• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Jpouch surgery

I was wondering if anyone has a child who has had jpouch surgery after a subtotal colectomy? My child has had a stoma for 6 years and is doing well, we are thinking of doing the jpouch now that she is getting older but I cannot seem to find any information of children who have been through the same experience. I would really appreciate any information.

my little penguin

Staff member
J pouch only works if they are 100% sure it’s not crohns and just ulcerative colitis
J pouch doesn’t work for crohns patients

how old is your child ?
Done growing ?

crohnsinct

Yeah, I am sure you have read all the pros and cons of that surgery. My daughter has Crohn's and was facing a colectomy but a pouch was definitely not in her future given her Crohn's. You might have more luck asking in the adult section as I think there are more ostomates there. Also there are a bunch of stony support forums on line.

I have read about adult experiences but I was hoping to hear how it is for children. My child is 9 years old and the dr’s are recommending this be the best time but from everything I read it doesn’t seem like a great option at all.