• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just an introduction from Australia

Hi. Im Kat, Im almost 34 years old and I just found out I have Crohns. I was diagnosed by colonoscope (which I was completely mortified about and terrified of!!) three weeks ago. But now knowing... Ive had it for years. I can't pinpoint when it all really started because; it was I think, gradual onset... but memories resurface of the times the Ive been to the dr, for months in succession, and (without a colonoscope) never had an answer. The last few weeks have been spent putting on a brave face, curled up in bed, doped on the strongest painkillers and Still struggling to get through the pain, and thinking/remembering.
Im not sure if its lucky or not, but Ive had so many years in remission up til now where I felt completely normal, fit and healthy! For that reason, right now, I feel completely lost with the diagnosis. I cant eat most of the things Ive always loved. Things my diet revolved around. Like roast pork. Crackling. Bacon. (CRY!!) steak. Sweets. COFFEE!! Ive smoked Ive drank when I wanted to and even done ellicit drugs when I felt like partying. Like most people im sure. Now... Even fresh fruits and vegetables are too much for my system, while coming off the flare that put me in hospital and finally resulted in the answer. I lay awake most nights in pain, waiting for the liquid heat |(literaly like lava) to flood my body and incite a sprint to the loo. If I occassionally am able to fart without shitting brown water its a miracle! I actually get excited and happy. Like wtf.
When I went into emergency for the second time in several weeks I was malnourished (having lost over 15kg in two wks from a body that didnt really have it to lose), tachiacardic and in unbearable pain. As white as the sheets I lay in, I coudnt function as a mum of my three children, I could barely think past getting a few ml of hydrolite down. All of this I put down to a bad gastro that just wouldnt go away. Yes. In hindsight, it was stupidity, but I just couldnt leave my kids. Not for what I (for some reason) kept thinking was a just a "tummy pain" and "I was a sook and it'll go away like it always has"" Til my mum finally cracked up and forced me to hospital.

So for now thats it , happy to have to have found this forum but dont really know how active \ill be as Im pretty depressed right now and just focusing on mothering with the added burdens. But in saying that, |Im open always to discussion.

Xxx Kat