• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just feel the need to get my story off my chest.

I'm 22, male and from England and I've finally decided to create an account on the website after a few years of occasionally checking on what people have to say.

I'm not entirely sure when my symptoms began but I lived a relatively healthy life up (even if i was almost underweight) until I was about 16/17. I'd get flu like symptoms going to the toilet often and just feel sick every few months and occasionally vomit . Doctors weren't sure what was wrong with me some said virus and some said I was just stressed and at one point I had an exploratory colonoscopy which didn't find anything. I was miserable. This continued until I was around 18/19 and then the abdomen pains started. At first it was random coming and going and then at one point it was every day for about a week. I was sick of going to hospitals and doctors so I just took a few paracetamol to numb the pain and try to carry on. One day I just felt terrible and the paracetamol wasn't working. The pain stayed there all day and I started to feel worse so I decided to have an early night (something extremely rare for me). I didn't sleep well the pain constantly waking me up and eventually at 6:00am it got too bad. I had to go to the hospital.

My Dad woke up straight away and drove me there, every bump in the road increasing the pain as we went along. Eventually we got there and the first doctor to see me thought I might have appendicitis, something I found hard to believe. Eventually the main surgeon came in and doubted the diagnosis and sent me to have an ultrasound. I went for an ultrasound and in less than 5 minutes he knew what was wrong. "That looks like Crohn's disease". It had taken 5 minutes to find out what 2 years of doctors couldn't figure out. I was briefly elated. Finally they knew what was wrong! My elation quickly faded as it was revealed that Crohn's disease is incurable. Great.... I spent much of the next week in hospital hooked up to fluids and steroids and I met the medical team I would come to know over the next few years. They explained that my disease was located in the small intestine near the ileum. I was prescribed prednisolone and was discharged.

After a checkup it was revealed they wanted to start me on azathioprine to try and help things started to be going well until December 24th at around 11pm. Pain. But it was unlike any pain i've ever felt before I was in complete agony. Then the vomiting started. It would temporarily believe it then and then i'd just pass out/sleep. Over and over and over. This happened until about 9 the next morning. I was spent but finally there was no pain and no more vomiting. The doctors said I'd likely had a reaction to the azathioprine. Next they tried mercaptopurine. Little over a month later and the same happened (the night before one of my university exams). Great timing. Again the pain was enormous and the vomiting was constant. Finally stopping in the morning again. I took the exam (which I badly failed) and traveled back to my parents. Something was very wrong. More appointments, more tests. Different doctor. They believed my bowel may have partially obstructed and i'd need surgery. They sent me for another ultrasound. I will always remember the look on the guy who performed it. I don't know if it was shock or the fact he knew things were badly wrong. He disappeared for a few minutes and then came the surgeon I met before and my new doctor. They explained that the situation was worse than before and i'd need surgery in the coming days and i'd likely need a ileostomy. The one thing I wanted to avoid. Another appointment before the surgery and my hopes were somewhat raised, I might actually avoid a stoma!

Surgery. I remember being surprisingly calm. I went in and I went to sleep. I woke up really groggily in the post-op and started to move around and a bunch of nurses ran over to me to stop me checking my wounds. I asked if I ended up having a stoma and they said yes. I was completely crushed and inconsolably sad. The surgeon came to see me and said after starting surgery it was apparent things were worse than expected. The surgery was expected to last a bit over 2 hours and ended up lasting nearly 5. There were several joined bits of intestine and parts were starting to form fistulas and had to be removed. I don't remember the number of inches of intestine I lost but it was numerous. The week in hospital was difficult. I was very high on morphine due to the large amount of pain I was in. I also had a difficult time walking due to the severity of the surgery. A week after the surgery I was discharged.

Everything about the stoma I hated. I couldn't sleep properly due to being used to lying on my front or side and that didn't go well with my stoma. The output was very acidic liquid and would burn my surrounding skin. I couldn't really do sport and I couldn't live a normal life and I had to take a hiatus from university. I ended up becoming horribly depressed. I spent nearly 6 months in my bedroom. Every time I saw my doctors and surgeon I'd always push for the possibility of reversing it. Eventually in September it was reversed and I remember waking up and never being happier. The wound took months to heal but it wasn't too bad and when it had fully healed I was elated that I felt somewhat normal again. Due to the amount of intestine removed food does pass through me faster but I take a prescribed powder that alleviates this. My life is finally back in order and I feel alive again :).

I appreciate that anybody who actually took time to read this will find it difficult to follow (i'm not a natural writer) and a long read and I apologise. I just felt the need to share.

Thanks for the support! Of course I'm not out of the woods yet (never can tell with Crohn's), but things are definitely better than before :)

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello! welcome to the community :). I'm so glad to see a positive story, it's always nice to see someone feeling better and winning the battle :). This place is very friendly as I'm sure you've seen, so if you ever need anything, let us know and we will do our best to help you. Feel free to have a scout around the forum and chip in anywhere you feel you can. We are always glad of new voices who can share their experiences :).

Do you mind if I ask if you are currently taking any medications other than the one for fast transit? Please keep us updated on how things are going for you :) .

It's strange how different people's reactions can be. I love my stoma and wouldn't be without it. Was there a particular reason your stoma prevented you from doing sport and gave you problems sleeping? I can lie on my stoma and sleep on it all night just fine (if at all possible I've always slept in a foetal position on my right side - right where my stoma is), and it doesn't prevent me doing any activity. I often wish now that I'd had my stoma when I was at uni as it would have been so much better!

I hope you'll be able to resume university soon, and have no further problems. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the support guys! Apart from the ones for other health issues I take vitamin d3 capsules which is somehow linked to my Crohn's. I've had a couple of small flare ups in the past year and have an appointment in may/june where they might decide to put me on something.

Regarding the stoma. I hated everything about it. It didn't feel right, the output was very liquid and acidic so my skin would irritated. I also had problems with having the bags to stick well to my skin which caused more issues. Also, feel a lot of it was my self perception and always being aware it was there I just couldn't take my mind off it. However, I'm glad you find it works for you. Also, I'm actually back at university, have been for a year and a half and am currently studying abroad :)