• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just a derbygirl with Crohn's...

Here is a little about me...I might not have spelled correctly, please forgive me for that.

When I was 17, I gained 100 unexplained pounds. I was very active in sports, Softball, track, volleyball, swimming. When I was 21 I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. Went on meds, lost 65 pounds. When I was 22 I had my first and only child and the Dr's said my hormones changed and I no longer have an issue with my thyroid. Fast forward 3 years after being off meds...I gained back 85 pounds. I started to have diarreah daily. This went on for 2 years (I was embarassed to talk about it). Had enough... went to the Dr. and she said I had IBS and to change my diet. (I am stubborn and refused to accept this) Started doing research and basically gave up...Fast forward 2 more years...still having diarreah... Have lost about 90 pounds. I am the smallest I had been since I was 17. Was loving life but still sick every day. Started to get light headed when standing up. Memory loss, confusion, weak, tired...etc. Went back to the Dr. and she wanted to test for MS and Crohns...These scared the living hell out of me so I didn't go back. In my mind, I was going to hit my goal weight before getting one of those diagnoses that would put me on medication to make me fat AGAIN. (I know, so stupid). 2 years later, I move to Oklahoma after putting back on 70 pounds. I join RollerDerby. I LOVE IT. I get the best work out of my life. Work more muscles in my body than I can get at a gym and I get the friendship and sisterhood of 60 other strong independant women. YET...I still have diarreah, lightheadedness, confusion, etc. I finally said enough is enough...this is effecting how I play. I found a Dr. that was recommended by a derby sister. I went through all of the above with her...she runs a million blood tests...low b12, low d, low albumin...low iron....She said I had the vitamin levels of a starving ethiopian except I way 250 lbs. HUH? She orders more tests, not lupus, no markers for MS...she wants an upper and lower done and an ultrasound. I do the ultrasound, nothing. I go for the U&L and the Dr doesn't even wait for pathology and says it looks like Crohn's. Along with Acid Reflux, Polyups and internal hemmoroids. YAY Me! I am a mess on the inside.

Okay so since pathology came back and confirmed all of this....I finally have my diagnosis. NOW What? I start Pentasa 3x a day. some crap for acid reflux, and b12. I feel great for the first 2 weeks. For the first time in 7 years YES 7, I had a normal Bowel movement. I missed 2 days of my meds. I wake up to a flare (mind you, I didn't know what a flare meant at this point). I feel like crap. Vomiting, diarreah alternating with constipation, aches and pains, low fever, everything on the list of symptoms you could have, I did. I take my meds and have been consistantly for 2 months and it hasn't gotten any better. So this week I made the decision, I have to get this in order. I have missed so many practices for not feeling good. I changed my diet. I started taking b12, d, iron, magnesium, potassium, biotin, fish oil, glucosamin and vitamin e, along with my meds. Finally today, I feel better. I feel more energy. Crohn's will not defeat me.

Astra

Hi Taryn
and welcome

Once you get genned up on this disease you will find that diet alone will not stop this, it can reduce symptoms, but not inflammation. Vomiting is not normal, there is obviously something wrong, maybe narrowing, a blockage or obstruction. This needs to be investigated further. And, if Pentasa is your only med, this alone will not reduce inflammation. Pentasa is a maintenance med, to keep further relapses away. But you have to get the inflammation under control first.
Keep your eye on your temp, and give your doc a ring, maybe steroids are what you need right now.
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Thanks Joan, I have a Dr. appointment again next week to discuss how I am doing on the meds. Fingers crossed that I can get this more under control.

Yay, derby! I'm still on the road to diagnosis myself (just got over the "This is just IBS" hump myself) so don't have much advice to offer yet. My sister just got drafted to a team this month in one of the Seattle derby leagues! I'm really, really jealous. With my arthritis, contact sports are not a good fit. :(

Yay, derby! I'm still on the road to diagnosis myself (just got over the "This is just IBS" hump myself) so don't have much advice to offer yet. My sister just got drafted to a team this month in one of the Seattle derby leagues! I'm really, really jealous. With my arthritis, contact sports are not a good fit. :(
Oooh what league? I'm a derby girl in Seattle with Crohn's. There are definitely frustrating days where I am unable to keep up with my peers (or people twice my age). Not because I am not as fast as them, but because I'm being held back by my conditions. But I keep trying.

Thanks Dies...I play for Oklahoma City Roller Derby. Things are definately getting better. I was able to complete 2 full practices last week which is huge right now for me. I am hoping to do 3 of the 4 this week. I had to cancel my Dr. appt because of money restraints but have it rescheduled for after payday so I dont spend it. LOL. My aunt just moved to Seattle. She loves it there. I told her to go check out one of your games. Who do you play for and I will let her know. Also if you want, email me your schedule and I will send it to her. sassymama910@yahoo.com.

Oooh what league? I'm a derby girl in Seattle with Crohn's. There are definitely frustrating days where I am unable to keep up with my peers (or people twice my age). Not because I am not as fast as them, but because I'm being held back by my conditions. But I keep trying.
Dockyard Derby Dames. Y tu? She's on the Trampires.

Ive just started training to be a derby girl :)

Really hope you find out what is wrong soon, as a couple of ppl have said, Pentesa is just a maintenence drug, you need something like a steriod to beat the inflammation, then to be on maintenence drugs.

Dockyard Derby Dames. Y tu? She's on the Trampires.
Right now I'm skating with a rec league. I considered trying out for Dockyard, but Tacoma is so far awaaaay... That's awesome though. I will cheer for the Trampires when I go to a DY bout! :)