though. went over my bowel habits. And gave me a pre surgery pack, marked my stoma location etc.

Instead of it being next Friday it is now next Tuesday. This completely messes up my schedule for the week. I was supposed to run around and grab stuff. Now I have almost no time to prepare for it. I'm now super anxious.

And I need to be at the hospital for 6:30 am. I show up the morning of the surgery and spent all of Monday on clear fluids.

I'm going to spend the next week committing acts of gluttony and alcoholism.

Terriernut

Oh Shit! (pardon the pun) Well, if you were closer I'd join you in gluttony and alcoholism! Oh hey....I can join you cyberly...Toast!

It must have put you into a shock alright! Run around like a fiend and get your 'bucket list' of food...however, you will be eating like a proper pig in no time after surgery. So you don't have to worry about a 'last supper' In fact, you'll be feeling so good after about 3 months you'll be eating for 3!

I'm sorry they've put you into a spin Vonfunk. Please dont worry. We're all here behind you, come what may.

Watch out for the night before prep, all tell me it's horrible. Not as bad as starving me for 3 days before surgery I wouldnt think, but bad just the same. Take some nice reading material for the loo for the night before mate!

Misty

Nyx

Sorry they screwed you up with the date change! But Misty is right, after about 3 months you'll be eating all those things you think you need to be eating now, but without all the pain and diarrhea (or constipation if you go that way)...and the drinking! It's nice to be able to do that again.

Hopefully your surgery is smooth and your recovery uneventful :) Good luck! We'll all be thinking about you!

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
Apparently I don't need to do any prep beyond only consuming clear fluids on Monday.
As it turns out they need the slot for a cancer patient. The asked me if I could do it on the 15th, I said no, because A) I have a job and B) I have a massive party planned for Saturday.
I'm going to end up leaving my room mate a whack of petty cash, so she can run around for me.

Hey there!
Sorry they rushed you I know how nervous you must be! Haha I was the same before my surgery with food, but boy did it hurt ! Lol I had to try a double down burger before I went in, it wasn't that great though. :( I'm 3 weeks post op and I am back in hospital, but other than a couple of episodes, infection and constipation It has been a much nicer recovery than expected. are you getting a colostomy or ileostomy?

Good luck!

Terriernut

VonFunk has minions!!! :worthy: Seriously, I'm very glad your roomie can and will do that for you. That is great!

And I'm very happy no prep. I spent the night on the phone to a crohnie the night before, while she was doing the prep. I sat on my loo in sympathy with her.

It's gonna be ok vonfunk...really.

Misty

Terriernut

Hey there!
Sorry they rushed you I know how nervous you must be! Haha I was the same before my surgery with food, but boy did it hurt ! Lol I had to try a double down burger before I went in, it wasn't that great though. :( I'm 3 weeks post op and I am back in hospital, but other than a couple of episodes, infection and constipation It has been a much nicer recovery than expected. are you getting a colostomy or ileostomy?

Good luck!
Back in hospital???????????????????????????

Hey vonfunk, that's sucky that they pushed up the surgery date... but... the sooner it's done, the sooner you can heal! You'll be a few days ahead of what you would have been.

Have fun until then, and be sure to come back and post all about it! All the best to you, and I'll be thinking about you on Tuesday!

ameslouise

Hey Funk - Wishing you all the best. Better sooner rather than later, but I know how you feel - running around like you are going to the gallows, tyring to get everything squared away before the surgery.

Be careful with the eating and drinking before your surgery! Oh, who am I kidding? I did the same thing! I figured I was going to feel like shit anyway, might as well enjoy myself!

Good luck - can't wait to hear all about it on the other end (so to speak) and know that you are recovering comfortably!

xo - Ames

I did the same thing before my surgery, I'm usually a healthy eater but I threw caution to the wind cuz I figured the next day it would be flying out the other end before it had the chance to clog my arteries or make me fat lol. Got good and drunk too!!!
Good luck with your surgery!
Pack gum.
And chapstick.
And a body pillow if you have one. Mine made me so comfy!

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
@lotte I'm getting an ileostomy
@astra I'm not entirely sure yet, at this point of time I'm leaning towards chicken fried steak
@poolside chapstick? No, I'm a boy. Boy's don't use chapstick.

Really? Boys don't use chapstick?
What about lipsol?
Vaseline?

Your lips will get dry! Especially when they don't let you drink much a couple of days post op!

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I would rather cover my entire body with lip balm than put it on my lips.

I hate the way it feels, I don't even like kissing people wearing lip balm or lip stick.

Terriernut

Ok big guy....SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:rof:

Have dry lips then. If you dont like the stuff fair nuff, but you were warned...and KISSED by the poo fairy!

Misty

Hey there Funk, I just read your stuff and please know we will all be thinking about you and hoping for the best. Take good care buddy :)

Nyx

I third the chapstick thing...if you don't bring any and you wind up wanting some, just ask them for some. The kind they give in the hospital is actually really good!

LOSTnut

Poopy
Good luck and take care. Hope everything will go well, despite upping the surgery date and putting you into a tailspin. :)

LOL. There's Chapstick that comes in a black tube with no flavor-does that make it more "manly"? Burt's Bees makes a good one, too, that's the only one my husband will use-and he's a construction guy!:ylol:

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
It has nothing to with the flavour. It's just how it feels that I hate.

And Ames, if by Chapstick you mean gin (or bourbon) I will happily pm you my address.

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Wow Von, I guess it's just about time! I'm with you on the chapstick! Gotta put it on my finger first then smear it on...nah, I'm joking! Carmex is the best!!

Good luck Tuesday!!

I'm kinda giggling cuz here you are getting ready for a big surgery and we are blabbering on about chapstick lol.
Hey, it's the little things that make or break a hospital stay!

Best wishes!!

Hey von-maybe try to get some decent hospital gowns-you can buy them online now. I'm definitely gonna get a few-during my last hospital stay I managed to get a huge gown and flashed everybody!

Hmm maybe that's why I get so many male nurses now lol.

Here's a link for you if you're interested:
http://www.jazzyhospitalgowns.com/

Terriernut

Jeanette, I'm not gay, but one look at you, and I can certainly understand why the male nurses loooove you!

I never wore the hospital gowns. They couldnt be asked to go upstairs to find me child size, so they let me wear sweats and Tshirts, etc. Not that they actually LET me, I dare anyone to tell me what to wear. But yes Vonfunk...lots of loose comfy clothes.

Yes...when you pass the womens ward and your bum is out...we will whistle or cat call. Embarrassing really. But fun to do!!!

Misty

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I can't be bothered to buy actual gowns for myself. Surgery is in two days and there is a postal strike right now.
Generally when I was in last time I just wore two gowns and a pir of shorts when wandering.

Terriernut

You are gonna be too sexy for your gown anyway Vonfunk!!! :ycool:

Hows the preparation going sweets?? (or are you sober enough to answer?)

Misty

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
Well my colon's going away party was Saturday, the last guests went home around 5am on Sunday.
I slept until noon, went out grabbed breakfast, ham and eggs, with copious amounts of coffee and a screw driver ( I went to highschool with the bartender so it was basically a glass of vodka with orange juice for colour).
The last things to go through my body before i switched to clear fluids today were a giant piece of chocolate cake, a glass of Woodford Reserve Bourbon and 3 glasses of Glenrothes 16 year old scotch.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I loaded up on scotch when I was in England in February. The entire time I was at customs all I could think was "please don't open my bags".

Terriernut

Next time you come to Merry Ol England....look some of us up! Although I dont propose to keep up with your drinking!

How are you doing? Feeling Ok about tomorrow?? Go ahead...vent away if you need.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
@Misty - I was only there for a week, and stayed in London the entire time. Spent 3 days visiting a friend who moved there, and then hung out with a band in the recording studio. I wish I could have seen more, but I was really short on time. I was offered places to crash, but they were all outside of London.

@Jeanette I'm usually that way when I go anywhere. Alcohol is so expensive in Ontario,but I'm a huge fan of loading up on rum when i head to Cuba.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
updates-
-Surgery went, they didn't need to open me up
-blockage lots of vomiting
-still NPO
-gum
-hooray for opiates
-I'm pretty sure my junk still works
-hospital blocks facebook for some reason

I'll be back when have something to say

lol best update ever!

Glad it went well. Bit weird about facebook though. Although I always just use 3g on my phone. I'm too cheap to pay for the tv/internet thing.

Sounds like you're doing well. Glad to hear the surgery went well. I wish you a speedy and uneventful recovery.

Dear Mr. Vonfunk

I saw that you are having or have had an ostomy adjustment...or ostomy original. How'd did it go? I admire your bravado. Geez with a name like Vonfunk, I figured you for a big complainer. Wrong? Well, thats actually an unfair question if you were just under the knife recently. I like the cheeriness in these posts. I am glad I was directed to the Stoma Subforum by Terrinut. (another cool site name) I have to come up with one. Maybe you can help when your up and running again. I hope all is well and I hear from you soon. Lesliegg :rosette2:

Nyx

Glad to hear from you vonfunk! Sounds like you're coming along nicely...yes, opiates are wonderful, aren't they? Hope you continue to heal uneventfully :)

Glad the junk is still functional lol.
Also glad to hear you are on the mend.
Enjoy your NPO diet, just envision that you'll be chowing large on whatever you want soon!

LOSTnut

Poopy
Good to hear that everything went well. Have a speedy recovery, get out of there soon and recover enough to have one of your beloved alcoholic beverages.
Until then, I guess, opiates have to do! :)

ameslouise

They kept the VonFunk in your junk!

Keep getting better every day and enjoy those opiates while the getting's good!

xo - Ames

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I was really expecting to be a lot worse off really,I mean aside from the blockage in the first few days, it really turned around quickly. I was not expecting to be up and about this soon.

Terriernut

Its great to hear. They like you to be up and walking around ASAP. Of course this is hopefully not painful, as you are on pain meds!

I think I felt pretty good in hospital, as well as poss anyway. After I got home was the hard part!

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I plan on leaving here stacked with scripts.
They learned early on that my tolerance for painkillers is high, so I will be leaving with lots. Currently they have me on Diaudid, and Nabilone.
Plus I have a ton of pot in both regular and baked format to self medicate with.

How ya doing now? My GI told me a few days ago to start thinking seriously about colectomy.. I wasn't expecting to hear that so soon. I am very interested in your progress.