• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Juicer

juicer

I noticed on a different thread that some of you are using juicers. I've been thinking about buying one so that I can increase the amount of fruits and veggies that I consume. Can anyone give me a recommendation on what kind to buy? Does it need to be an expensive one in order to work well? Thanks a lot.

Lisa

Hi Lisa,
I just bought a juicer Monday. I wasn't sure what kind to get or things to look for, so when I was at Walmart decided to see what they had. The one I got was a Hamilton Beach brand cost about $50. I was pleased the first time I used it, worked really well. They had a cheaper one, but it looked cheap. I did not want to get a really expensive one for my first one, until I knew if I would be happy with it. I am, so if I need a new one for any reason then I may spend a little more money on one.

I saw that one at Wal-Mart. I'm glad you like it. I think I'm going to get one for my birthday in March, though I haven't decided what kind yet. Thanks for the info!

Lisa

i got my juicer for xmas! its at my dads house though, so i dont remember the brand name off the top of my head. but when i get back there ill post again@

i like it a lot. you can shove whole fruits in there, peels, seeds and all! no prep work. and it just spits out the nasty stuff and gives you the juice

Hellokello (that's fun to say!!!) - That sounds awesome, the less work the better!! I can't wait to get one.

Lisa

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
I have the Breville Juice Fountain Plus, which was a birthday gift. I use it more for vegetable soup stocks than fruit juice. Works really well.

Hey Johnny - I saw that one at Best Buy last week and saw somewhere on the Internet that it is highly rated. It looks really nice. I hadn't thought of making soup stock with a juicer - great idea. Thanks. Hope you are feeling well.

Lisa

I am also thinking about starting to juice. I am sort of confused about what to juice. What are the best things to juice that dont cause pain or D? What are some good recipes?

I just ordered mine i have 3 recipes that seem like they would help here they are.

Colon Cleanser
2 Tbsp Flaxseed
1/2 a banana
1/2 a papaya
2 Tbsp Wheat or barley grass powder
2 Tbsp Acidophilus
1-2 cups water
Put the dry flaxseeds in the blender and blend into a meal. Add 1 cup of water and blend thoroughly. Add the papaya, banana, and wheat or barley grass, then acidophilus.

Intestinal Tea
1/4 inch ginger root
1 Tsp honey
1 bag or tsp chamomile
1 bag or tsp peppermint

These are 2 separate teas. Grate 1/4 inch piece into 1 cup of water. Steep for about 15 minutes. Chamomile and peppermint are leaf teas that soothe colitis, relieve gas and cramping. Drink these teas hot. Heat can be beneficial to healing because it increases circulation to the digestive tract.

Colon Tissue Repair
6oz Celery juice
1oz wheatgrass juice
1oz spinach juice
1oz cabbage juice
1oz parsley or alfalfa sprouts juice
Mix.

Well, I got a juicer for my birthday - a Breville Juice fountain like GJG mentioned above. I just love it. So far I have juiced apples, plums, pears, strawberries, grapes, pineapple, carrots, and spinach. It sure takes a lot of fruits and veggies to make a glass of juice, but boy is it tasty and very healthy!! My favorite combination so far was apples, plums, carrots, and spinach. I have not had any problems with it affecting my Crohn's (of course I'm on 50 mg of prednisone at the moment).

ooo thanks kromom!
ive been meaning to find this thread b/c i finally started actually using my juicer (that i got for xmas) hah lol

anyways! i was eating badly, no fruits or veggies bc my tummy was having a hard time with anything not squishy, so i was like hmmm juicer!

i looked up veggies and things that were good for crohns and malabsorbtion- mostly i heard bean sprouts, spinach, kale, carrots. lots of darker greens it seems.

i put: carrots, 1 apple, a hanful of spinach, some pineapple, and some bean sprouts all together and it was quite tasty!
they sweet fruits hid the taste of the bean sprouts and spinach

Mmmmm, that sounds good, Kello! Hopefully the extra vitamins you are getting will help you feel a little bit better before your surgery!

Juicing is the greatest thing to happen to me in a long time. I use the Omega Juicer, which cost me about $225, but is totally worth it. It's a "masticating" juicer, so it takes out all the fiber and roughage. In addition to making all kinds of juices from all kinds of fruits and vegetables, it can process garlic and ginger, it can make wheatgrass, pasta, nut butter....it tastes great.

I feel more energized and alive than I have in years. Literally years.

I'm still loving my juicer! I broke a part a few weeks ago and had to wait while a new one was on backorder - I was so lost without my juice!! My favorite is apple-carrot - strawberry - mmmmmmmm!!