• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just joined/ Been struggling since 2002

I remember several trips to the ER between 2000-2002 with constant bathroom runs (pun intended), and after being re-hydrated and sent home feeling better for several months. Nobody took me seriously until I was in so much pain I thought I was having an appendicitis attack. Oh I have Crohn's disease? Wait...are you telling me I have a disease? Am I dying? Is it treatable? Uggg...

I was diagnosed when I was 22 years old, but I had always had issues with dairy (lactose intolerance) and spicy foods and basically anytime I overate. I joined a support group at that time, but I was so young and so embarrassed that I just tried dealing with it on my own. That doesn't work well.

I'm currently having a pretty bad flare up after happily being in remission for over 2 years. I gained 50 pounds while on remission and now in the last few weeks I'm down 10 pounds.

My biggest issue with this is that I feel like I'm constantly apologizing to my husband, or to my parents, or to my coworkers and even complete strangers. My husband jokes about how I have seen the inside of every bathroom of every place we have gone.

I just want to stop apologizing for a while...sorry!

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome.
I'm glad you decided to join.

I don't think you owe anyone an apology. You've done nothing wrong. You're dealing with a very difficult disease the best you can.

I've just started to take my own advice on this one...don't beat yourself up. I've spent the last 6 years feeling very guilty for being sick and operating at a much lower level than I expect. But I can honestly look in the mirror at the end of the day and say I've done the best I can with the cards I've been dealt. I didn't run a marathon but I took a walk even though I felt lousy.

Sending you my support.

Jennifer do not worry! I've been their my family knows what's what. Trips to the ER, hospital stays are as I call them sleep over. They roll their eyes. It sounds like your hubby is a keeper. My husband smiles and goes with the flow. Do not apology to any one. I 'v been in a out of remission. I let them know if it's real bad. They stand on guard by me. What I do do is I thank my husband. Thank yous, helps me I do to the nurse ,housekeeping ect. When I though up and make a mess. This will make you stronger. I will get though never forget those who love us. I've read on this site people's family did not want to be anywhere near them . No support at all! You are way ahead just wish per in his ear Thank You!

David

Co-Founder
Welcome to the community! I can assure you there is no need to apologize to anyone here, that's for sure :)

What is your current treatment regimen? Did they change it up with the recent flare?