• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just another UC Story...

Since February of last year, I had been suffering from Rectal Bleeding. For months me and my mother believed that it was hemorrhoids since the blood was always fresh and I didn't actually feel off in my gut either, at least until late may-early June. It was then that me and my mother finally went to see a Surgeon to have a colonoscopy scheduled for July of that year. The colonoscopy came and went and I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. Though I have been on 2 Mezavant twice a day and bleeding has been reduced as a result, I still felt like shit, having had pain in my left side and just feeling off, wishing to stay around the house more than I do going any place else. I can only handle 1 Iron pill a day since 2 gives me acid reflux and my blood count isn't as high as it should be, even if I overall feel okay with just taking 1 (i'm looking into Iron Injections instead). I have also lost a number of pounds as well but I believe this is also partially due to me cut down/out foods such as those with gluten in them like Pasta which I love so much even if I can't say such foods affect me adversely but I do anyway since hearing about the SCD and similar diets (I even have a copy of "Breaking the Vicious Cycle") and how it's benefited many people with what I have and then some. I recently saw a dietitian because of my weight loss and she recommended me not to go on with the SCD and that though complex carbohydrates such as anything whole-wheat during a flare-up period are bad to have, I need them anyway in order to put on weight since the way I've been eating could be considered a starvation diet. She stated that even though the diet may work for some people, it won't work for everyone and that unless there are foods which I can't tolerate, I should still consume them if I want and or substitute them with just as good alternatives (ie I drink Almond Milk instead of the regular kind). However she came off as a b#$%h to me the way her personality was, thinking she knew it all the way she scoffed the book since she's a dietitian you see, not a Biochemist like Elaine Gottschall was so f-her is all I can say since according to her, anyone can write a book with info which could be perceived as misleading. As of mid-March, though, I haven't had pain anymore on my left side and though my blood count was in the 80's because I went down to one Iron instead of taking 2 (my bleeding even almost virtually subsided entirely until April), I felt more energetic and went at least 3-5 times a day instead of the max prior to that being more 5-8ish, wanting to simply get outside, even bringing myself to enjoy a green beer on St. Patties day for the hell of it even if it is Illegal on the diet!

I have been doing probiotics since February of this year (4 billion Lactobacillus Acidophilus daily) but I dunno if I should increase my intake of it or not since it doesn't seem to be doing much IMO.

I have also been getting 2000 IU of Vitamin D since January since I found out through research that there is a correlation between Vitamin D Deficiency and IBDs such as Ulcerative Colitis and I had known I was deficient in such a thing since October of 2011 but I didn't bother with supplementation since I didn't know any better, sadly. I've been taking it in pill form but wonder if I should go to drops or up my intake to 4000 a day since I don't know if it's making much of a difference either.

What's weird with my Colitis though is that I never actually had diarrhea only. Eversince the diagnosis, I would still have solid stools even if they were miniscule in the amounts I went, even before I started following the SCD partially. Even during the last week of April, when my bowel movements increased to every half-hour (I dunno if it was just die-off or a flare-up, though, since a number of symptoms I had matched up with a die-off reaction), the stools themselves still had solidity to them, even if they were miniscule in the amounts I went.

So what do you guys think I should do? I mean I thought that cutting down on/out the complex carbs was making a difference but I've been losing weight, as well.

Thank You.

PS. Are Iron injections REALLY that painful? Everyone keeps telling me this but I don't believe it.

PSS. Honey is a monosaccharide, not a disaccharide but the Dietitian said there was no difference when I argued with her since it's all sugar when I mentioned using it as a substitute to the actual stuff since it's SCD legal (I prefer it nowadays anyway). Was she wrong or was I wrong?

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have already done a lot of research and are doing a great job of trying to take care of yourself.

There are some who do really well on that diet and it works for them. If it is helping you, that is great. Maybe there are other ways you can get your extra protein, or healthy calories your body needs.

Often losing weight is also a sign that your body isnt absorbing the necessary nutrients.

With the iron, my daughter takes the centrum with iron and has had iron infusions. I am not sure about the shots. Hopefully someone else can help you with that.

It took my daughter several months of taking iron after she finally stopped bleeding to get her iron levels up too. If you are not bleeding, maybe your body is not absorbing the iron, which happens sometimes with IBD. How long has it been since you stopped bleeding?

I believe strongly in the Probiotics, and my daughter also takes the Acidophillus tablets. But I have heard that you have to keep a balance of Probiotics and it is good to take a variety. That is something to look into as well.

The thing is though is that I may not even have trouble with many of the forbidden foods on diets such as SCD. I'm simply avoiding them where I can since I fear it may have negative consequences even when they may not since at this point I can't say that I have a problem eating Pasta which is one of my favourite foods but I've been avoiding it/cutting back on it out of fear.

When it comes to the weight loss though, you would think it would be beneficial for someone short as me (4'8ish and 96lb since Monday when I saw the Dietitian) but my MD is concerned for my well being and that's why I ended up seeing a Dietitian in the first place. I mean, I felt ok with the weight I've lost since I was much heavier at one point.

I'm still bleeding but the amounts are miniscule. Hell, I even thought that I had some Tenesmus a few weeks ago since it seemed when I strained since Tenesmus tricks you the way it does in how it makes you think you have to go when you don't or just need to go a it, I bled a bit but when I didn't strain, I didn't bleed or bleed much at all.

Maybe I will look into more probiotics since Lactobacillus Acidophilus is good mainly for the small intestine, not the Colon for us Colitis sufferers.

I know that when my daughter is not flaring, she eats everything.
We take her off of lactose when she is flaring, but now she can have it just fine.

Even when she is flaring, the carbs do not seem to bother her. The only thing is that more in means more out, which can hurt during a flare. the low residue diet can help with that. Also, there are some on here that find juicing helps them as well. You can find some great recipes and good tips from other with UC.

There is a member on here named Gianni who actually has juicing weeks that everyone does it together. You can find his name on the members list if you are interested.
I hope to have my daughter do it as well someday.

I hope you find all that works for you and get everything under control. No one knows what works for their better than themselves.

I would love to say that if everyone gets on Remicade, takes iron and probiotics that they will be symptom free as my daughter is right now, but it is so different for everyone. This disease is so unpredictable, we are just enjoying the time we have right now with her feeling good for the first time since she was diagnosed.

let me know how your juicing goes if you get back on that again.