• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Joint Pain

I have had crohns for 10 years, and have been on all the meds available. I am currently on Remicade and have been on it for years. It seems to keep things under control for the most part. I have had four bowel resections and also fought fistulas. I am currently experiencing extreme joint pain, mostly in my hands and wrist. My hands and fingers actually swell. I have back and hip pain and also ankle and Achilles pain. Any suggestions? I visit my GI next week, hopefully he can help.

My rheumatologist put me on Sulfasalazine along with my Remicade & Methotrexate. It took almost 2 months to kick in(according to her that's how long it can take) but this week for the first time in 5 years I have NO joint pain anywhere!!! Its a miracle drug for me.

I'm on Humira for Crohn's and Juvenile Ankylosing Spondylitis. I'm on a double dose (1x week instead), but even so it is less effective in treating the JAS symptoms than Enbrel. Enbrel was an amazing biologic and basically controlled all my joint symptoms entirely, but Enbrel doesn't treat Crohn's so I switched. I developed JAS first, in high school, 7 years ago. I developed Crohn's last year.

Your symptoms sound similar to mine: back, wrists, hands, fingers, heels. I have swelling in both hands in my fingers and pain and stiffness. Over time my joint pain spread to knees, back, neck, and most recently elbows. I played soccer as a kid and I had to quit due to Achilles and Plantar Fascia problems. I also used to play piano and had to quit for tendonitis in my wrists. It confused my doctors for years.

Last edited: