• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Joint Problems

I'm starting to have issues with Remicade by it not being strong enough.
I started at every 8 weeks, then every 6 weeks, and today I am going to start going every 4 weeks. After that its double the dose every 4 weeks. Then nothing left to do.
I find its my associated manifestations from the Crohn's that is the worst. 3 weeks after my infusion I start to get mild joint pain, but by middle of week 4 I am crawling up my stairs because I can't walk.
But I start flaring again at week 4, with constant BM and a sore tummy.
Has anybody else experienced this?

Hi Ashley

I have been on Remicade for roughly 4 yrs now and i'm also feeling the results are wearing off. So much so that i have a abcess/fistula which will not close/heal. I was originally put on it to close a different fistula and it worked miracles until now. I have had my first double dose and will receive a second within the next few weeks, however it seems to be costly in the UK and they dont want to give me any more double doses after this. The next option for me is Humira.
Has your GI not discussed any alternatives with you?
Lisa x

Hi Ashley
The next option for me is Humira. Has your GI not discussed any alternatives with you?
Lisa x
Hey lisa!
Yes, my GI has been wracking his brain trying to figure out what to do. I go for my infusion on Tuesday, and then 4 weeks after that. If I start having pain again, he is going to double my dose. And if that doesnt work, he will put me on humera.
The stupid thing is that I haven't even been on Remicade for a year! I started it in August of 2010.
Frustration!

It is frustrating i to totally agree!! But Humira may be the way forward for us both:smile:
Lisa x