• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Kamut or Spelt bread?

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
Picked up a loaf of each at a specialty baker today. Looked at the somewhat unappetizing rice loaf and balked.

Going with the premise that maybe I'm having problems with wheat. I understand that Spelt and Kamut do contain gluten, but with different properties than those found in wheat or rye. At worst, they're not going to hurt me any worse.

Trying them now toasted with a little margerine and peanut butter. So far so good.

Anyone else try these grains?

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
Yeah, I've got some almond butter too (just for a change of pace from PB).

I think if I had a serious gluten allergy, it would have long ago manifested itself. My line of thinking right now while I'm flaring is that maybe wheat is more irritating. I've always eaten whole wheat and multigrain. Haven't had ordinary white bread in years (other than on the occasional burger).

Last edited:
good idea to pass on the rice bread. i bought a loaf once, and it was awful! it's very dense, like a sliced brick, and it's tough to chew. never mind the fact that it has a sour aftertaste.

i've never tried kamut or spelt though. i hope they don't give you problems like wheat does!

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
RHOV said:
good idea to pass on the rice bread. i bought a loaf once, and it was awful! it's very dense, like a sliced brick, and it's tough to chew. never mind the fact that it has a sour aftertaste.

i've never tried kamut or spelt though. i hope they don't give you problems like wheat does!
I'd just as soon have the plain boiled rice over its bread variant, tossing in whatever I would put on a sandwich.

The bread/bread substitute is more a case of having something convenient to take to work.