• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just Exhausted...

/Hello, I'm 45 years old and was diagnosed with IBS more than 13 years ago, but had a great deal of bowel issues ever since I was a child. When I was 5 I was given some contaminated liquid medication for an illness. More than 11 people nationwide died from this contaminated medicine. I escaped with internal intestinal bleeding, bowel obstruction, etc. I was cared for at home at the request of my mother but my pediatrician had suggested I be hospitalized. My bowels were never the same. I had many "stomach attacks" as a child through my 20's.

Fast forward to now and I have had yellow to light brown explosive diarrhea chronically for many weeks. The pain that sometimes accompanies it is unbearable at times. Back when I was dx with IBS it only bothered me through the morning and felt a lot better in the afternoon. I was only prescribed Lomotil and managed somehow. A colonoscopy years later revealed nothing extraordinary. This was done during a quiet period of my life, a remission of sorts. Years later I found myself more constipated than not, and when I would go there was some blood.

However now I can barely leave my house, I am exhausted all the time, especially on days where the attacks are frequent. I know I become quite dehydrated, as my rings spin and slip off my fingers each day after the attacks quiet down. I'm no longer confined to mornings, it lasts all day even at bedtime. My abdomen and belly are bloated and sore... this is getting worse and worse as these symptoms carry on. Sometimes my gums or teeth hurt when symptoms are especially bad, and I get horrible hot flushes during the night before. I also have strong rectal pressure and some gas. But when I have the diarrhea there is almost no time to get to the restroom no matter where I am. As I said it is very difficult to leave my house these days.

Do these symptoms sound like anything more than IBS? I do have an appointment in about a month with a gastroenterologist, and I expect to have a colonoscopy in short order.

Thank you for this forum and for your help.

kj3516

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm glad to hear you have as appointment with a GI booked. Are you still getting dehydrated?

The only blood work I've had done was for celiac disease and that came back normal several years ago. I have had some cbc's come back indicating inflammation somewhere but no one ever pursued that. I keep drinking to try to avoid dehydration. the food often goes right through me too, unfortunately.

It sounds like you are having a flare and your energy has been zapped. Probably low on B12 and iron. Maybe try to get some and take them everyday. Iron though can cause constipation but it doesn't sound like you will have this issue. Make sure the GI tests you for B12 and iron and inflammation as well. I am so sorry you are going through this! hugs! keep us posted.