• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Joint pain?

My son is currently enjoying! his low fibre diet after 7 weeks on EEN. No meds atm until we see the drs next week for his iron infusion and another pillcam scope. But for the last two days he has said he has sore ankles, backs of his legs and his wrists..is this something associated with Crohns??

Thanks x

It may be an EIM (extraintestinal manifestation) of his CD. There are threads here on the forum that describe the EIMs that can affect IBD'ers. Dusty, and I think MLP have great links to information about these. With joint pain it might be a good idea to schedule an appointment with a Rheumatologist. I hope his joint pain subsides soon. My son gets joint pain too, mainly his knees, ankles and lower back. You can click on the highlighted words above and also get a description of EIMs and threads that make mention of them.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Any swelling in the ankles or other areas? I remember my GI always checking for swelling around my feet and ankles when I was a kid. I believe he was looking for signs of edema (swelling under the skin). Achy joints can be caused by Crohn's for sure and can also be a type of arthritis (an x-ray will show if there's arthritis). I agree with seeing a Rheumy even if its just pain brought on by Crohn's. Also check the possible side effects for the type of Enterna Nutrition formula he's taking as it could be related to that. http://www.drugs.com/cons/enteral-nutrition-formulas.html Possible side effects list is at the bottom of the page but I don't know what formula he's taking.

Hey Crabby didn't you post an awesome EIM chart somewhere? I was looking for it but couldn't find it.

Edit:

The chart was attached to alot of information about CD when you clicked on it, anyway I thought it had some great info it.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Ya that's in the EIM Sticky but I'll repost my post here. :) From here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=22407

"Crohn’s disease is associated with extraintestinal manifestations that may be more problematic than the bowel disease. Colitic arthritis is a migratory arthritis that affects knees, ankles, hips, wrists, and elbows that may accompany Crohn’s disease (although it is uncommon when Crohn’s is confined to the small intestine). Often, joint pain, swelling, and stiffness parallel the course of the bowel disease. Successful treatment of the bowel disease results in improvement in the arthritic symptoms. Pericholangitis, usually associated with primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC), is the most common hepatic complication of inflammatory bowel disease. PSC is demonstrable by endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) or hepatic magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Pericholangitis is characterized by inflammation of the portal tracts with lymphocyte and eosinophil infiltrates. Degenerative changes in the bile ductules are also characteristic. Kidney stones (calcium oxalate stones) are seen in patients with small-intestine Crohn’s disease. Inflammation from the bowel can result in urinary tract complications. Occlusion of the ureters, leading to obstruction and hydronephrosis, usually involves the right ureter in Crohn’s patients. Fistula can form between inflamed bowel and the urinary bladder leading to infection (Figure 8)."

http://www.hopkins-gi.org/GDL_Disea...DL_DC_ID=D03119D7-57A3-4890-A717-CF1E7426C8BA

That image and the link itself gives a great overview on Crohn's.