• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Joint pain terrible fatique

hello to my fellow crohns buddies it took me years to get diagnosed, so frustrating i was very sick and and off for years id go to the doctor and they just couldnt figure it out finally in 1992 i had a gi bleed and my hemoglobin went to a four!! i was sure i was dying i got a transfusion and had a colonoscopy and upper gi they said i had colitis huh?? come again???? i questioned my own sanity i kept telling the doctor how sick i was feeling anyhow then my husband passed away in an accident like 2 months later i was devastated.... i moved with my 2 young children and tried to go on by tis time i was on antidepressants well i kept having horrible gi problems and in 1997 i had another gi bleed this time i only went to a seven...finally my doctor called in a gastroentrologist and she did a colonoscopy and took biopsies finally i had an answer crohns disease... what a relief ive been on sulfa drugs ad to stop taking asaids then i started prednisone at a low dose and that helped a lot for a while now lately i have terrible joint pain and horrible fatique sometimes imsurprised im still alive i mean how can you feel so sick for so long and still be alive ????? welcome to the world of crohns if anyone has any suggestions im open to it i do take a b 12 supplement and vitamin d and c thank you!! cj

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi cj lord and welcome to the forum! :D

Are you currently taking anything for Crohn's? I know you mentioned sulfa drugs and steroids but are you still on either one? Azulfidine can cause fatigue: http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-11925-Azulfidine+Oral.aspx?drugid=11925&drugname=Azulfidine+Oral Crohn's disease in general can cause joint pain/problems. "Crohn’s disease is associated with extraintestinal manifestations that may be more problematic than the bowel disease." http://www.hopkins-gi.org/GDL_Disea...DL_DC_ID=D03119D7-57A3-4890-A717-CF1E7426C8BA

When was the last time you had your iron tested? Even if you aren't currently bleeding you may still need to supplement. Since Crohn's affects absorption of nutrients you should have all of your vitamin levels tested (all of them, not just iron) to make sure you aren't low or deficient in any (even being low can bring on symptoms of a deficiency). Being low or deficient can cause symptoms like fatigue, joint pain, depression, weakness, dizzy etc. So its good to have them tested every now and then.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Please keep us posted on how you're doing.

Hi cjlord! Welcome to the forum! I am sorry that you are feeling so crappy right now. Do you have another appointment with your GI doctor to talk about getting on a better medication regimen? Prednisone works, and can be very helpful in the beginning, but it is not idea as a long term treatment. I think you would be best served by talking with your doctor...tell him/her about all of these symptoms so that a better medication regimen can be found.

I can definitely relate to your joint pain and fatigue. When my Crohn's symptoms were at their worst I had skin lesions, total exhaustion and fatigue as well as chronic diarrhea. I know that it is hard with kids (I have three of my own, although I do also have my husband to help). My best advise it to try to get as much sleep as possible. Serve meals on paper plate to cut down on the dishes you have to do, order pizza and other easy things so that when your kids go to sleep you can put yourself to bed soon there after.

I hope that you can find relief soon.
Lisa

All the best to you CJ. Are you seeing a rheumatologist for the joint pain? If not I'd recommend getting a referral to see one. Like 25% of Crohn's patients I have arthritis and this has only been alleviated by getting a correct diagnosis from a rheumatologist followed by correct drugs. Prior to being diagnosed with Crohn's, I was on Naproxen but following the Crohn's diagnosis I had to go off it because it's an NSAID and am now on Humira for both the Crohn's and arthritis which so far (touch wood) is working well. I take a combined calcium/Vitamin D supplement so maybe that is something for you to consider.

nativesith

GTA ModLeader Psx-Scene
I am so sorry for all you went through and your loss of a loved one.
Years of searching for a Dx , all the while amazed one is still alive.
I know what that is all like. Joint ( and stomach)pains, terrible fatigue. My knee is pretty bad...i bought a cheap knee brace(15 dollars) but it really helps. Compression?
I notice my foot gets a lil swollen from wearin it all day.
I take b12, d3, and iron supplements and I know they help. D3 I can feel working, I feel more positive.
Some options to consider.

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
I too have joint pain alt when my crohns is flairing. I've been told it is part of having crohns. I comes and goes from day to day. Things will get better for you. Keep your head up.