• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Juicing Recipes!

Gianni

JUICING RECIPES!!

In this thread I will be posting juicing recipes and the benefits of all the recipes!!

I am kind of a health nut and I have made a massive excel sheet charting the different vitamin levels of each fruit and vegetable (that I could think of). So feel free to post your own recipes and I will add in the benefits of that particular juice and post on the first post.

If you want to learn about my opinion on how juicing is a viable treatment option for crohn’s, Click here.

Recipes:

My Favorite- The Red Head: This juice just tastes really good and in my opinion holds the best balance of extreme nutrition and great taste. Carrots are extremely high in beta-carotene. Beta-carotene substantially benefits your eyes, skin, hair, nails, teeth and gums. It also has anti aging properties as well as anti cancer effects. Sweet Potatoes are my favorite! You wouldn’t think they would juice well but indeed they juice really well. Sweet Potatoes are one of the only vegetables that contain Vitamin D and as you crohnies know, Vitamin D is extremely important for us. Sweet Potatoes also have more Vitamin A than carrots and more Vitamin C than an orange. They truly are heavy weight champs. “An apple a day keeps the doctor away.” That statement is so true as apples have great benefits. Apple skin has been shown to be superstars against just about every cancer. The great sugar in apple has been shown to be heart healthy. And the soluble fiber in apples has been shown to greatly reduce LDL cholesterol. Also apples through the high levels of Vitamin C and antioxidants has been shown to greatly improve immune response.

4-7 Carrots (depending on size)
2 sweet potatoes
2 Apples, (i use granny smith apples because of the lower sugar levels)

(typically I do a ginger shot here: see ginger shot)

Ginger shot: Ginger is great because next to turmeric it has the highest anti inflammatory level. It also helps ease stomachaches and cramps. Do I need to say more?

Top half of thumbs worth of Ginger
(you can include half of a peeled lemon here)
(I take the ginger shot separately from the juice in an actual shot glass usually and then use my juice that I just made as a "chaser" :).

The Mean Pristine Green: I try to make this juice every day and often I make variances of the juice so feel free to think a bit out of the box on this one. Dark greens are great because they contain a very good amount of healthy minerals. Kale is my FAVORITE because it has soooo many great benefits. It has high levels of Vitamin K which help protect against various cancer as well helps cognitive function. Kale also has high levels of antioxidant while being a negative calorie food. Kale contains very high levels of Vitamins A and C as well which I talked about in the red head juice. Kale is also very anti inflammatory and helps build very strong bones because of its great calcium levels ☺. I consider Red cabbage a super food. See the benefits of carrots and then multiply by two and then add in that Red cabbage helps Treat ulcers!!! (queue dancing now)!

3 Carrots
6-8 Kale Shoots or collard greens
6-8 Romaine Lettuce Leaves
Handful of Spinach
1 top of thumb worth of ginger
half of red cabbage
(may add one apple here if you want to sweeten)

DETOXER: This juice is great for removing toxins from your body. green vegetables as is help push out toxins but with the additions of garlic and onion and ginger it adds a very strong detox presence. This Juice is extremely beneficial for your liver which in turn will help your immune system.

3 carrots
4 Kale shoots
4 Romaine Lettuce Leaves
2 cloves of garlic
1/3 onion
2 celery
2 beets

Joint soother tummy mover:
This juice is great for reducing inflammation and also great in helping build strong bones and joints. This juice will also get things moving in your gut and soothe your digestive tract. The folate in the asparagus and broccoli will help regulate inflammation. Asparagus is high in Vitamin K to help build strong bone. Asparagus is also high in rutin, Vitamin C, and iron which all strengthen the immune system substantially. The apples contain natural laxatives to keep the gut moving while the ginger helps soothe and calm to tract as well as low inflammation in the body.

2 Apple
5 asparagus spears
1 handful of Parsley
3 carrots
3 stalks of celery
1 cup of broccoli
1 knob of ginger (optional)

Watermellow fello
This juice is really only for taste and to just enjoy a juice everyone once in awhile when it is hot outside. This juice tastes great. Unfortunately it is high in sugar but remember it is natural sugar, just don't have this every day, maybe just once every 2 weeks.
Having said that, watermelon is still an amazing food with many health benefits(if organic)
Watermelon is an extreme alkalizer for the body, meaning it will raise your ph level:)
Watermelon also contains the highest level of antioxidant, lycopene. Lycopene is considered one of the strongest antioxidants it even beats out beta carotene and Vitamin E. It helps reduce the risk of lung, colon, breast and other cancers.
Watermelon also has been shown to relax blood vessels as well as muscles.
Watermelon also contains very high levels of potassium.

1/4 of large watermelon (sizes really differ here so its best to eye ball it)
2 top half of thumbs worth of ginger
1 or 1/2 peeled lime
5+ mint leaves

Ready Steady Go! (submitted by beach bum:))
2 apples
1 small raw beetroot
1 small broccoli stem
1 celery stick
2 inch slice cucumber
1/4 of pineapple
Piece of lemon
All over Ice

Green Godess
I think this is the best tasting green juice out there. This is one of my only juices without carrots as a base and I really think that is what helps the symbiotic flavors mesh well.

Cucumber is 95% water but is extremely hydrating and gives you the electrolytes you need to start your day. Cucumber is EXTREMELY beneficial for diabetics as it contains helpful hormones that helps the pancreas in the production of Insulin. Google cucumber and diabetes and be amazed:).

Cucumbers also have high levels of silica which has been known to help with joint pain. The silica will strengthen the connective tissues within the joint. So for all you Crohnies experiencing joint pain, cucumbers may be worth looking into.

Swiss Chard is a super food. Swiss Chard contains an extremely high level of antioxidants that helps immune function, protects against aging, protects against degenerative diseases and repairs DNA damage. It contains beta-carotene, vitamin E, vitamin C, zinc, lutein, zeaxanthin, quercetin, kaempferol to name only a few of the many antioxidants.

Swiss chard is another great food for diabetics as it helps regulate blood sugar levels.

Swiss chard contains high levels of magnesium, calcium and Vitamin K which all are essential for healthy bones.

Swiss Chard is high in Iron:)

Swiss chard boasts an extremely high level of the antioxidant lutein, which is essential for eye health. Nutritional studies have shown lutein to prevent and even reverse age related eye damage. So for all you Crohnies with eye inflammation, this may be beneficial.

1-2 (2 if small) Cucumber(s)
2-3 shoots of kale
1-2 shoots of swiss chard
1 Granny Smith Apple
1 Peeled lemon
1 knob of ginger

Green Lemonade (submitted my Charleigh:))
3-4 Apples - Fuji is good, organic
1 Lime or Lemon – I like lime (use the rind also if organic, if not organic, peel it but leave the white )
fresh peeled ginger to taste- its hot so try a 1/4- 1/2 inch depending on width
Kale – 1-4 leaves with stems, depending on size and black kale is my favorite
1-2 stalks celery – optional but good for eliminating water retention

Benefits:
Celery: Celery is a nutritional powerhouse. While normally thought to be mostly water and therefore not very useful, nothing could be further from the truth. Just read this: http://www.naturalnews.com/027977_celery_healing.html :)

Celery is great for replenishing electrolytes!

Delicious Detox?

6 Apples- fuji organic
2 ginger knobs.
4 Mint leaves-

Apples are amazing! I talked about them already above but I'll say it again Apples are incredible but to get all the benefits they must be organic! This is a great detox that actually tastes really really good.

I have many more juices I would like to include but I will update them periodically as I want to give you guys the opportunity to submit juices.
Enjoy!

Ps. Once again, if you want to learn my opinion on why juicing is a great treatment plan for crohn's click THIS

Last edited:
Thank you , I brought a Juicer but found it was confusing to find the right mix. Im going to try this .. nothing to lose . ; )

Just wondering: do you boil/cook the beets/sweet potatoes before juicing? I haven't really looked into it, but someone at my farmers market told me to...

I always peel my sweet potato just because I get a slight tinge of potato peel taste at the bottom of the glassful and it grosses me out. But I love the smooth texture sweet potato gives a juice. My fave with sweet potato to juice one with 3 carrots, a handful of parsley, leaf or two of kale, and a peeled orange.

Gianni, is there a reason you peel your lemon? I always throw the entire thing in and don't taste a difference. I learned the hard way NEVER to do that with an orange though LOL. YUCK!

Gianni

I always peel my sweet potato just because I get a slight tinge of potato peel taste at the bottom of the glassful and it grosses me out. But I love the smooth texture sweet potato gives a juice. My fave with sweet potato to juice one with 3 carrots, a handful of parsley, leaf or two of kale, and a peeled orange.

Gianni, is there a reason you peel your lemon? I always throw the entire thing in and don't taste a difference. I learned the hard way NEVER to do that with an orange though LOL. YUCK!
There are three reasons why I peel my lemons for Juicing.

One, you never know whats on those lemons and although they might be organic, certain pesticides, waxes, and other chemicals are allowed to be used on the fruit or vegetable post harvest.

Two: Many juicers can't actually handle a lemon,orange,lime peels and will actually break. I found this out the hard way as my first juicer was a centrifugal juicer and i threw the whole lemon in there and the engine heated up and actually died. :( But my new juicer can handle them:)

Three: I am surprised you don't notice a difference in taste. Like an orange, i taste quite a bit of bitterness. Plus it feels weird on my teeth after i drink a juice with a peel in it.

Hope this helps

Gianni

My juicer handles everything so I've never had a problem with throwing everything in there. But OMG, the orange peel just about knocked me on my butt. ICK! Nope, lemon and lime peel doesn't bother me one bit. I guess this is why when anyone asks me what to juice, I tell them it's trial and error because everyone is different. For example, I LOVE LOVE LOVE beet juice, but the first person I made it for couldn't get past one sip.

When I started juicing, I made a "juice journal" of all my recipes. That way I knew which ones I NEVER wanted to try again (tomato and orange together...holy acid reflux!). And I also knew which ones I loved. Now I pretty much throw in whatever I get in my organic fruit veggie basket from the CSA each week. There's nothing I won't juice LOL.

Gianni

I'm wanting to buy a juicer. What brand/models do you recommend? There are so many out there!
You know that's a tough question. It really depends on your budget as there are some AMAZING juicers out there but they will break your bank. I think the omega juice brand is great, they have cheap ones and expensive ones and I think you get the best bang for your buck with these.

http://www.omegajuicers.com/

I believe you can get them cheaper on amazon so pick which one you like then see if it is cheaper elsewhere.

Personally I have a $900 juicer! My first juicer was a $50 juicer but when I realized the power of juicing I decided to save up.

If you are serious about juicing and can divi up some money here is a great juicer that gives a lot of bang for its buck. http://www.omegajuicers.com/juicers/juicer-8006.html

Gianni

Thanks Gianni. I've never tried juicing. Did you find that when you first started that it upset your stomach? Just curious about the intake of a lot of fruits and veggies even through liquid form.

Gianni

Thanks Gianni. I've never tried juicing. Did you find that when you first started that it upset your stomach? Just curious about the intake of a lot of fruits and veggies even through liquid form.
You know I did find this a little bit. At first it did upset my stomach to juice but when I first started I couldn't handle the super green juices so I included more fruit. That proved to be the root of many of my belly aches while juicing. Try limiting fruit if you have that issue.

Gianni

scottsma

sweet potato,peeled,3 carrots,2 celery sticks,2 green apples and 3ins cucumber and 1ns ginger.That was todays juice.Is that adequate.? Sometimes kale or red cabbage or spinach.I've been juicing most days for 5mnths and want to be sure I'm doing the right thing.I have a banana daily also,and soft fruit when in season.

unfortunately I cant find many of teh vegetable mentioned in the list..but I am going to add other similar vegetable with same benefits in their place..so I hope I will get the same results as mentioned. I know this is going to be my favourite thread on this forum.

I take it you use each of these recipes as a meal replacement? I bought all of the ingredients for the first two recipes earlier so I will be trying them soon.

Also, when you say a ginger shot, are you juicing the ginger root and shooting that straight or mixing it in with your other recipes. That is a little confusing.

Gianni

I take it you use each of these recipes as a meal replacement?
Not always. When I do a juice fast then yes and If I make my juice in the morning then yes. But I sometimes will eat AFTER I juice. I like to keep my stomach as empty as possible before I juice but feel free to eat afterwards if you aren't doing a juice fast.

Also, when you say a ginger shot, are you juicing the ginger root and shooting that straight or mixing it in with your other recipes. That is a little confusing.
I take the shot separately but feel free to mix it in too although some people don't like the taste so shooting it separate might be better. Sorry about that, I'll elaborate.

Gianni

Not always. When I do a juice fast then yes and If I make my juice in the morning then yes. But I sometimes will eat AFTER I juice. I like to keep my stomach as empty as possible before I juice but feel free to eat afterwards if you aren't doing a juice fast.

I take the shot separately but feel free to mix it in too although some people don't like the taste so shooting it separate might be better. Sorry about that, I'll elaborate.

Gianni
Thank you, your posts on this site have been very informative.

Gianni

From my past experiences juicing, I'm usually too full to eat anything in addition to a good juice. I guess if I only made 1/4 of a recipe I would be okay.

I just made The Red Head recipe, good stuff, tasty, drinking it now.

I use a Breville jucier by the way, it didn't have a problem with sweet potatoes with the skin on.

KWalker

Watermellow fello
This juice is really only for taste and to just enjoy a juice everyone once in awhile when it is hot outside. This juice tastes great. Unfortunately it is high in sugar but remember it is natural sugar, just don't have this every day, maybe just once every 2 weeks.
Having said that, watermelon is still an amazing food with many health benefits(if organic)
Watermelon is an extreme alkalizer for the body, meaning it will raise your ph level
Watermelon also contains the highest level of antioxidant, lycopene. Lycopene is considered one of the strongest antioxidants it even beats out beta carotene and Vitamin E. It helps reduce the risk of lung, colon, breast and other cancers.

1 or 1/2 peeled lime
5+ mint leaves

This is probably so good!

Gianni

Watermellow fello
Watermelon is an extreme alkalizer for the body, meaning it will raise your ph level

1 or 1/2 peeled lime
5+ mint leaves

This is probably so good!
It really is:)

Hubby and I just bought our first juicer! Thank you so much for organizing this recipe board.

What recipe would you recommend to start with? I'm hoping to start with something really tasty for extra motivation to continue exploring the juicing world. I definitely wouldn't want our first drink to be a dud.

Also, what are your thoughts on juicing tomatoes? Is it better to avoid since the acid could cause problems? Thanks!

Gianni

Hubby and I just bought our first juicer! Thank you so much for organizing this recipe board.

What recipe would you recommend to start with? I'm hoping to start with something really tasty for extra motivation to continue exploring the juicing world. I definitely wouldn't want our first drink to be a dud.

Also, what are your thoughts on juicing tomatoes? Is it better to avoid since the acid could cause problems? Thanks!
I would try the red head first. Perfect balance of taste and nutrients:).

Tomatoes are good to juice just don't juice too many or make sure that you also are including alkaline vegetables (basically any vegetable) within that same juice to counteract the acid. I wouldn't advise having more than 1 straight tomato juice a day is all but feel free to add them to recipes:)

Gianni

Just made the Mean Green without the ginger. This stuff is dark broham, very dark. Flavor tastes how I would have expected based on what went in. ;)

KWalker

I did a red head yesterday! (hehe, that sounds sexual) I was expecting it to taste so much worse than it actually did. Until I get a juicer I'm currently using the blender I have here so if I experiment with water levels I can make it more of a juice than a slushie.

I also made another one, and I don't know how beneficial this one is but it's delicious. I used 2 large naval oranges, 1 whole lemon, and a knob of ginger root. The mix of lemon and orange was so tasty!

I'm going to experiment with some fruits, possibly today. I really want to make one including chocolate almond milk, bananas, and something else I haven't decided yet. Are there any fruits I should focus on or stay away from?

Thanks Gianni! Guess we'll be trying a Red Head soon!

KWalker, I've heard that berries don't work as well in juicers, but I haven't tried this out yet to see if it's true or not. We have used the blender for berries before, but hubby has to have the seeds strained out or it hurts the tum.

KWalker

I'm using a blender right now because I currently don't have a juicer. It took my whole orange and had no problem destroying it the other day lol

Get juicer if you can, It will be night and day difference over that blender. I love the model I use and it was like $100 (still a chunk of change, but works great, easy to clean, etc).

Green Lemonade
3-4 Apples - Fuji is good, organic
1 Lime or Lemon – I like lime (use the rind also if organic, if not organic, peel it but leave the white )
fresh peeled ginger to taste- its hot so try a 1/4- 1/2 inch depending on width
Kale – 1-4 leaves with stems, depending on size and black kale is my favorite
1-2 stalks celery – optional but good for eliminating water retention

Thanks Gianni, I am also a believer that Crohns can be cured through diet. The only juice ive made is apples, carrots and beetroot. I am new to this forum and still finding my way on it. Thanks for the recipes and the nutritional facts. :D

Crohns since: 2008
Meds: Azathiprine
Prednisones recently due to flare up and obstruction. :ymad:

When you describe a juice as a "detoxer" or a "detox" recipe, what does that mean? What toxins are being removed? From what parts of the body? What is/are the mechanism(s) of detoxification?

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
When you describe a juice as a "detoxer" or a "detox" recipe, what does that mean? What toxins are being removed? From what parts of the body? What is/are the mechanism(s) of detoxification?
Cell detoxification through a rapid influx of natural vitamins, minerals and enzymes. The cells shed their acid content and those acids are excreted via our lungs, kidneys, skin, etc....

Gianni

Great question, When I first started juicing I wondered the same thing.

Well first off juicing in general is an amazing "detox" because the vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, etc are all beneficial to the major detox organs like the liver, kidneys, skin, and lungs.

The liver has the function of filtering the blood coming from the digestive tract. So we eat toxic foods then the toxins are in our blood stream momentarily but the liver will hold on to these toxins and will turn the fat soluble toxins into water soluble ones through enzymes. Fat soluble toxins pose more of a threat because well they will stay in your body for a long period of time while water soluble toxins will be filtered by the kidneys and ultimately excreted as urine. The other more concrete toxins that could not be made into water soluble are excreted through bile produced by the liver.

The liver however is very sensitive especially in the modern world today with the influx of environmental toxins. Liver's will get sluggish fast and start accumulating a surplus of toxins. So in a way you can imagine the liver as a sponge which is constantly being squeezed and pulsed, but then it gets sluggish... so the dirt water starts to build up a little more at a time (toxins) which slows down the liver even more and more and it turns into a snowball effect. Then the sponge becomes placid and it is full of dirty water. So by giving the liver an inpouring of vitamins minerals and enzymes, it will start to soak in these nutrients and get healthier and pulse a little bit and a little bit more until all the dirty water (toxins) is out and start to work normal again.

The liver when diseased, inflamed, fatty, sluggish will start to release toxins irresponsibly and the toxins will instead be stored in our fat cells which can cause longterm health complications.

Here is a more raw way to look at it:

The liver plays several roles in detoxification: it filters the blood to remove large toxins, synthesizes and
gets rid of bile full of cholesterol and other fat-soluble toxins, and the live enzymatically eliminates unwanted
chemicals. The enzymatic process to dispose of toxins occurs in two phases: phase 1 (Oxidations) and phase 2 (Conjugation). Phase 1 neutralizes the toxin or changes the toxic chemical to form activated intermediates which
will then be neutralized by phase 2 of the enzyme system. This pathway converts a toxic chemical into a less
harmful chemical and is achieved by oxidation, reduction and hydrolysis reactions. During this process, free
radicals are produced and if there are too many it can damage the liver cells. With the help of antioxidant, it reduces
the damage caused by free radicals. One important antioxidant for neutralizing the free radicals produced in phase 1
is glutathione (GHS) is oxidized to glutathione disulfide (GSSG). This antioxidant is required for one of the key
phase 2 processes. When so many free radicals are produced from phase 1, the glutathione stops producing
oxidative stress or liver damage. The toxins are then transformed into activated intermediates; therefore the rate at
which phase 1 produces activated intermediates must be balanced by the rate at which phase 2 finishes their
processing. Phase 2 is called the conjugation pathway because the liver cells add another substance such as
cysteine, glycine, or a sulphur molecule to a toxic chemical to make it less harmful. As a result it makes the toxin
water-soluble so that it may then be excreted from the body via watery fluids such as bile or urine. There are six
phase 2 detoxification pathways:
1.Glutathione conjugation
2. Amino acid conjugation
3. Sulfation
4. Acetylation
5. Glucuronidation
These conjugation molecules join with specific enzymes to catalyze the reaction process. The liver is then able to
turn drugs, hormones, and other various toxins into substances that are secreted from the body. Read more: http://people.cornellcollege.edu/bnowakthompson/pdfs/liverDetox.pdf

As far as specific juices go: There are two types of Detox juices. What I mean by this is there are juices that will target the vitamins and minerals the liver in particular will need and then there are those that will try to achieve a high alkalinity and sulfur level.

Juices that target the liver will pertain to the above process I talked about

The alkalinity theory is a bit more complicated. Basically in a nut shell the theory is that these toxins hold a acidic ph level and your body will create fat to house these toxins.
(this goes along with the theory that it isn't fattening foods that is causing obesity issues but rather the influx of toxins). So the liver is sick, and the toxins are released into the bloodstream so your body holds on to more fat so that it can house the harmful toxins because it wants the toxins out of the bloodstream as soon as possible.

Now these acidic toxins are stored in fat cells so by giving your body Alkaline foods like vegetables, the acids will be neutralized and released and with them the fat cells will be too. So with that the liver becomes less fatty and healthier and the Ph level in your body will go down and neutralize many of the toxins.

The Alkaline theory is a bit more subjective and exactly that, a theory but it does make a bit more sense to me:) at least the fat part. Many people try to lose weight through exercise but It rarely works, in part because I think the body wants to hold on to the fat to protect you from the toxins it has encapsulated.

The sulphur aspect is more concrete and I'll let you read about it here :http://www.livestrong.com/article/317807-sulphur-detox/

Typically Juice Detox recipes will include a high alkaline through leafy greens while incorporating high sulfur produce like Onions and Garlic. Of course the leafy greens also play a double role by including very helpful vitamins to keep the detox organs healthy and happy.

Gianni

Perhaps I overlooked something but..Did any of theses posts cover
1) what and when to PEEL and not to PEEL?
2) water, no water added?

What do you think about the as-seen-on-tv NutriBullet?

Gianni

Perhaps I overlooked something but..Did any of theses posts cover
1) what and when to PEEL and not to PEEL?
2) water, no water added?

What do you think about the as-seen-on-tv NutriBullet?
I peel the thick skinned fruits like lemons and oranges but apples and such I leave unpeeled. Some people won't even unpeel their lemons and oranges so it is really up to you but I will warn you some juices can't handle the peels of the oranges and lemons. My first juicer couldn't handle them and actually broken when I put a lemon skin in.

No water added: Just dilutes digestion.

Gianni

As for the Nutribullet: I had never heard of it before so I looked it up and was surprised to see that it is David Wolfe product. I generally enjoy what he has to say but sometimes he seems like a sell out to me.

So basically the main difference here between juicing and nutribullet is that it takes the pulp also and makes it into a juicing consistency... not a smoothie consistency but a juicing one.

Honestly this just seems like a rebranding marketing tool to me. Let's take gatorade and call it Vitamin Water type of thing.

In big green letters on the front page it says "600 RPM's" Which to a consumer might seem superior to other blenders and juicers but really you want slower RPm's because nutrients can and will be damaged especially enzymes and antioxidants. My juicer, for example, rotates at just 83 RPM. IT slowly presses and squeezes the pulp so it gets a 1 time first press and won't damage the nutrients.

It is an interesting theory... extracting the nutrients but I doubt it works. I'd love to see some comparative studies pop up.

It may be worth a try, If you decide to go with the nutribullet, let us know how you like it:)

Gianni

scottsma

Have just enjoyed the juice of 2 carrots,2apples,2celery sticks,1peeled beet and 2 handfuls of spinach.Really miss it if I miss a day.

Thanks for all the great recipes! I just love juicing. My wife and I saw Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead on Netflix. The Aussie businessman that went on a juice fast.
And the truck driver that he helped inspire and possibly help him save his own life. Great stuff!

I am a juicing madman now! Just like a mad scientist of good food!

I've just tried this recipe this morning:
1 zucchini squash
1 cucumber
3 carrots
1 apple
1 pear
2 handfuls of pomegranate seeds
3 stalks celery
2 handfuls of cut mango
2 handfuls of regular parsley

Woah! Killer drink to wake up to after my morning 30 minute walk!

Keeps the little lady happy too!

Have fun!

Carl

This is making a real difference in my life.

So far my favorite recipe is similar to the red head.
6-7 carrots
1 pear
1 beet (medium size) plus tops
1/2 (large) sweet potato

I've also added brocoli but that ruined the taste for me. A thumb of ginger made it strange but still drinkable.

scottsma

That's similar to my usual juice,although I do experiment often.I love my juices although I have noticed people crossing the street when they see me coming..........could be I'm becoming a Juicing bore.Well there's worse things eh ?

I bought myself an expensive Juicer in December. Used it four times... typical of me. It's such a hassle to clean and prepare the vegetables that I never want to take it out. Which is a shame because I actually had a few good juices!

I took a few chemistry courses at McGill a few years ago, including one on food. The whole semester was riveting, and I distinctly remember reading literature for an exam on the detoxing programs and no evidence could be found to prove their claims. This was 2009 or 2010. Perhaps things changed.

Juicing is still an amazing source of vitamin though.

Last edited:
I bought myself an expensive Juicer in December. Used it four times... typical of me. It's such a hassle to clean and prepare the vegetables that I never want to take it out.
You're not alone in that--which is the very reason it pays to shop the rummage sales :ysmile:

scottsma

Mine stays on the work top and has 5 parts.Wash veg,chop,juice.Empty fibre in recycled bag,rinse parts,drain......Enjoy Juice.I give it a good hot soapy wash every couple of days.When I first started I also found it such a chore,but it has become second nature.

I had another attempt at the watermellow fellow today as I had half a melon left over.. although this time I tried to make it from memory and for some reason put 3 Fuji apples in!

It was ridiculously sweet, so I watered it down a little, which then made a very refreshing drink!

Okay Question: Some of the recipes call for kale and swiss chard, my only concern....do these work as a laxative, should I be home soon after drinking them?? Im kinda new to Crohns soo is it the ruffage that makes you "go" ??

Also thanks you for clarifying the ginger shot as a separate!! I added it to mu juices and the taste was real odd I couldn't finish the juice!!!

That is sometimes the case!! I just dont want to have to go more than my above average usual LOL!!! Okay GREAT!! Im going to start with the red head in the morning! Im going to try a juice a day! Ive been having some tenderness and inflammation even while on my medicine soo I need to change something!!

Okay Question: Some of the recipes call for kale and swiss chard, my only concern....do these work as a laxative, should I be home soon after drinking them?? Im kinda new to Crohns soo is it the ruffage that makes you "go" ??
I was told to avoid the ruffage because of the narrowing in my bowel, this would mean the fibre could get stuck and cause a blockage

Juicing removes the fibre, or a lot of it so you still get the good stuff from the fruit and veg, but leave the fibre behind

I have been loving all the great recipes posted on here. Juicing has definitely been helping me A LOT. So thanks for all these great ideas. I try to stay clear of fruits, but i'll mix it up once in a while especially when i feel good. I don't have a cool name for this one and i'm not sure how beneficial nutritiously it is, but i've been enjoying it every now and then and particularly enjoy it in the morning. Here it is:

4 oranges
4 kiwis
3-4 sticks of kale (leaves and all)

While i'm here, anyone have any thoughts on juicing kiwis? Haven't found much about it. The seeds worried me at first, but realized that they really don't come through the juicer... Thanks all and hope juicing is helping you guys as much as it is for me.

scottsma

I think you should just enjoy experimenting.Your juice sounds good and I will try it.I usually stick to juicing veggies as I feel I get more nutrients from them.Lots of people blend fruits and have smoothies as well as juicing veggies.I do juice apples though,to add sweetness.Enjoy.

If someone was just beginning juicing, should they start with a detoxer? Or start with regular juice recipe? Thanks! :)
I don't know about that. The first few days in a detoxing diet can make healthy people feel a little nauseated, along with causing pain and diarrhea, side effects which could become severely intensified for someone with crohns. Until you know how your body is going to react, it might be wise to take it slow in the beginning.

scottsma

I always use carrots as a base juice and today I Juiced 3 carrots,2 apples and 1 pear.Usually I juice beetroot,sweet potato (peeled)celery,cucumber,kale,spinach,tomatoes and whatever takes my fancy.I hope you enjoy experimenting.

The Swamp Water Special

3-4 leaves kale or spinich
1 cucumber
1 apple
2-3 carrots
2 stalks of celery
handful of parsley
1 lemon (peeled)
1/2 inch piece of ginger

Kale will make the juice a murkier green color, hence the name Swamp Water Special. Using spinich wil give the juice a greener color.