• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just got diagnosed in August

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum and I have to say I really enjoy it. It has helped me to not feel so alone in having this crummy disease!
Anyways.. Here is my story.
When I was younger, I had awful awful eating habits would drench everything in hot sauce, maintained high stress levels did not take care of myself at all now I am wishing I could go back in time and give myself a talking to! I lose my mom when I was 21 she was sick for 5 years during that time I developed stomach pain and worsening anxiety/stress all the time , again I would either not eat or drench things in hot sauce but eat very little of anything. I got married last October, shortly after that I started having severe pain after I would try and eat anything it was so bad I would have to crawl up the stairs. Finally one day in January I had a high fever,chills, was throwing up and had severe stomach pain, I was rushed to the hospital and they had said it was just a stomach infection but it had spread to my blood so they had to act fast. A GI saw me when I was there and said one of the tests they sent me for ( CT scan) had come up with inflammation in my lower intestine. They got my fever down and I felt normal for a little bit and got sent home. A week later I was still in great pain made a appointment to see the GI that saw me in the hospital. I was sent for a MRI and all this time every doctor, even the GI was very doubtful I had Crohn's disease and thought it was just a stomach infection. And all that time I was in severe pain, lost 10 pounds in 2 months, could not eat anything without being in pain, could not even walk up the stairs my husband had to help me and practically carry me up the stairs. My MRI showed the same inflammation and I got a kind of diagnosis at the end of June. My GI wanted to do a colonoscopy though so he did that and my Colon was normal as well as my large intestine. So, again he was doubtful of Crohn's. The beginning of July he put me on 20 mgs of prednisone and I had to start weaning off after my colonoscopy. I went 2 weeks with no symptoms and then they came back pretty badly, So i went back on 5 mgs till I saw him next. Got my "official" diagnosis at the end of August, was good on 5 mgs until last week I had another flare ( just started school, anxiety is very high) so now I am on 6 mgs and need to keep increasing if my symptoms dont settle. What is frusterating is when you are diagnosed, no one really tells you what you are supposed to do, supposed to eat. I know it is different for everyone but just some answers would be great :(

Anyways thank you for reading my long rambly story :)

Lady Organic

Staff member
Hi there and welcome. Im sorry for your diagnosis. It sure goes fast in the dr's office. Next time you meet your team, write down your questions on a sheet. Ask to the nurse, they can help too. A nutritionnist at the hospital may also be available, but you have to ask your GI or nurse for a referral, otherwise its unlikely they will offer it. In the meantime, you can take a look at IBD-AID diet in my signature. Look for table 2 in the article, the food chart is there and may be of some benefits. good luck!

Honey

Staff member
H there and welcome, it takes time to get the right meds that suit you. Also, we are all different in our response to treatment and symptoms vary. You will find in time, certain foods that aggravate your tummy and condition. For me, that is creamy rich sauces and strong cheese. Ask questions of your Consultant, it helps to be informed. Do not get too anxious though. Good luck.