• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just Started Humira. What am I in for?

Hi everyone! This is my first post here. I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in 2008. After being on Prednisone and hating it, I managed my systems with diet for 8 years. I would have flairs every so often, but for the most part, the diet worked. Not so anymore. My symptoms manafiest themselves extra-gastronomically -- mostly joint pain, oral ulcers, and fissures. About four months ago I started getting painful blisters all over my body and the diagnosis was that it was related to the Crohn's. So, I decided to bite the bullet and try Humira. I had my first loading dose last night. Sure the shots burn, but I'm more worried about side effects. So far I feel fine. I haven't grown a second head.

What can I expect? Do side effects happen right away, or does it take time? When will I start to reap the benefits of taking Humira? I'd love to hear your stories both good and bad.

Thanks.

Welcome. I was on Humira for a while last year and didn't notice any side effects. Everyone is different but I have read the longest where it could take effect was six months. Have you gone to a rheumatologist about your joint pain?

I just got bad joint pain about a week after my loading dose. Feels like I worked out too hard the night before.

Crohn's felt great though! It worked that quickly for me.

Hi. Im 17 and i started humira 2 weeks ago. I didn't feel a thing when injecting and haven't had any side affects. My next loading does in 2 days. In fact I actually feel the effects working now others have said up to 6 months. No side effects for me.