• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just Starting Remicade and Trying to lose Weight

Hey all, I’m a 20 year old from Dallas, Texas and in July I was recently diagnosed with Crohn’s disease. I just barely started taking Remicade and yes the meds are helping immensely. Finally having the energy and remission levels to actually start working out again. Sadly though I have seen weight gain and I am not happy with this. Over the years I have been fighting with it. Anyway that begs the question because it seems as though most of the time Remicade seems to cause weight gain. Has anyone had success for successfully losing weight while on Remicade? I’ve been researching far and wide and can’t quite find something. Starting Remicade kickstarted me and made me realize I want to be healthy again. And eventually I hope to lose 55-65lbs and not let my disease control my life. I know it’ll be a immense battle but I hope that I can figure out a workout program and diet to take back my life! Any and all help would be appreciated, I want to also make it so other people suffering from Crohn’s can find a way easier to lose weight as welll! Thanks for anything! I want graduation to be at 170-180
lbs and be the happiest I’ve been despite it only being in 7 months.

I use a free app called My Fitness Pal. You input everything you put in your mouth. Once you have your basic foods in the system, it goes a lot faster. It tracks your calories, carbs, fat, protein, sodium and sugar. You can also track your exercise. Put in your weight, and how much you want to lose, and it will tell you how many calories a day you should have. It showed that I don't get enough protein in my diet, which is good to know. Good luck, you can do this.