• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just a Bag and Baseplate?

Is anyone able to put a bag on without using stomahesive (or any other powders) or Cavilon (or any other barrier wipes)?

I ask this because I tried a convex bag the other day and went straight to work. BAD idea. So not only do I think my baseplate didn't have time to really seal to the skin before I put on my work pants with belt but I think the belt made the base plate move around a lot. The convex flange seemed a lot thicker and so it really moved with my belt over it. So it started leaking and I had to change at work. Welllllll I failed to have any powder or Cavilon with me and so I just put on a bag.

Worst day ever! I got really bad skin burns from stool and I ended up having to change my bag again the next day from a leak. Ever since then I've had a hard time with bag adhesiveness (I think with the addition of Eakin Slims I've finally gotten the skin issues under control).

Today I did a change before I needed to just to make sure I stave off any leaking and potential skin issues. The skin is still red, but very shiny and no longer weepy so I think its fixing itself. I used powder, Cavilon, powder, Cavilon, and then on top of all that I put on an Eakin Slim. THEN I put on some Stoma paste in between the seals, my skin, and the baseplate so nothing leaks between anything for a while (my stoma is flush... so the paste like a wall that seals up the edge of the seals, skin, and flange).

Anyways, anyone able to wear a bag with nothing else?

I could wear just the bag, but if I did I'd only get a couple days of weartime before it started leaking. I don't use the paste at all. Instead, I use the Eakin Cohesive Seals (large) over the stoma, then place my bag with the convex wafer over it. If I feel I need a little more support, I use paper tape around the edges (usually, where my scar is). I routinely get a week of weartime. Protective wipes are good and sometimes I'll use that on the skin first, or if the skin is irritated I'll use the stomahesive powder instead.

Terriernut

With the issues you are having, I wouldn't go without cavilon again.

A problem I had when I first started out with Stan was not cleaning off the adhesive remover well enough. Now, most of the time when I change, I am in the shower with no bag on to make sure the area is clean first. And a good dry skin as well.

Sorry you are having such an issue with adhesiveness! One thing I did find is that the ring I was using became too thick for me and the stool went under it and caused me major leaks. It got better when I switched to a thinner seal.

Nyx

I use only a bag and flange...but my stool is so hard and is very rarely liquidy so I don't worry about leaks at all. The only issues I have are with sweat in the summer. But even then, I can get 5 days out of my appliance. I also hold my flange on for at least 2 minutes (pressing around the stoma especially), just to make sure I have a really good seal.

I can't go without some sort of skin barrier and strip paste. Without the skin barrier (wipes), I react real fast from the adhesive of the baseplate. Wtihout the strip paste, I have leaks and melt the baseplate in a day.

I've never used anything like a paste etc. I think it depends on what make bag you have though. I wear dansac which I find are brilliant but once I tried a convex pelican bag and it literally fell off me by the morning.

Have you tried other makes?

Yes. I only needed prep wipes and small amount of paste when I first had my surgery. But, I was very thin and had no fat on my body. Plus, there where no Eaken Seals, or flexible wafer of any kind back then. As I got older and put some weight on I had to use more and more paste. I was so happy when they finally came out with the Eaken Seals and the Flexible Wafers, they make life so much easier.

I am sure you can get by with out a bunch of paste or an Eaken Seal, but I personally wouldn't recommended it for all the reasons you stated as "worst day ever" I can't even tell you how many days I have had like that, over time you just learn not to let it bring you down. But, when it happens, it still sucks just the same.

Biggest thing to remember when using the seals and paste is to really push it all tight against your skin around the stoma. It can be painful some times, especially if you burned the skin, but it will hold much tighter when you do this.

I have never worn a belt or tie on my stoma. And I only use the powder to fill in around my stoma when I want to squeeze more time out of my wafer.

Hope this helps.

Peace and love.

ps. I have had my budy (ileostomy) with me for more than 25 years. So, I know a little bit about them.

I don't use anything other than the bag (one-piece) itself. Occasionally I put some micropore around the edges if I feel that I am getting close to changing, but don't have the time/can't be bothered (late at night when I'm tired). I have a retracted stoma so use a deep convexity bag by Coloplast and it usually lasts 3 to 5 days. Here in Australia we can get up to 30 bags a month, so there isn't any urgency about making them last.

I have a lot of leakage problems,but,if possible stay lying down for about an hour or so to make sure you give yourself plenty of time for adhesive to dry well.I hope this helps you a little.

I have a lot of leakage problems,but,if possible stay lying down for about an hour or so to make sure you give yourself plenty of time for adhesive to dry well.I hope this helps you a little.

Try using a hair dryer to dry out the skin frist before putting the bag on. May want to also use the hair dryer to warm up the wafer a bit. I don't noraally do this since I don't have any problems just using powder, BUT if I was having problems and the powder didn't seem to help too much, I'd certainly try the hairdryer approach. Good Luck!

Ok so I used the hair dryer method and its awesome. That coupled with a new bag sample I tried (Coloplast convex 2 piece mechanical coupling) I've been able to get out of my slump.

I got sick after Christmas with a stomach bug and I had big D. I was blowing through bags 3 times a day. After all was said and done I had a super ouchy almost bleeding bright red thick ring around my stoma from output hitting the skin.

I FINALLY found a quiet output time and all I had left were some samples so I tried the convex bag by Coloplast and it lasted 3 days!!! I was sooo excited. I changed it again today just to be sure it wouldn't leak overnight and cause more irritation. I'm finally healing!

Anyways I coupled this bag with the Brava Paste Strips and used the hair dryer on it and it worked wonders. Plus the Coloplast bag leaves practically no adhesive residue on the skin after removal.

I'm asking for more samples and I hope they send them cause I just received my new shipment of Hollister and I doubt I can exchange them for Coloplast through insurance.

That's terrific news! :applause: At last you have found something that works for you. :biggrin:

I, too, use Coloplast convex (although I use one-piece) and the hairdryer method.

If you explain to Coloplast they might send you some more to keep you going, especially as it'll mean another satisfied customer for them.

I use the coloplast convex 2 piece "click" bags and love them! I get about 3 days out of them too, but that's because of my stupid downward pointing stoma.
I'm so glad you've found something you're happy with!
And yes, the hairdryer method is brilliant.

annawato

Staff member
Hi Katie sue, glad to hear you got your problems sorted out. Its impossible once you get that weepy skin to get anything to stick until it heals. Something I found good was using mercurocrome. It really helped heal and dry out the skin quickly. Something to think about if the problem reoccurs anyway. The nurse who told me about it said not to use too often cos of the mercury in it but once in a while is fine. I think Jaano said she had success with it too and also with betadine wipes.
:heart: Anna

Oh yes forgot to add that I always use barrier wipes just to be on the safe side. I think the skin does toughen up over time, 6 weeks post op I'm already finding that leakages don't inflame the skin as much as they did in the first weeks, or maybe my output is less acidic as I'm remembering to take the rabeprazole. Touchwood. Hopefully I wont be crying tomorrow about raw skin!