• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just want to vent

Hi all

I got a anal abscess last month which then turned into a fitsula.

Pain increased so bad I ended up at a and e one Sunday in desperation. I was told I would have a op the following day but it never happened, surgeon didn't want to do a op without a mri scan and I've had to wait until the end of August to have this

The antibiotics the hospital gave me (flagyl and another) ran out so today I've been to see my gp to get more antibiotics to see me over

He has given me 2 more weeks of flagyl and offered me a sick note, but at work I'm able to distract myself from the pain so I declined

He then proceeded to tell me just how bad a fitsula is. In his words physically and mentally draining and he's had one other patient with this who got depressed and it's a seriously long time of recovery, basically come out of the appointment really depressed about my future with this. Especially as he said it will probably one back dispite the operation etc. I just feel so down just completely fed up.

I've read stories from others and was hoping to be on the mend 4 weeks after the op but the way he was talking I'm going to be laid up for months. It's currently the summer holidays in the uk and I can't do much, today has been spent sleeping as its my day off freig like a complete naff parent!

Can anybody share their positive stories of recovery? I know everybody and every case is different but I need a little bit of hope right now 😢

Welcome. There is in this forum a section called Fistulas , Fissures and Abscesses. You might want to check it out.