• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Joint pain in the run up to next Humira injection?

Hi everyone!

I started Humira in January and started off well (just needing a burst of Pred to kick-start things).

But recently I've been getting tendonitis/joint pains which start in my hands and then move to my arms and knees. Last night was crippling and I could hardly do anything at all.

I keep note of everything in a diary and I noticed that last time this happened (two weeks ago) it suddenly stopped later on the day that I had my Humira jab.

My next jab is due tomorrow so I am keen to see if this resolves the pain again, at least for the next week or so.

Does anyone else experience this? Can you get around it by changing to weekly injections?

Any ideas will be very gratefully received!

my little penguin

Staff member
Happens to ds
He has JSpA
Have you seen a Rheumo?
Added Mtx first
Then increased humira to weekly
Then added more Mtx

But he has been on humira for 4+ years

Thanks my little penguin.

I haven't seen anyone yet. I left a message with my IBD nurse today and will see what happens after tomorrow's jab. I've also made an appointment to see a GP next week in case it doesn't get any better.

I've also had a strange kind of fatigue in my leg muscles recently. If I stretch them or get up after sitting for a while my thighs feel really achey, as if I've just been for a run, but that feeling has gone again after a few seconds. Weird!

Maya142

Staff member
It's definitely worth seeing a rheumatologist. SpA can occur in any joint, though lower back, hip, SI joint and knee pain are all very common. The fact that it's occurring right before Humira is due does make it sound like it's some kind of arthritis.

Typically, MRIs, symptoms, bloodwork and a physical exam are used to diagnosed SpA. X-rays may also be done, but since damage takes a long time to show up on x-ray (can be 8-10 years) they are often clean.

SpA can flare independently of the Crohn's or when the Crohn's is flaring. In my daughter's case, it is independent.

Both my daughters have SpA and when both were on Humira, they needed it weekly and with MTX to control their arthritis.

CCFA has a good explanation of the various kinds of arthritis associated with Crohn's:
http://www.ccfa.org/assets/pdfs/arthritiscomplications.pdf

Good luck! I'd talk to your GI and see if you can see a rheumatologist.

Thanks Maya142,

Thankfully today has not been as bad as yesterday. My GI and IBD nurse have always been very pro-active at investigating any symptoms, so I'm sure they will be helpful if this continues to be a problem.

Hmm ... So, no improvement with my jab on Wednesday. Usually my joints have just ached but last night some of my knuckles were quite swollen and I have noticed some (very faint) bruising there (and no, I've not been fighting!!!).

I can't get hold of my IBD nurse, but my GP said I can pop in and at least get my clotting checked. Got a proper GP appointment booked for Monday.

It's all so frustrating - just when you think things are starting to go OK, in comes another curve-ball!

Hmm ... So, no improvement with my jab on Wednesday. Usually my joints have just ached but last night some of my knuckles were quite swollen and I have noticed some (very faint) bruising there (and no, I've not been fighting!!!).

I can't get hold of my IBD nurse, but my GP said I can pop in and at least get my clotting checked. Got a proper GP appointment booked for Monday.

It's all so frustrating - just when you think things are starting to go OK, in comes another curve-ball!
I hope your GP can help you. Let us know.