• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just been given a 5 day course of steroids.....

Hi. As title says. Is this normal. Doc said would hopefully reduce inflammation but hasn't told me what happens then. Also, is only 5 days enough? Can anyone help me! Thanks.

Is this a GI doctor of GP? How did they determine you had inflammation and did they say to what extent? I know for me, when I'm in a flare, a 5 day course of steroids would not help me. Whether it would be sufficient for you depends on a variety of factors. Perhaps he wants you to take them for 5 days, see how you feel and from there decide further testing/medicine?

Its all a bit of a mess. GI doctor didn't fax prescription so gp gave me the steroids. I've had a pill cam which showed inflammation and ulcers and a raised faecal calprotectin level (317). Just so confused!

scottsma

Maybe you GP hopes to get your results from your GI soon,and has given you a short dose to get you started ? Do you have to see your GP when you've finished the course ?
It's usual to be given a months prescription,starting at 40mg and tapering weekly to 5mg.
Then you should get a follow up appt., with your GI to see how you're doing.Can you phone the IBD nurse at the hospital and tell her of your concern.Or the GI.s secretary should be able to help.Of course it's Friday,and everything grinds to a hault

Hi, I was first given a 5 day course of steroids (40mg) with a review at the end of the 5 days. Once my GP realised they were helping I was then prescribed more with the plan of tapering down each week, currently down to 30mg. Hope this helps in some way :)

Thanks for the replies guys. Spoke to GIs secretary this morning and she was supposed to ring me back today but didnt! Haven't got any follow up appointments booked and usually just have to wait for a letter which will probably be in a few months! GP didn't tell me to make another appointment with him either. I don't think I'm very good at all this.. .

Thats a bit weird as they should follow up with you and keep track of your progress. I had been on pred in Dec for 2months and im back on pred again they gave me again for 2months so far so many pred. How will know if doing well? What if the 5 day pred doesnt work? Did they do testing?

I was released from the hospital and ordered to take 40mg of pred until I could meet with my GI doctor. I got in to meet him in less than a week and our plan was to taper down 10mg each week unless my symptoms came back and then I had to up it to the dosage where I didn't have any symptoms. Made it down to 10mg and then had to bump it back up to 20 mg due to symptoms (stomach pains and bloody bm). I wouldn't think that 5 days would make anything go away but maybe you didn't have as much inflammation where they felt you needed it for weeks. I would definitely do all you can to follow up with your doctor. I have found that its best to be aggressive with my doctor because when I wasn't I ended up in the hospital for a weekend and I don't want that again. We have to be our own advocates. Best of luck to you!

I wouldn't worry too much about 'not being good at this', I know it can sometimes feel like a minefield with all the information you get given. I always forget to ask something or miss something they say. I would just ring your GP if possible and ask what their plan is

scottsma

I agree with phoning your Doc.It's perfectly reasonable to be concerned.Write down what you want to ask him/her. eg.what to do if symptoms persist after you finish the course.
It's not right that it hasn't been made clear.