• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just started taking azathioprine

Hi everyone,
So I have just started taking azathioprine, how has this been for you guys?
Everything has been pretty good now that I have pretty much recovered from the operation, but I am still going to the toilet a few too many times a day :/
I am going back to school next week for the first time in about 7 weeks... I am excited to go back, but I am also really scared...
Do you think I should be settled down by then? It is the fourth week since having the operation.

-Jess xoxo :)

Hi Jess, I haven't had any operations so I can't comment on that but Aza has worked pretty well for me, I'm only on 100mgs, will probably up my dose to 125, hope you feel better soon, keep in mind it generally takes about 8 weeks for the aza to become effective.

nogutsnoglory

I was on 6mp which is basically the same drug just a different metabolism to them. I was on it for 2 1/2 years and I got sick all the time with upper respiratory and sinus infections. I also don't think it was effective since I had major surgery.

Everyone is different though and I hope the drug works great for you.

jess,
i took my 2nd dose of 50mg azathioprine today, so while i dont know whats in store in the future, im here with you. i hope this works. the asacol wasnt doing the trick so i had to keep taking prednisone and the doc wanted to add azathioprine. i too hope it works.

Hi jess, from my personal experience and from what I've heard from others on the forum and various other support groups it can take up to 8 weeks for you to get to a new 'normal'.
I say a new normal because depending on what part of your intestines has been removed it can affect your ability to absorb water and process certain types of fibre.

I can still go up to 3 times a day and I'm approaching the ten week mark.

As for azathioprine I've been on it before and after my operation and I've found it to be a great drug for maintaining remission as long as you follow your GI's other health advice and you don't smoke or drink too heavily.