• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just been diagonsed with crohns x

just been diagonsed with crohns x

hi my name is sandra im 54 married with 3 kids all grown up, was diagonosed with crohns last month, been suffering a while and my doc thought maybe ibs,in out of hospital twice and sent home, still none the wiser, then i went to see gastro and they kept me in and was in for 2 weeks and they told me wot it was after a few tests, am on modulen and will be on this till 1st dec, so no food at all just this , doing very well on it all symtoms have gone and im wandering is this just too good to be true, cant praise the gastro team enough they were fantastic with me, crohns runs in my family my brother and neice have it, started medication last week for it as well, think im still in shock as couldnt belive that at my age i got this, but then the docs said it can strike at any age,would love to hear from any fellow sufferes,all i can do is keep smiling xx

Jessi

Hi and welcome to the family, Sandra! So sorry that you're suffering, but I'm really happy for you that the doc was able to diagnose. You sound like you have a wonderful attitude. Keep it up! You're very strong.

Modulen should help you feel better and get nourished, but there will be plenty of hard times when you miss solid food like crazy! We'll be here for you. :hug:

What medication did your GI put you on?

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Sandra :welcome:. Yes, I am in your age bracket too and most of my sibs (5 of us) have a form of IBD and IBD, Gerd..uncles have/had IBD and one passed away at 49 from intestinal cancer. Like you say, basically all you can do is smile. Of all of us, my mother has no IBD issues at all, just overweight and cholesterol problems. She knows I am in pain here and there and have to "live with it" she says "How do you live with pain everyday".. have no choice until there is a cure. God help my mother (76) who ends up incapcitated, NO one truly understands like we do. Glad you joined our community.

You are right age has no discrimmination to this disease...:yfaint:

Hi Sandra,

I see you are from my neck of the woods. Are you in Fazak hosp? I was only diagnosed last december and I was 47! I was amazed that I could get Crohn's at that age. At least our kids are grown up. I feel sorry for the younger ones who are starting their families.

Hope you stay well,

Kaz xxx

Hi and welcome to the family, Sandra! So sorry that you're suffering, but I'm really happy for you that the doc was able to diagnose. You sound like you have a wonderful attitude. Keep it up! You're very strong.

Modulen should help you feel better and get nourished, but there will be plenty of hard times when you miss solid food like crazy! We'll be here for you. :hug:

What medication did your GI put you on?
thanks for your message jessi, have started azathioprine 2mg to start , yea there have been times when i really fancy something, but hey gotta be good and keep takin the modulen cos its doin me good,went to my brothers weddin on sat and took my shakes with me, and done really well as they all sat there and fed their faces .hope you are ok hope to speak soon .love and xxxxx

Hi Sandra,

I see you are from my neck of the woods. Are you in Fazak hosp? I was only diagnosed last december and I was 47! I was amazed that I could get Crohn's at that age. At least our kids are grown up. I feel sorry for the younger ones who are starting their families.

Hope you stay well,

Kaz xxx
hi kaz, thanks for the message, no i was countess of chester hospital ,chester,im just glad my kids are grown up as i dont think i would of coped with this if they had been little, hope you are ok take care

sandra xxxx

I'm ok thanks. I feel like I had good care at Fazak. They just couldn't stop the disease in my colon. Apparently I am one of the people that fails to respond to treatment (tried Azathioprine, 6MP, Methotrexate, Infliximab, plus others) so I ended up having the surgery. Even more of a shock! I was on modulen for a time too. I found it hard going. But I was very weak at that point. Glad you are having more success. Take Care xxx

I'm ok thanks. I feel like I had good care at Fazak. They just couldn't stop the disease in my colon. Apparently I am one of the people that fails to respond to treatment (tried Azathioprine, 6MP, Methotrexate, Infliximab, plus others) so I ended up having the surgery. Even more of a shock! I was on modulen for a time too. I found it hard going. But I was very weak at that point. Glad you are having more success. Take Care xxx
hiya, i had this for 6months before they got to the bottom of wot was wrong with me, been many a time to faz hospital my sister in law was in and of there with crohns, you have been through it havent you,dont know about you but it is very scary,i know im going to be scared to eat, but it will have to be done cant stay on mdulen for the rest of me life can i ha ha, lovely talkin to you xx

Hi Sandra :welcome:. Yes, I am in your age bracket too and most of my sibs (5 of us) have a form of IBD and IBD, Gerd..uncles have/had IBD and one passed away at 49 from intestinal cancer. Like you say, basically all you can do is smile. Of all of us, my mother has no IBD issues at all, just overweight and cholesterol problems. She knows I am in pain here and there and have to "live with it" she says "How do you live with pain everyday".. have no choice until there is a cure. God help my mother (76) who ends up incapcitated, NO one truly understands like we do. Glad you joined our community.

You are right age has no discrimmination to this disease...:yfaint:
ah lovely hearing from you, it does me good to have someone to discuss this illness with, i know i have my brother who has it two, but he has had it for 32 years and different meds and all that, so it does me good to have someone x you take care xx

I wonder if your sister in law was with the same consultant as me. Strange this we can't really ask questions that are too personal on this forum lol. I wonder where u are living and stuff (but I am not asking dont worry). I am still reeling after all that's happened. I can't quite believe it and I feel sort of unsure of myself now. Had to leave my job -Ive always worked - and I feel like I have no identity now. I'm sorry it is in your family but at least you have an idea of what it is all about. I had bearly heard of Crohn's when I got the diagnosis. I am probably going to have another op soon and I am terrified now I know what it is all about :eek:.

Take it easy and slowly taking food back. Low residue till you are very sure. Hopefully you will get better advice than I did!

Kaz xxx

Hi Sandra

I was first diagnosed at age 69 last year. Just waiting for an op as it is my small bowel. A lot of pain and loose bowels but hopefully the NHS will come good.

Sheila
XXX

I wonder if your sister in law was with the same consultant as me. Strange this we can't really ask questions that are too personal on this forum lol. I wonder where u are living and stuff (but I am not asking dont worry). I am still reeling after all that's happened. I can't quite believe it and I feel sort of unsure of myself now. Had to leave my job -Ive always worked - and I feel like I have no identity now. I'm sorry it is in your family but at least you have an idea of what it is all about. I had bearly heard of Crohn's when I got the diagnosis. I am probably going to have another op soon and I am terrified now I know what it is all about :eek:.

Take it easy and slowly taking food back. Low residue till you are very sure. Hopefully you will get better advice than I did!

Kaz xxx
hi kaz, my doctor kept sending me into hospital and they just said i had obstruction due to havin few ops on my stomach, c.section and appendix,scar, which caused adheshions, no follow up when they sent me home, then the pains started again and i stopped eating ,then it just got worse and worse, she then sent me back in ,spent the day in a an e and they deceided yes she constipated so given an enamea and sent home, my doc was goin mad ,but she had organised an appointment with the gastro team at the hospital, saw a young lady doc, and she then decided i needed to be kept in from clinic, she was my savior ,and had c.t. scan that nite, she wouldnt let me go home till she knew wot was wrong with me, have lost 2stone 8llb, and lost 3and half pound since been home, wot a way to lose weight ,funny thing is everyone says even thou been ill i look really well, well i feel like tellin them i dont feel it ha ha, there was mention of op, but treating it with the med and the modulen, sorry if im offloading on you, anyway hope you get sorted soon, and that they look after you. take care hugs to you from sandra xxx

Hi Sandra

I was first diagnosed at age 69 last year. Just waiting for an op as it is my small bowel. A lot of pain and loose bowels but hopefully the NHS will come good.

Sheila
XXX
hi sheila, hope all goes well with your op, i cant fault my gastro team at my hospital, they have been fantastic and reassured me , well to a certain degree they have, take care

sandra
xxxxx

Welcome to the forum it is nice to have you here!
thank you ,not been long diagnosed with c.d. and found it very scary, its good to find so many people also suffering with it and found this site to be helpful ,all my worries seem to be answered through going on here,its been a godsend

thanks again

sandra

Hi again Sandra,

Sorry, only just saw your response. I get lost quicky on this forum. Hope things are still going well. I lost about 3 stone too, but I had it to lose! I've put a stone back on but seem to have stablised. I can't get rid of the joint pain and I have had clots in my lungs too. It all only started a year ago and has snowballed.

I would tell anyone not to be afraid of an ileostomy though. It is so fantastic never to have to worry about finding a loo. I have had no problems, I don't even think about it most of the time. I would never have dreamt I would have accepted something like this, but I feel lucky as it has literally saved my life.

Keep up the good work,

Love Kaz xxx :hug:

Hi again Sandra,

Sorry, only just saw your response. I get lost quicky on this forum. Hope things are still going well. I lost about 3 stone too, but I had it to lose! I've put a stone back on but seem to have stablised. I can't get rid of the joint pain and I have had clots in my lungs too. It all only started a year ago and has snowballed.

I would tell anyone not to be afraid of an ileostomy though. It is so fantastic never to have to worry about finding a loo. I have had no problems, I don't even think about it most of the time. I would never have dreamt I would have accepted something like this, but I feel lucky as it has literally saved my life.

Keep up the good work,

Love Kaz xxx :hug:
hi kaz, yea i get a bit lost on here meself being new to this ha ha, hope you are keeping well, im off to the hospital tomorrow, just to get checked, keep thinkin im sittin on something and cant get comfy when i do sit down my doc said it proba ely bone that i havent felt for years wot with the weight loss,had to chuckle at that, just wanderin wot it could be ,so another examination yuck, i have terrible joint pain so want to ask about this, im signed off from work thank god i dont think i could do the job cos im so tired, they did mention a iliostimie to me that if they were to operate,which up too now been ok,lovely hearing from you take care
love and hugs:kiss:l
sandra xx