• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just took my first pill

Hi all,

I was officially diagnosed with Crohn's today. I just took my 1st 50mg Prednisone tablet. I swear I already feel a little puffy...

I remember the exact minute my Crohn's symptoms started. It was about 4 years ago and my neighbor brought over some Mojitos. I don't drink ever and I had 2 of these nasty concoctions. The next morning I had to go to the ER with severe pain in my upper abdominal area and my stomach hasn't been right since. I'm not saying the alcohol caused the Crohns, just sayin'...

I had blood tests and colonoscopy back then, but nothing showed up as being wrong. My GI Dr told me it was likely due to psychosocial issues (ie stress) and there wasnt much he could do. I was pretty sure something was wrong but the DR said...

Fast forward 4 years, I lost thirty pounds and the diarrhea is now bloody diarrhea. Another colonoscopy, CT scan with the drink, and calprotectin (860) and my Dr now says I have Crohns. I feel relieved to finally have a diagnosis and start treatment that will hopefully get my tummy feeling better. But I'm kind of anxious about the side effects of the meds...Ill let you guys know how I make out.

All the best...Dave

Dave,
Hi. Prednisone is scary, i remember when i first started it (40mg) and was pretty sure i was going to "moon face" immediately, never happened to me. Although it may, just breathe, and ride it out. It will help your symptoms! Usually ot is a short term treatment whole they start you on other maintenence meds, have you had discussions about other meds yet?

David

Co-Founder
Hey there Dave and welcome to the community. I'm glad you were finally able to get a diagnosis!

Has your doctor outlined a treatment plan for once you wean off the prednisone?

All my best to you.

Welcome,the mojito,s didn't,t do it,crohns bubbles away behind the scenes for ages until it just randomly makes us unwell.good luck all the best

Lady Organic

Staff member
hi and welcome, the side effects of prednisone can indeed come real fast, as well as health sometimes. Once having a bad flare, in just a few days after taking 50mg pred, my bowel mouvements got back to normal, I remember thinking this was magic! Best wishes.

I am going back to see my GI Dr in 6 wks or so to see how I respond to the Prednisone and then develop a treatment plan. The Dr gave me a lot of reading material and I think the hope is after the Prednisone taper to try Imuran for maintenance. He also briefly mentioned remicade.

I have to admit, I think I feel a little better even after just 2 of the Prednisone tablets. Maybe its just a psychological thing because that seems pretty quick, but I'll take it.

I am going back to see my GI Dr in 6 wks or so to see how I respond to the Prednisone and then develop a treatment plan. The Dr gave me a lot of reading material and I think the hope is after the Prednisone taper to try Imuran for maintenance. He also briefly mentioned
Mhmmm. 6 weeks? That's quite a long time for only pred and no maintenance drug start. This type of treatment is the "old school" system of steroids first, then let's see what we do and has been phased out for quite some time. Today, docs look at the symptoms, which in your case where pretty strong, and go for a biologic treatment right away, likely alongside steroids. And even if you start with azathioprine (imuran) instead of a biologic (like remicade, or better humira), starting it right away instead of waiting 6 weeks makes sense, as azathioprine will take 2-3 months to kick in.

So, it is great you started to look for information on here and the internet in general. I guess, the first thing I'd still do is call your doc and ask why he is not putting you on maintenance drug therapy (most likely Humira for your type of symptoms and history) right away.

David

Co-Founder
I am going back to see my GI Dr in 6 wks or so to see how I respond to the Prednisone and then develop a treatment plan. The Dr gave me a lot of reading material and I think the hope is after the Prednisone taper to try Imuran for maintenance. He also briefly mentioned remicade.

I have to admit, I think I feel a little better even after just 2 of the Prednisone tablets. Maybe its just a psychological thing because that seems pretty quick, but I'll take it.
Sounds good.

And yes, you can start to feel better after just a couple prednisone. Here's to you starting to feel better and better :)