• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just want some input

I'm new at this so here goes nothing.... I'm an 18 year old boy, a senior in high school who was taking multiple AP classes, working at least 2 part time jobs at at time and volunteering almost 20 hours a week at national ski patrol. I was planning on going to the air force academy and recently got accepted.
however, none of this really matters right now. back in October I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis after being very sick for a few months. I was put on prednisone and it started to get under control. I thought that colitis was just a minor inconvenience and ddnt realize how bad it could become. in January I started to flare up again, but like I said I did very little because I didn't realize how bad it could get. I ended up in the hospital by the beginning of February for anemia, malnutrition, dehydration, and exhaustion. they said I would be there 4 to 5 days and then should have reached some sort of remission, after 12 days in the hospital with little progress I went home and started taking more medications.
I am currently on prednisone, asacolec, canasa, mercaptapurine, iron supplements, pro biotics and percocet for pain. the pain for the past two weeks has been nearly unbareable and I don't seem to be getting better with all these medications, and if anything the pain is getting worse. the bleeding hasn't gotten bad since I was in the hospital though. I am currently missing a day or two of school a week, had to drop some classes, I can't play on the tennis team I am a captai. of, and I'm out sick from work so I am not making any money, plus I found out I can never be in the air force.
so what I am looking for here is just any advice. I can't get through a day without percocet because of the pain, but I am really trying to avoid the biologicals. I'm new with the whole colitis thing so I'm just looking for ideas. any medications, or just things to help get through the day that anyone can recommend. also another problem has been the dietary issue. going from a teenagers diet to that of someone with colitis is hard, can anyone recommend snack food that doesn't hurt for the times that I'm not so nasueous that i can actually eat.
sorry for such a long back story I'm just looking for help....and sorry if I misspelled anything too badly I'm on my phone.

Hey! I've had Crohn's since I was 9 and I'm 26 now. The best advice is don't over work yourself, which it seems like you are doing. Find ways to relax and really take time out of the day to do it. Try yoga and do a food journal. Write down everything you eat and if it hurts your stomach avoid it. I avoid dairy and red meat. This is something you can grow out of. I think I'm growing out of it now. Don't get your hopes up, but seriously consider cutting some things out of your schedule that don't need to be there. I don't want to suggest anything that may cause moral and ethical issues but the forums on MM seem promising. I've never tried it for the pain, but it's something to look into. Best of luck.

there is a diet called the Specific carbohydrate diet and a book which explains what that is but ill tell you the basics here.

basically the goal is to starve bacteria which contribute to symptoms especially diarrhea, you can exert quite a bit of control over the toxins the bacteria produce by lowering sucrose(refined white or table sugar) and lactose(milk sugar) intake and limiting select complex carbs/starches for example corn is one which is recommended to stay away from on the diet. the diet also suggests eating yogurt to help control symptoms as well. i will have to say that this does decrease symptoms quite a bit. This diet should be followed while still taking your medications. Its not going to cure you though, but you will find it will help you avoid alot of complications. i have used these principles for four year and do not use medication, but consider my testimony to be a rare case, everyones disease is slightly different.

good luck. also try rose hips tea.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to hear that you are still having problems with the tum :( Where in the abdomen are you experiencing the pain and is it a sharp stab or like a constant ache? Have you noticed whether certain foods make it worse and what dosages of the pred and mercaptopurine are you on? When are you next due to see your GI?

AB
xx