• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Joint pain on Remicade

Ever since I started Remicade I have had severe joint pain in my knees. When I'm up and moving I am fine but it's when I go from stationary to moving that it is super painful. I'm not sure if this is a normal side effect of the drug or if I should be worried and contact my doctor right away. I've heard the drug can induced lupus and other things but is arthritis one of those?

Are you taking Imuran with the Remicade? I had severe joint pain a couple years ago and my GI took me off Imuran first to see if it was the reason. I would talk to your GI, they can refer you to a rheumatologist.

Remicade can cause joint pain for some people. That said it's impossible to say without testing that it's from the Remi. Have you been tested for RA or had x rays of your joints at all?

I haven't done anything before with my joints because I've never had this problem before. I just started right after I started Remicade so that's why I'm thinking its because of that and not something else. I will have to mention it to my doctor the next time I see him. It's just frustrating because it seems to be working other than the achy feeling so I really hope I don't have to get off of it because of that but also don't want to end up with another problem either.

It's probably the Remicade, I had brutal joint pain from Remicade, ended up getting (drug induced) lupus, and the blood work proved me right, after I told the doctor i was not going to take it anymore. I was on Remicade for about 3/4 yrs before it popped up. If they try to send you to arthritis doctor, my advice is to say no, and change drugs.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to question your doctor, or insist on something else.

Jason

My son has had joint pain since starting Remicade in april of 15'. It doesn't appear to be that bad and sort of comes and goes. But, he's not a complainer, so I really don't know how bad it is.

My husband usually has joint pains a week after every infusion. It lasts for a day or two and is quite mild. So his GI said not to worry about it unless it is consistent and more in magnitude. Good luck to you.

Thanks for the responses. Mine isn't too bad once I get up and moving but getting started can be killer. I have another infusion today so I'm going to see if it gets worse and then definitely address it with my doctor when I see him in September.

my little penguin

Staff member
Joint pain that get worse after sitting and gets better after movement is classic signs of SpA which is extremely common with crohns
It can run parallel to Gi flares or run independently
Ds has the kind that runs Independantly.

Tagging Maya142