• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just got diagnosed with Crohn's today

A little Backround I'm a 22 year old male who has no know history of any kind of bowl issues so I didn't think I would get anything like Crohn's.

I have been having pain in my rectum for almost a year now while having a stool with some blood, I also had some serve weight lost but as someone with oce and anxiety I though that was a result of being stressed out.

Then around last December I started having dihherra for over a week then after going to to a gastroenterologist it went away. The doctor who told me to have Sitz bath for the fissure and to have colonoscopy to be safe.

Well today I had the colonoscopy and the gastroenterologist told me I have Crohn's and yeah I have been depressed day. Now I didn't hear all the details the doctor told my mother who drive me to the hospital and back.

I don't know how serve it is I still sedated but I have had diherra off and one since December but the diherra happens at most 4 times a day and that doesn't happen often, my mither was skinny at my age so is the weight lose related to the Crohn's any ideas.

And how much more likley is someone with cd to get cancer and are there any new breakthrough and medicine on the horizon!

Last edited:
I am sorry to hear about the diagnosis.

Now first off, I lost a ton of weight before I hit remission! Food just wouldn't digest, and so I had chronic diarrhea because of it. That caused me to lose lots of weight.

As far as cancer goes, just don't worry about it. My quality of life dropped significantly when I was constantly worried about what may or may not happen when I was diagnosed. I do have faith in modern medicine though, if I hypothetically got cancer from my crohn's I doubt that all hope would be lost. Most doctors will be very cautious about these things.

It may not seem like it, but I promise. Things will get better.

Welcome to the group. I am sorry for what you are going through. I have lost weight related to the Crohn's Disease. People are doing research all the time. Please let us know how you are doing.

So sorry to hear you joined the club! When my husband was diagnosed, he was flaring pretty badly and lost around 30 pounds. Its only a matter of time until your doctors find the right combination of medicine for you. Once its done, you will start feeling better! My husband started gaining all the lost weight once his meds started working. Your crohn's doesn't turn into cancer, ever. Some of the meds have side effects but serious ones are very rare and you have a bigger chance of death with untreated crohn's than anything else (my opinion) :)

Hang in there and pop over here anytime you wanna talk. Good luck!

Your crohn's doesn't turn into cancer, ever.
Wow, Madhu, that sounds great!
By what theory can you make that grand statement?
I have never heard that, and it contradicts actual cancer rate statistics?
Thanks for sharing such a hopeful message!

Welcome to the forum Robertp, plenty you can learn here.
Many of our members wish they would become formally diagnosed.
Sorry to hear of your struggles.
be as well as you can,
Walt

ps
Worry can wind-up your guts, which can awaken & exacerbate IBD.
serenity now!
:D

Hey Walt, what I simply meant was - Just because you have Crohn's, it does not turn into cancer after a while. The biologics and many other meds that bring Crohn's to remission are told to have side effects - one of which is cancer. I meant it this way because a few weeks back, a user sent me a PM asking how long until her husband's crohn's turned into cancer.

I don't have any proof to support my statement but this is just my belief. No offense :)

So sorry to hear you joined the club! When my husband was diagnosed, he was flaring pretty badly and lost around 30 pounds. Its only a matter of time until your doctors find the right combination of medicine for you. Once its done, you will start feeling better! My husband started gaining all the lost weight once his meds started working. Your crohn's doesn't turn into cancer, ever. Some of the meds have side effects but serious ones are very rare and you have a bigger chance of death with untreated crohn's than anything else (my opinion) :)

Hang in there and pop over here anytime you wanna talk. Good luck!
She is right. Crohn's does not turn into cancer. It is true that Crohn's patients are at a greater risk of developing cancer of the gut, but Crohn's does not turn into cancer.

http://www.ccfa.org/resources/risk-of-colorectal-cancer.html?referrer=https://www.google.co.in/

Cigarette smoking increases cancer risk, as does many other things including genetics.