• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just a little update :)

just a little update :)

I didn't really know where to put this, but I figured it was about time for an update!

History-Dx CD 10 years ago, v.little problem since then, the odd small dose of pred, but nothing major.

I was ill in december 2010 and the GP put me on pred 30mg. The consultant upped this to 40mg in January and a week later admitted me for 400mg IVs. This seemed to do the trick, but 2 weeks later I was in again. They could find little evidence of active CD and all my bloods were ok. Since then I have been weak and uncapable, permanently tired and just not right. I assumed down to inability to absorb.

I'm now onto consultant number 5 and I have answers :)
Apparently the IVs were at such a high dose-way above recommended for my body size and way more than necessary to treat a (relatively) moderate flare-that they have caused some damage within my body. He thinks my second admission was a reaction to the steroid rather than CD related. The upshot is, my muscle enzymes have been disabled and I have possible ME-certainly all the Sx of ME-just waiting for the results.

So I guess it's good I FINALLY have an answer, but also pretty bad that I'm in this situation due to inappropriate treatment.

A question- I've an appointment next week with the Doc who gave me the 400mg . . . do I go? What do I say? Should I take it further?

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
I am glad you got some answers, though not ideal. I certainly would not go back to the doctor who messed up. Also, I think I'd give him a piece of my mind. And if there is proof that an overdose of IV steroids caused permanent damage, I'd even take legal action.